• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few pictures from Thanksgiving Eve

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Hedgepostcorneratsunset.jpg

Hedgepost corner at sunset
Hedgepostcornertakenwithaflash.jpg

Same scene, with a flash
Sunsetonthemeadow.jpg

Sunset on the meadow
Curiousheifercalvesatsunset.jpg

Curious heifer calves
Heiferatnight.jpg

Black in a flash
Earstoyou.jpg

Ears to you

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like your picture's the last one's the best.

On your replacement heifers are you feeding them at home this year or sending them elsewhere?

Denny said:
On your replacement heifers are you feeding them at home this year or sending them elsewhere?

We are feeding them at home, at least until calving time. They are on pretty good meadow aftergrass for the time being, and have available Vigortone mineral and salt. They are getting used to 20% cake, and we will get them up to about two and a half pounds per day before long. When the meadow grass plays out, they will get good quality native hay with a lot of red clover and timothy.

In late January, before calving time rolls around, we will trail 200 heifers up to a neighbor's place to the north which is about fifteen miles away. He will feed them for 95 cents per head per day, and will AI them for $25 per head. By trailing them to and from, freight costs won't be an issue.

Soapweed said:
Denny said:

We are feeding them at home, at least until calving time. They are on pretty good meadow aftergrass for the time being, and have available Vigortone mineral and salt. They are getting used to 20% cake, and we will get them up to about two and a half pounds per day before long. When the meadow grass plays out, they will get good quality native hay with a lot of red clover and timothy.

In late January, before calving time rolls around, we will trail 200 heifers up to a neighbor's place to the north which is about fifteen miles away. He will feed them for 95 cents per head per day, and will AI them for $25 per head. By trailing them to and from, freight costs won't be an issue.

I here you on the freight I had a chance to graze a piece of ground here but the rent was cheap enough the trucking made it not economical so we trailed them to the home place for the winter there's enough corn trash and pasture for a couple of weeks but it sounds like we may have 6" or more of snow by this time next week.

Happy Thanksgiving better go do some chores is'nt getting any warmer out..

Soapweed said:
Denny said:

I sure hope you cleared the AI bulls EPD's with Doc. I wouldn't want to listen to another years worth of what you should have dones. :wink: Or are did you collect some semen off your unregistered Yearlings before you shipped them? :cowboy:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Soapweed said:
Denny said:

I sure hope you cleared the AI bulls EPD's with Doc. I wouldn't want to listen to another years worth of what you should have dones. :wink: Or are did you collect some semen off your unregistered Yearlings before you shipped them? :cowboy:
:shock: :shock: Leapin' Straws, Batman :p Have I been tryin' to straighten out Soap on his breedin' practices for a year?? :eek: It hardly seems possible!! And Soap didn't even mention his intentions to me! :???: :( :cry: Oh, well. Tomorrow's another day (or Year) and I won't give up! EPD's are TOO important to just - - throw in the towel! :wink:

DOC HARRIS

Soapweed-thanks for those awesome pictures-you really come up with some great pictures! Oh-on EPDs-why would you worry about that when you have cattle like Soapweed and his family raise. I saw some of their calves sell and WOW! what a set of even thick and whatever else calves! I bet they know what they are doing in the livestock end of things!

Wit h the great job Soapweed does managing his place, I don't think he needs to explain a thing to any of us. But I feel we are all fortunate that he shares as much as he does.

I salute him in what he does and how he cares for the animals in his charge.

Always love looking at your pictures! Does your nieghbor want any more heifers to feed ? Ha ha Why aren't you entering pictures in the photo contest?

Latest posts