• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

a few pictures...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Reaction score

not sure why, but I brought home a sickly colt a few years ago...

Coming along...

Black cows on green grass......stunning!!!
You did good betting on that black colt. How old is he now? How is he riding?
How much rope do you pack? Your horn is wrapped in mulehide....so you can slip your rope? Just curious. You don't see
that much around here. Rather neat.
Things look magnificent at your place. You can see and sense the love you put into everything.
Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you are back!!
I think I'll use that first photo for my desktop.... :D

Faster horses said:
Black cows on green grass......stunning!!!
You did good betting on that black colt. How old is he now? How is he riding?
How much rope do you pack? Your horn is wrapped in mulehide....so you can slip your rope? Just curious. You don't see
that much around here. Rather neat.
Things look magnificent at your place. You can see and sense the love you put into everything.
Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you are back!!
I think I'll use that first photo for my desktop.... :D

Thanks! He just turned 5. I haven't started riding him yet but he's ready now and I'll be riding him shortly. He grew a lot over the winter. I now wait to start riding them until 4 or 5 years old instead of 2 year olds like I used to. All my ropes are at least 60 foot. I love using the longer ropes and I think it's been 15 years now since I've team roped and have used anything shorter than 60. I have metal hondas on some, regular hondas on a couple and use San Joaquin hondas. I did burn a track on that saddles horn and can slide the rope with that one, but I mostly cover all my horns with rubber....even the wade tree horns sometimes at the moment. I always rope and ride alone and usually need the rope to hold really good! When my boys get to roping, we'll be in a lot more situations to slide the ropes while working them....I can't wait for those days...should be lots of fun! We're having lots of fun! My wife still works 3 nights a week in town, but we're really trying to up our cowherd numbers now so maybe she can stay home too all the time someday here. Great way of life! I hope all is well up at your place! :D

I've not agreed with riding 2 year olds, three is much better. 4 and 5 is good, they just require more riding as they are stouter. We had a fine young man living with us (that is a horse trainer now of his own merit) and he got some wild horses out of the Hole-In-The-Wall country west of Kaycee, Wy. They were 9 and 10 years old. He was hand enough even then (15 years old) that he got them well broke.
One made his sister a jumping horse and the other a ranch horse that could really travel.

He and his father were good horsemen and ran a big ranch. They would ride a horse and lead a colt (2 or 3 year old) so the colt wouldn't get ridden too hard in the big country they had to cover (72,000 acres and most of it only accessible by horse at that time). They would tie the young horse up where they were gathering to, and then use them to sort cattle. Then they would ride the horse and lead the colt home. They said once you over rode a young horse and they got too tired, they were never as good as they could have been. They were real purist about that and had a lot of respect from people in the area. We learned a lot from them. I wouldn't have missed being around them for anything. What we learned was priceless.

Anyway, good for you for not riding your black horse too soon. I bet it was tempting! :)

Good stuff!

When I started in learning to mess with horses, I started in riding 2 year olds. I did that for a few years. I was riding outside horses, my own that I bought and building up a group of mares, which I broke all of them and got into riding ones I raised. When I started having a pile of horses around, I fell behind on the ones I was raising. That's when I got into riding them older....the ones I was raising started being 3 or 4 before I started riding and they just rode off great. I quit riding them young and get along great. I do a ton of ground work on them though in the years up to riding....and they've been ponied many miles. We don't have any kind of atv, so it sure helps to have some handy horses.

R A said:
Good stuff!

When I started in learning to mess with horses, I started in riding 2 year olds. I did that for a few years. I was riding outside horses, my own that I bought and building up a group of mares, which I broke all of them and got into riding ones I raised. When I started having a pile of horses around, I fell behind on the ones I was raising. That's when I got into riding them older....the ones I was raising started being 3 or 4 before I started riding and they just rode off great. I quit riding them young and get along great. I do a ton of ground work on them though in the years up to riding....and they've been ponied many miles. We don't have any kind of atv, so it sure helps to have some handy horses.

I like the way you think! :D

Latest posts