• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A few spring Pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Its been a busy few weeks here on the desert. The grass is coming nice thanks to some good rain storms. Calves are growing and we have helped a couple neighbors and our cousins brand. Brandings are a big social doings in our country. The food is always great, the laughs and stories shared are priceless and the work is surely enjoyable. Along with the work, we have found a minute or two of play time. :D All work and no play makes H a dull boy! Me and little H took a swing through the ridges looking for shed horns and what ever else we might find. It was a nice day for it.

She is my pal and I think she is perfect. (I may be a tad prejudiced) :) She is a wonderful hiker and must be a quarter mountain goat as quick as she covers the country.

Zoomed in a little. We didn't find a single horn, but......

Who needs horns when your daughter finds a priceless treasure! What a perfect, beautiful, sacred arrowhead she found! To think its hundreds or thousands of years since its maker shot or lost it is pretty humbling!

It was old enough it has some lichen growing on it. Pretty dang cool!

We covered an old burn that had strips where the fire missed a little. This is our mountain mahogany and was the favorite wood for my Grand Dad's branding fires.

Bet ya this old cedar tree was seen its share of droughts and winters on that rocky ridge.

Our dog "Gus". He is sure a good ol' dog. He had as much fun as we did. But he let every cottontailed rabbit he found outrun him.

Then Little H got on a tour bus and headed to San Diego for a band trip. So Littlest H and I went to Delta to help brand calves. He is a top hand at keeping the calves pushed up the alley to the table.

Loading the table. Makes us old guys not have to work so hard. :D

We did 120 or so. I didn't count so I don't have an exact number for ya. They all looked good to me and head for the mountain in 2 weeks.

The kids would go get around 25 or so that had already been worked and bring them down the alley to make way for the next cut of unworked calves.

All sizes of hands! :D They sure did have a bunch of smiling faces all day.

Speaking of all sizes.....the littlest guy decided he was done napping and showed up barefoot and wearing not much more than a droopy diaper! He is a hoot! His momma got him gathered up and re-shod and some pants and he spent the rest of the day running those short legs off with the bigger kids. Aint life grand!

I have had Phil feed a heifer of mine with his replacements. I think she wintered well and oughta breed up nicely. She is out of the best cow I own and a great Hereford bull of Ken Coleman's from Colorado. (Ned Jr. on here)

Hope she raises calves for us for the next 20 years!

On the trip home I listened to good old AM radio out of central Utah and a station that plays COUNTRY MUSIC. Not the junk they keep saying is country. Had to snap a shot of Utah's "sandhills". Little Sahara is a recreation area where lots of dirtbikes and sandrails and their owners go to play.

My traveling partner was tuckered out. He was asleep before we got out of Phil's driveway. :D I have been very blessed by the good Lord. My wife is amazing and my kids take after their momma. I have my freedom and I have the desert. I have some great horses and I have some wonderful friends. I have a job to keep the lights on and the fridge full. I have everything anybody could ever want or need. Thank you kindly. May you all have a fine evening.

Your enthusiasm is infectious my friend.

Thank you for letting me come along and glad your kids aren't letting you get in the road too much.

Take Care

Big Muddy rancher said:
That was a beauty of an arrow head.

Kids are sure growing, great hands.

What he said!

Many years ago I found a very perfect arrowhead near the creek on our farm. I took it to school to show my buddies and put it back in my desk til school was out. Went to retrieve it to take it home and it was gone. Bout broke my 12 year old heart.

I guess all my buddies weren't all my buddies...

Great pictures, leanin' H. I always admire your positive upbeat outlook on life. That is a beautiful arrowhead. Your heifer wintered well and should make an ideal cow. Thanks for the tour.

Oh good. I didn't want to say why, I figured you'd know. That's a real pretty one, better than any shed horn. Things are hell for good. Cattle wintered real well. You didn't happen to be in Nephi last weekend at the high school rodeo?

Ho55 said:
Oh good. I didn't want to say why, I figured you'd know. That's a real pretty one, better than any shed horn. Things are hell for good. Cattle wintered real well. You didn't happen to be in Nephi last weekend at the high school rodeo?

Hope. I haven't been to a high school rodeo in years. Probably more than 20 for sure. Too many irons in the fire.
Why? Did ya see a portly guy that looks more like a bulldogger than a bullrider? :wink: It twerent me! :D

Latest posts