• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A First for me

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
I have never sold calves before, I've always bought more to feed with mine.

I was offered $1.05 per pound for calves that ended up averaging 757# - - - all could have been registered, pre conditioned and weaned in mid November, I felt they were great looking but keep being told that "pink nosed" charolis sold at a discount.

I pushed my pencil as hard as I could and decided that I didn't need to feed calves the rest of the winter. Turned around and bought a few registered Angus hiefers for $1.00 per pound so I guess I will have to feed a few till spring.

Sounds like you made a good trade. The Angus heifers will make good cows someday. Then you will have more cows to calve, more work to do, and more calves to sell in a year or two when the prices go back down. :wink: :cry: :)

George I wonder why you were told the pink nosed" charolis were selling at a discount,they are bringing top dollar around here............good luck
PS I think you did good on your black heifers tho :wink:

In this area it seems that the pink nosed charolis are thought of as getting to big ( I have several cows about 5 years old that weigh around a ton)

I had always raised Angus cows and bred to Charolis bulls but I had an accident several years ago and had to liquidate the animals. I was finally able to repopulate last January and got a great deal on a herd of registered Charolis. I'm not complaining but these girls really know how to eat. I bred them to an Angus bull last year and have another one in line for this year.

As I find quality Angus hiefers at a reasonable price I am going to rotate back to my old ways.

I found an Omish family south of me that has the old blood line Angus ( mature cows 900 to 1100 #) but so far have not been able to get any purchased. When I stopped by last week most of their calves were on the ground at about 50# - - - I'll bet they grow like weeds. But I found some from a registered herd where the top cows are about 1400# and got a few hiefers from him. My son is trying to get a few as well - - - he bought a small herd of shorthorns with the farm he and his wife bought from her parents.

I found this post interesting. I, too, would like to know what the deal is with black versus pink nosed chars. Around here it appears feeders prefer to buy black nosed. I heard it was because they grow better. But i didn't know if that was a myth or not.

Good for you George, opportunities differ for everyone, but you can always work up with what you have.

One word of caution, although the small old time Angus might be tempting to buy, be careful of the small extreme. Those kinds of cows bred to any more modern bull could be a calving disaster.

The bottom line is what should dictate your genetic selections, your calves that you got $1.05 for at nearly 8 wts are what buyers want. If you had the pen full of frame 3 calves I doubt they would have the same weight or fetch the same price. The smaller frame will finish too small and have more YG 4 cattle that the industry needs to get rid of instead of producing more.

But Jason, there is getting to be a niche market for those small framed animals as well. One of our customers is getting into it and he is very happy with the opportunity. It is something the Stockman-Grass Farmer, Kit Pharo and others like him are promoting.

Natural, grass-fed beef with the genetics for consistent tenderness~

Seems like there is something for everyone these days.

feeder said:
I found this post interesting. I, too, would like to know what the deal is with black versus pink nosed chars. Around here it appears feeders prefer to buy black nosed. I heard it was because they grow better. But i didn't know if that was a myth or not.

Black nosed chars sell better because they are hardier than a straight breed char and they will also do better on the kill floor. 1/2 chars can easily grade 60% chioce and be 60% YG1-2. With proper slection those numbers can rise.

Andy said:
feeder said:

Black nosed chars sell better because they are hardier than a straight breed char and they will also do better on the kill floor. 1/2 chars can easily grade 60% chioce and be 60% YG1-2. With proper slection those numbers can rise.

Almost any 1/2 blood animal is hardier than either of the parents. Heterosis is real and not just in Chars.

Have seen Red Angus X Chars go 92% choice w/all YG 1 & 2's.

When the choice/select spread is close, you can make as much with a Select/YG 1 as you can with the Choice animals too.

Faster horses said:
But Jason, there is getting to be a niche market for those small framed animals as well. One of our customers is getting into it and he is very happy with the opportunity. It is something the Stockman-Grass Farmer, Kit Pharo and others like him are promoting.

Natural, grass-fed beef with the genetics for consistent tenderness~

Seems like there is something for everyone these days.

I don't like any extreme big or small. 900 pound cows are as bad as 2000 pound cows, just for different reasons.

Maybe the luck of the draw as I buy quite a few singles, but.....

On the Charlais I have fed, I get about 80-85% choice, all YG 1 and 2's....these are straight bred from what I can tell,

PPRM

Latest posts