• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A first one I seen in the wild

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
A first for me , coyotes howling , quick trip with spot light and truck and other then deer . we saw a lion. Sue locked the sheep into a a couple tight pens , from the large big one . Made sure holes were tight so the guard dog has to stay and not chase coyotes and scare deer off. We got Deer hunters. Tenny and I caught Mearl the kids pony , he was bedded in the south side of the wheat pasture. about 200 yards from where we saw the lion. He is in with the ewes for the night.

I've heard they aren't seen much, but they leave tracks. Probably see those 3 or 4 times a year, but I'm in their country half the time I see those. I am not supposed to live in their territory, nor that for wolves, yet both have been seen here by hunters. Heard one scream over a kill I assumed in Colorado many years ago, unforgettable sound.

We have lions out here and I see their tracks from time to time. I've seen half a dozen up close. A mountain Lion is pretty neat to see at ten yards. It'll make your neck hair stand at attention for sure. They kill a lot of deer but we've never lost a cow or calf to one.

Jakes cougar.JPG

We have lots of them. Two winters ago we found 5 lion killed deer within 400 yards of the house. Last winter on a fresh snow there were tracks where one crossed our bridge in the driveway. That is about 150 yards from the front door. It is about 5 miles down stream and 15 miles up stream to the next bridge over the river. We know they don't like to get their feet wet. How often do they cross that bridge at night when there is no snow to leave tracks?

Latest posts