• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Gentle Reproof for Bill O'Reilly

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TSR said:
Lets just turn the oil companies loose then. I'm sure they will be alright just like BP was in the Gulf, darn regulations. :wink:

typical liberal response to a serious issue..

who does it really benefit to take an attitude that defends corporate sponsored regulations.. and belittle those who are concerned about not only keeping polluters in check but our economy not being given to large corporations,.. such as BP?

if large corporations such as BP is advocating more regulations.. and ignoring them because they can afford to ignore them.. who is really getting hurt.. (hint everyone but corps such as BP)

small companies that would do more to protect our environment out of respect for where they live and work, but can't afford the cost of proving they are in compliance.. or some faceless corporation who is just looking at numbers.. (such as BP?)

Tam said:
TSR said:
Lets just turn the oil companies loose then. I'm sure they will be alright just like BP was in the Gulf, darn regulations. :wink:

All the expensive regulations in the world will do no good if the Administration in charge of enforcing them knows nothing about them or allows everyone to look the other way.

BP acknowledged in a recent letter that it has routinely failed to comply with a federal regulation requiring drilling companies to certify that their blowout preventers are able to block a runaway well.

But that's because the Minerals Management Service, the government agency charged with overseeing offshore drilling operations, never asked the company to comply, officials wrote.

The blowout preventer is a 450-ton, four-story stack of valves, pistons and slicers that is supposed to be the final fail-safe to close a well at the seafloor if it starts spewing oil and gas. That device failed to operate properly April 20 when the Macondo well off the Louisiana coast blew out of control, and it hasn't worked in several attempts to activate it since.

Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, the ranking member on the Senate Finance Committee, said in a letter Thursday that he became concerned when he read a Times-Picayune article last month that said the MMS official in charge of reviewing BP's application for the Macondo well was unaware of a regulation requiring oil companies to certify that their blowout preventers can cut drill pipe to shut off a flowing well under specific conditions.
Grassley asked BP in May to show that it is in compliance with the federal regulation that requires oil companies to provide MMS with proof that the massive safety devices they use to close off wells are "capable of shearing the drill pipe in the hole under maximum anticipated surface pressures."

The company responded that it applies for permits to drill oil wells "in accordance with the process prescribed by MMS officials," but it goes on to say that it was not "MMS practice" to require anyone to comply with the particular section of the federal code in question.

"I find it very disturbing that BP asserts that the 'practice' in oil drilling is to avoid current laws designed to keep our beaches safe," Grassley responded in his letter Thursday. "And I am outraged that MMS is looking the other way."

Frank Patton, the MMS official who approved the BP application to drill at Macondo, already testified that he wasn't familiar with the law he was supposed to enforce.

Also, in his letter Thursday, Grassley called attention to an internal BP document his investigators obtained that showed the company knew the leak could be as bad as 60,000 barrels a day, even while BP's public estimates were far lower, Grassley said. Only recently did government scientists get enough data to determine the spill could be 60,000 barrels a day.

Grassley said he didn't know the date of BP's private estimate, but he demanded to know when it was created and added that "Americans have a right to know that BP made these estimates, the date these estimates were determined and why they were not disclosed at that time."

Establishing the flow rate is critical, not only for understanding how much oil is gushing out and needs to be contained or cleaned up, but also because fines BP would have to pay under anti-pollution laws are based on how many barrels are spilled.

Tam I have to agree with you on the regulations doing no good if regulators look the other way. Seems like we have experienced that before in other sectors of gov.

Steve said:
TSR said:

typical liberal response to a serious issue..

who does it really benefit to take an attitude that defends corporate sponsored regulations.. and belittle those who are concerned about not only keeping polluters in check but our economy not being given to large corporations,.. such as BP?

if large corporations such as BP is advocating more regulations.. and ignoring them because they can afford to ignore them.. who is really getting hurt.. (hint everyone but corps such as BP)

small companies that would do more to protect our environment out of respect for where they live and work, but can't afford the cost of proving they are in compliance.. or some faceless corporation who is just looking at numbers.. (such as BP?)

Personally, I don't trust "small" corporations any more than large when it comes to the environment affecting possibly millions of people. I believe greed affects the "small" just as it does the "large", therefore both should recieve scrutiny of their environmental practices.

Latest posts