• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Great Time Was Had By All!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
This past weekend was the annual "Deer Hunt" at Lowndes Academy (Lowndesboro, Al.) private school. We receive no federal funds at the 300+ student private school, so fund raisers are common.

We had a total of 69 hunters and "harvested" 71 deer in the Fri. afternoon, Sat. and Sun. morning event. There were a few 140+ deer taken, some smaller bucks, and some does. The hunters were mostly from the southeast but had some from as far away as Michigan and New York.

The 4 hunters I guided were from Atlanta, Ga. and have been back for the last 3 years. They took only 6 point deer and over all were succesful. Great guys.

The deer down here are smaller than was the norm back in the 70's (it was not a big deal to get a 300 lb. buck) when soybeans were planted all over, and prolly average around 150 lbs. but I was amazed at the size the guns most of these guys were shooting! There were several who had .338 Magnums! A .243 is plenty of gun for down here and most of the "No Finds" were shot with the bigger calibers. :???:

Anyway, it was a big success for the school and the area and we sure hope that everyone will return next year for some great Alabama deer hunting!

Mike......
the "wildlife"in Alabama must have increased over the years as they have here.All the time I spent in the woods ar Rucker the only wild thing I saw was a 8 foot rattler.

Juan said:
Mike......
the "wildlife"in Alabama must have increased over the years as they have here.All the time I spent in the woods ar Rucker the only wild thing I saw was a 8 foot rattler.

Heck Juan, they had to fence all the runways down around Ft. Rucker cause the planes were running into deer. Hank Jr's plane hit one a few years ago. Messed up a perfectly good $20 million dollar jet. (Killed the deer too!)

8 foot rattler? :wink:

Latest posts