• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A.I. Sires maternal

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Horseless

Reaction score
I am going to try and get our herd, back under control after several years of buying bred heifers and back to raising 100% our own. I am looking for angus sires that will help with these goals: Moderate frame, good udders and disposition, with some longevity.
I am familiar with Diamond D angus and OCC bloodlines, I just want some others to look at also, and semen thats not to hard to get ahold of.

P.S. I wouldn't rule out a hereford to use on some of my best angus cows. I hope thats not a bad word on here :wink:

Horseless said:
I am going to try and get our herd, back under control after several years of buying bred heifers and back to raising 100% our own. I am looking for angus sires that will help with these goals: Moderate frame, good udders and disposition, with some longevity.
I am familiar with Diamond D angus and OCC bloodlines, I just want some others to look at also, and semen thats not to hard to get ahold of.

P.S. I wouldn't rule out a hereford to use on some of my best angus cows. I hope thats not a bad word on here :wink:

Horseless- You might take a look at Gary Funk, Lustre Montana...He has a herd of old Wye and Shoshone bloodlines--he has used some OCC and Diamond D blood in his program too....

Around here he's kind of known as a sleeper in the angus business in that he has a top herd- but isn't as well known...He sells by private treaty off his ranch....

I've looked his cattle over- a nice real moderate framed- real quiet herd of cows....I walked around thru them with Gary during calving season and never had a cow raise her head even tho I was a stranger....
And when I was in his yearling bullpen my only problem was a couple that kept wanting to lick my back pocket...Nice cattle......

Oldtimer,
I had forgot about him. A while back I talked to him, but I can't remember if he had papers on them. I guess I just wanted to know for sure on the bloodlines. Does he have any semen on his bulls?

Horseless said:
Oldtimer,
I had forgot about him. A while back I talked to him, but I can't remember if he had papers on them. I guess I just wanted to know for sure on the bloodlines. Does he have any semen on his bulls?

Don't know what he has for semen...Give him a call- 406-392-5777...He loves to talk about his cattle and his horses....And all the ones I saw last year had papers....I know Glen Meier of Galpin Angus has used a couple of Gary's bulls for cleanup bulls on his purebred herd for several years....

I have heard really good things about Gary Funk. I think his cattle
would be some we would be interested in. Another herd that we
have bought bulls from and have been very happy with is Rick
Hanson Black Angus at Froid. His cattle are moderate, functional
and maternal. He calves later and feed the bulls himself.
There are some good genetics there.

Faster horses said:
I have heard really good things about Gary Funk. I think his cattle
would be some we would be interested in. Another herd that we
have bought bulls from and have been very happy with is Rick
Hanson Black Angus at Froid. His cattle are moderate, functional
and maternal. He calves later and feed the bulls himself.
There are some good genetics there.

A couple of the registered heifers my son is looking at picking up this spring are out of cows bought from Hanson....Nice cows.. They're some of the ones we think we'll breed to Magnitude....

Anybody have any experience with Conneally Angus of Valier, MT. They describe their cattle in ways that match my goals listed above.

I think they are a good outfit with good performance cattle. The cattle could be bigger than what we want, I'm thinking.

And isn't it Connelly Angus, not Connealy Angus?
Yes, I just looked at the Montana Seedstock Directory.
Connelly Angus is the one at Valier, Mt.

Connealy Angus might be located in Nebraska and I know I like
their cattle.

Horseless: It looks like you probably have the Angus end of things covered. When it comes to Herefords what are you looking for specifically? Would you use a polled bull?

I am trying to build a baldy cowherd that will live on nominal inputs and still be as productive or more than my cows are now. I have been using some polled bulls simply because they are what I am looking for from an aspect of frame size, birth weight etc. I will calve my first bady females from this program this spring and they look good. The bulls I have been using all have some horned breeding in them.

If you look at the differences in a crossbred cow versus a straightbred in terms of production, FERTILTY, longevity etc. The numbers I have seen add up to about 25% increase in all of these. I know not everybody needs this extra 25% but I for one need all the help I can get.

WB,
About 10-12 years ago, I tried raising Baldies. I picked out a line one hereford from a breeder. When it came time to deliver the Bull he said it did't test out so he brought out a different one. It was not a line one Bull.
Its sire was Canadian Blend. I used him and payed dearly for that mistake. They were the size of horses with Torpedo Teats. I have not went back to Hereford and never will go back to that breeder. My dad's old baldies lasted forever. I guess even some of the Angus I used ended up like horses also. After looking at Diamond D's cow herd I knew I had better get my act together. Thats what cows are suppose to look like in my mind.
If I consider raising baldies, would like to stay away from the eye and teat problems. As for the horns it is much easier to screw them out.
Any good pedigrees of hereford I should take a look at?
Horseless

Horseless: I too have made it a point to stay away from the eye and teat and prolapse problems. When I went back and started using Hereford bulls again I told myself that putting up with these problems is not an option. IMO the cleanest bloodlines out there for these traits are Feltons because he started with the old Prospector bloodline that CSU had linebred and linebred them some more. The purpose of this was to find any of these inferior traits and eliminate them from his genepool. Some of the so-called line breeders of the day only do enough to multiply these problems. Both of the Hereford bulls I own have Feltons 517 up close their Dams side and I consider it an asset.

My brother is a registered Hereford breeder and owns a bull that he bought in the Gerber Cowherd dispersion that I have used AI. He is a Phase out of a BJH Prospector 51M cow. He consistently sires that easy fleshing early maturing cattle that I am looking for.

I am familar with Duncan Herefords. I am not sure if they are still in business or not. They used to have some no-nonsense practicle cattle.
PM me if I can be of further assistance.

Sounds like you might have the Angus side handled.

For a clean-up Hereford bull that will match your specs, talk to Myran Herefords at Taylor, ND.

Their brand are not too popular anymore, but they are good.

You can probably pick up a real nice Hereford bull for less than $2000.

I'm not going to mess with cutting and pasting the right picture in here, but if you look at my album, you can see one.

This bull was 12 or 13 in the picture, and the red baldy is his daughter the next year out of one of my Tarentaise cows.

http://www.ranchers.net/photopost/showgallery.php?mcats=all&si=&what=allfields&name=badlands&when=0&whenterm=&condition=and

I sold this heifer and 4 of her sisters as replacement heifers in the Fall of 2000, and 4 of them are still in production.

Badlands

Horseless I'm pretty sure I know where your bad bull came from-if you want to raise females try that bull I mentioned you won't be disappoiinted.

All this talk about Gary Funk got me interested. I went up there yesterday and took a look at his bulls. There were some very nice bulls and every one of them was about as gentle as they come. I really like the way he feeds them they are fed the way bulls are supposed to be fed, enough to grow but not enought to get hog fat. I ended up buyin two bulls, I just wish I would have gotten there earlier cause there was one or two that I liked that were already spoken for. Maybe next year.

I know the bulls will be hardy cause if they can winter in that flat windy country they can winter anywhere.

badroute said:
All this talk about Gary Funk got me interested. I went up there yesterday and took a look at his bulls. There were some very nice bulls and every one of them was about as gentle as they come. I really like the way he feeds them they are fed the way bulls are supposed to be fed, enough to grow but not enought to get hog fat. I ended up buyin two bulls, I just wish I would have gotten there earlier cause there was one or two that I liked that were already spoken for. Maybe next year.

I know the bulls will be hardy cause if they can winter in that flat windy country they can winter anywhere.

Thats what happened to me a year ago-- when I got there, the ones I really liked were already sold... Yep he runs a nice little operation...

MtAngus50 said:
Is it a general concensus that maternal and performance are contradictory? If so why?

MtAngus50--You been absent a long time-- Must be cold in the Big Dry country this morning....Hows your bulls wintering?

Just to let you know- no haircuts until March...Darryl fell and hurt his shoulder and had to have surgery...But that doesn't mean a guy can't still set in the waterhole and wait for him to come back :wink:

MtAngus50 said:
Is it a general concensus that maternal and performance are contradictory? If so why?

I'm sure that will make some good discussion. I'd fall under the catagory of having basically two herds. Ones that I run for keeping replacements, the other for terminal performance. It does cause a marketing problem, if you don't have a load of steers from your replacement herd, how do you sell them? I tried going all terminal and buying my replacements. It was a disaster. Cows got bigger, weaning weights never changed. Now I am back to raising my own replacements. I like very moderate cows that can raise very big calves. F1 terminal cross is nice, lots of lbs.
There is a need for both, always will be. You just have to deal with problems and strengths of each in your own way.

Latest posts