• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A link for the Canadian members;

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Excellent!

My uncle was a Mountie. He trained back in the early sixties, when all members were required to take horse training. It just about killed him! :wink: He's kind of short, and he tells of one day in training when they had the horses trotting in a circle, without saddles, with the men running beside them. Then the sergeant hollered "mount up", and they were supposed to jump on the horses backs while they trotted. Remember, these were tall Thorougbreds. My uncle took a number of rounds, and a number of tries before he could get up on the horse. He was always the last one on. As soon as he got on, the sergeant hollered "dismount". And they all got off and did it again.

Now only those who want to enter the Musical Ride take the horse training. It's considered quite an honour, and it's not easy to get the assignment. We had the Musical Ride in our town a few years ago, and they were amazing. I was on the Fair board at the time, and helped with it. Those horses get only the best, and we sure had to make sure everything was right for them. If anyone ever gets a chance to see them, do it.

Latest posts