• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A modern dilemma

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
This was a posting from a friend on Facebook. I thought it might be of interest to fellow ranchers.

"I had a first happen to me today, this is how it goes, my husband, grandkids and I are working cows on a beautiful rainy day. They are coming through the Hydraulic chute one by one being caught, getting their shots, when the electricity goes out, now what to do with one caugt in the head gait. Lol, only had to wait ten minutes for the electricity to come back on! Could have been worse, right?!"

Food for thought. :wink:

Last Fall we had planned to vaccinate the calves but we had a planned power outage, We waited a while and finally I phoned it and found out it was to be a ALL day affair so i hooked up the genset and we went to work. Got done about the time the power came back on. Pretty rare occurrence and I still wouldn't trade my hydraulic chute and go back to a manual one. :D

You can let the pressure off or pull a pin on my chute if one was caught when the power failed.

Soapweed said:
This was a posting from a friend on Facebook. I thought it might be of interest to fellow ranchers.

"I had a first happen to me today, this is how it goes, my husband, grandkids and I are working cows on a beautiful rainy day. They are coming through the Hydraulic chute one by one being caught, getting their shots, when the electricity goes out, now what to do with one caugt in the head gait. Lol, only had to wait ten minutes for the electricity to come back on! Could have been worse, right?!"

Food for thought. :wink:

'Get the generator?

IMHO The hydralic chute is one of the most labor saving and convenient pieces of equipment we have on the farm. Takes the work out of working cattle.

Big Swede said:
The phrase about "old dogs and new tricks" comes to mind sometimes. :wink: Just kidding Soap.

I'm just glad we calved this year in March when it was nice. I'd hate to be getting forty or fifty calves a day now in the weather we're having today. Kinda kidding, but also quite serious. :wink: But I sure do love the rain--about an inch and six tenths so far, including yesterday. :)

Faster horses said:
I'm so glad for you Soapweed, and everyone in the area that got rain.
I'm in SD today and the weather boys say over 3 inches was received.
I don't think SE Montana got anything and boy, we are in dire need
there. :cry:

Not a drop here, just a cold wind all day.

Latest posts