• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A month early and backwards!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The mystery has been solved. Today I ran my heifers through the chute to freeze brand and give scour guard shots so I had a chance to shave the heifer that calved a "month" early. There was a brand on the left hip just like I was hoping but it wasn't my brand. I have had my neighbors heifer since last October and didn't even know it. No ear tag and one black heifer looks like most other black heifers. At least now I can rest my brain from trying to figure out how one of my heifers could have been bred that early.

Last fall my calves broke out about 3 weeks after I weaned and 3 head ended up in the same neighbors cow herd. About a month later I figured out I was 3 short and he said he was 3 long so we sorted that deal out last month. He fed them all winter and I told him to at least let me pay for feeding them, which he wouldn't do. When I pulled up at his place today with his heifer and calf we both had a good laugh. I guess the feed bill kind of worked itself out after all. It's great to have good neighbors.

Latest posts