• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

a new bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

He's well camaflouged. I didn't either. :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We used to buy Limousins in the 80's. I can tell you this without
looking at the bull. The lady we bought them from told me this and
I NEVER FORGOT IT. The half bloods always look the best; but that
is not what you want to BUY, that is what you want to RAISE.
So in order to raise them, you need to buy a purebred, fullblood, etc.
in order to get those good halfbloods. You've diluted the Angus and the Limo when you breed to a half blood.

Granted, that was back in the 80's, but I always felt she told
us right.

FWIW...

FH I think that lady was right on then and it still goes today.

Welcome aboard Redriver and buy yourself a purebred bull. I think you will be happier with the results.

Triangle Bar said:
FH I think that lady was right on then and it still goes today.

Welcome aboard Redriver and buy yourself a purebred bull. I think you will be happier with the results.

Ditto. LimFlex calves are incredible, but you want the factory, not the end product if you're breeding them.

What would be wrong with a final product of 3/4 Angus x 1/4 Limousin? They would be quite good and the feedlots like that percentage mix. Seems like the LimFlex or other Continental x Angus cross bull would fit the bill quite nicely. Also, the resultant heifer calves are more likely candidates for keepers, in my book anyway. Breed 'em how you want to, that's the beauty of the business and a lot of the fun in it.

HP

If he's a good bull he's a good bull regardless of his breed percentages. If you like him and you thing he's a type that will cross well with your cows then I wouldn't worry about anything else. We've been using some crossbred bulls for years now. It's a good way to seak in the better qualities of some breeds without going all the way. I've liked the results of using 1/2 red angus 1/2 simmental bulls the last few years, it has allowed us to get some of what we liked from these breeds without getting too strong an influence from them.

You probably won't like my advice--but I've seen/had nothing but bad experiences with Limmi's and Lim/Flex- and just don't think of them as the type of cattle to make a good calf factory...
I AIed some angus and hereford cows to limmis and kept the heifer calves- and 5-6 years later had none left in the herd...Besides being high headed and flighty- they were hard keepers- stood around behind the windbreak freezing when the other cows were out grazing- didn't breed back well at all- and in rough years brought in a pud calf....They disappeared fast...

When Future Beef came into this area strong- they were promoting Limmis as one of their continental breeds you had to breed to in order to sell to them....I saw several ranchers who had some good red and black angus herds who then used limmi bulls-- that are now struggling to get back a maternal herd that can raise a decent calf in this short grass country- with some now buying all their replacement heifers....The grazing assn had terrible luck with limmi bulls only working for 1 or 2 years- and then not passing their working tests the next....

They might work as a terminal cross- or in areas where grass is a foot high- but I'm not sure its worth the bother of having hot calves...Just my opinion- but I've had too many bad experiences with both Limmis and Salers to ever want any.... I agree with Silver on the Simmis-- for cross bred bulls I much prefer the angus/simmis or even angus/gelbvieh ....

I agree with OT, except the Limmies we used were good natured.
Really good natured, in fact. It was fun to trail them home when we
took them out of the cows...they just strided right out...and we didn't
have problems with longevity of the bulls at all.

With that being said, keeping replacement females out of Limmies,
will put you out of business (or would at that time). If we got the replacements to 4 years old,
they were there for the duration. It was just that a high percentage
didn't make it that long. And these would be LimxAngus or LimmieXhereford.

One other thing we noticed, because we had major health problems
in our calves during that time, when the red limosuines got sick, they died. They didn't seem to have the vitality the other calves had.

I liked 'em tho. I did. We were used to straightbred herefords (sorry, Hereford people--this was just our experience) that would get tangled up
in some brush and couldn't figure out how to get out...the Limmy calves
were SMART...

The replacement deal just would not work for us, so we chose to go
straight black angus...

The Limousin cross calves weighed good, for sure. So I guess it matters
if you are using Limousin for a terminal cross or for replacement females.
One works well, the other doesn't work so well.

FWIW

The Limis I had I really liked. They were not wild or crazym but they could and would get out of any fence or structure you had..the grass was always greener over the fence

I've fed some Limo calves and A'I'ed a couple sets of cattle over the years-they never really took off oin our country because the first ones took off too often lol. The right bloodline crossed on some good British cows wouldn't hurt you any I'm pretty sure-a good set of LimoX feeder calves are hard to beat for eye appeal. Silver is right about those Simm/Angus bulls they seem to work more often than not most places they're run-the first few years they were a bit sketchy-I A'I'ed alot of pinto simmie cows at places red angus so the breeder could get a bull he could market colour wise but lately they're getting alot better. We run them as clean up bulls but raise them ourselves.

redriver46 said:
I have a chance to get a limison /angus bull to put on my mixed cows. what do you think? I am new to this site ,this is my first post.
More than likely your are always going to get mixed results with "mixed cows"...breed to bring consistency to your cow herd.

I've heard it said that you get Salers to use as saddle-stock to catch the Limos. :wink:
Having said that, one former neighbor of ours had a herd of Salers/Hereford cows. They were good cattle as long as you handled them quiet. One guy that was a little too aggressive and they ALL turned into tigers in a heartbeat.
He bred these cows Charolais and topped any market they went to for years.

RobertMac said:
redriver46 said:
I have a chance to get a limison /angus bull to put on my mixed cows. what do you think? I am new to this site ,this is my first post.
More than likely your are always going to get mixed results with "mixed cows"...breed to bring consistency to your cow herd.

I'll put the 'mixed results' from my 'mixed' cows against anyones 'unmixed' herd and we can compare consistency :wink:

About all your garanteed with a purebred commercial herd is they'll all be the same colour-we sort lots of crossbred calves that have less cuts in them. Good stockman raise good cattle xbred or purebred but you still get the 'dog from every town' bunches coming in.

Latest posts