• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A new skill

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
I went up the last couple of days and learned to run my nephews backhoe. He's in a tight spot and asked if I'd help him out.

I seem to have plenty of other projects to do, but he's asked and I've turned him down so many times, that I thought it was about time I took him up on helping him.

Running a backhoe is fun! Just like being a kid in the sandbox, (or in my case, the road ditch which had lots of cool colors and types of different soil to play in). :D

Now, if his checks just clear the bank, I'll be in fine shape and might even be able to buy some hay! :lol:

I sure hope it's got a heater in it, if I am going to spend much time in it this fall/winter! :shock: :lol:

The old one we had (Well, it used to have hoe on it before they took it off and than it was just a tractor with an oversized bucket on it but good for moving snow) had a great heater all summer... Than it broke when winter started.. That's okay, the floor board was so weak and the firwall stunk so heat wasn't as much of an issue that I thought it would be... AFter an hour or so in the middle of winter running it during a snow storm the windows got oopened... One of my happiest equipment days was the day that piece of garbage was hauled away...

JB, I borrowed my neighbor's backhoe (Case 580C) when I put in the water pipeline at the other place. It was fun to run it! Not so fun to go over all the grease zerks! :shock: Need to dig out a pretty good stretch to make the hot weld connections on the plowed-in HDPE pipe. I put about 20 hours on the thing, but an experienced operator could probably have got the job done in 10! :lol:

This backhoe was the same model as the guy in our area that used to do all the backhoe work had, except this machine has joy sticks where his had individual controls for each function. Looks to me like the joysticks would be quite an improvement but I guess it's whatever you get used to running.

Jinglebob said:
I went up the last couple of days and learned to run my nephews backhoe. He's in a tight spot and asked if I'd help him out.

I seem to have plenty of other projects to do, but he's asked and I've turned him down so many times, that I thought it was about time I took him up on helping him.

Running a backhoe is fun! Just like being a kid in the sandbox, (or in my case, the road ditch which had lots of cool colors and types of different soil to play in). :D

Now, if his checks just clear the bank, I'll be in fine shape and might even be able to buy some hay! :lol:

I sure hope it's got a heater in it, if I am going to spend much time in it this fall/winter! :shock: :lol:
Have run one some--Trick is to keep the engine idled down till yu get hang of it.The hyd. are usually fast-for when yu get good-like by noon

Be careful Jinglebob, that is a very slippery slope you are treading on. It starts with something fun to run and then before you know it you will be going to old farm equipment auctions instead of horse sales. :wink:

Might make it easier if you try running it with the cap the feed store gave you. :p :p :D :D :D

It's going to be confusing when you drive a team again. Intead of hollering, "Whoa.....Back," you'll be thinking "Back....hoe."

Maybe if you put the seed corn cap on frontwards working horses and backwards using the backhoe, that will help. :wink:

Just kidding, Jinglebob. :) You will always be cowboy all the way in my book. :!:

Faster horses said:
Can you imagine how desperate JB's cousin must have been? :wink:

OUCHHHH! :wink: :lol:

Even old fogies can figure those outfits out after a while....The kid picked up a used JD 410 backhole at an auction-- and he's a good operator...But I'm mechanically challenged on everything and knew nothing about them- one day I needed about a 50 foot long trench dug, so went to work-- luckily no one was watching me the first hour or so- but after awhile I got pretty fair with it- it has the old levers...Loader with the big bucket is great for cleaning parts of the corrals.....

Maybe Jinglebob needs one of those plier pockets with a pair of pliers in 'em to put on his hip too. You know his seed corn hat won't look too out of place if he has a pair of pliers along with them. lol.

I run a backhoe here some. I wouldn't let anyone else set a watertank for us after getting the hang of it. I am kind of finicky about things though, so I can do a nice job and only have myself to blame if I don't like it later. :roll:

My o my! What a great bunch of friends you all are.

I'll have you know he even gave me a cap to wear while running it! :p

But alas, yes, I do think he was desperate, but I'll tell you what fh, lets you and me have a contest and see who can dig the biggest or straight's or anything else, with a back hoe and see who wins! :p

As for you Tap, I'll just bet you already got a pair of them pliers hangin' off from your belt! :p

All though, I do have to admit, when I ain't out in public, I usually have a multi-tool hangin' off from mine. :oops: I can't hardly fix fence or nuthin' with anything else, ever since I started using them. :lol:

Well, when I get back from a 3 day or longer job out west of here, I'll check back in with all you smart elecks and see if any of you have learned any new tricks while I am gone. :lol:

Sounds like a new kind of exceedingly dangerous animal-
the JingleBobcat.

nr said:
the JingleBobcat.

Good one, nr.

It could even be a new line for Bobcat machinery--the Jingle Bobcat. If you want to spend more money for additional gadgets, it is available with all the bells and whiskers. :wink:

nr said:
the JingleBobcat.

Wow....another "nickname" for our beloved Sir Knight Jinglebobby!!! Love it!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hey JB............Don't dig a bigger hole than you can dig your way outta.......we'll leave that task to some that post on the Bull Session!! :wink:

Soapweed said:
nr said:
the JingleBobcat.

Good one, nr.

It could even be a new line for Bobcat machinery--the Jingle Bobcat. If you want to spend more money for additional gadgets, it is available with all the bells and whiskers. :wink:
LOL
Considering how he rides his horse, we might demand some proof he can actually drive a backhoe.
Deadwoodsep2Jinglebobsranch055.jpg
[/img]

You see,nr, this exactly what you do when you run a backhoe. You turn around on the tracor and run it, so as you can see by the picture, I was just practicin' to run a backhoe! :p

I am typing this from Gillette, WY, settin'in a camper trailer, and usin' my nephews portable computer, and it dang sure ain't like the one I'm used too! :shock:

So far, things have been goin' pretty good. Ain't killed myself or no one else and I'm gettin' better at runnin' this dirt movin' equipment. So far, he ain't trusted me with the trackhoe yet, but I think if I whine enough,(like a woman :p ) he will let me. And if he don't, maybe I'll just quit him. :lol:

I'll check in with you folks again, when I get a chance.

And no, I don't wear my cap backwards, but I seen a few young fellers around this town who do. Poor guys, must be awful hungry as their pants are hangin' way down on their butts too.

I think maybe I'll offer to make them suspenders, next one I see. :lol:

nr said:
Soapweed said:
nr said:
the JingleBobcat.

Good one, nr.

LOL
Considering how he rides his horse, we might demand some proof he can actually drive a backhoe.
Deadwoodsep2Jinglebobsranch055.jpg
[/img]

WAYYYYY TOOO FUNNNNNYYY!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sir Jinglebobby-----glad to hear from you and know you are still among the living!! Keep us posted and SEND PICTURES!!! :wink:

Latest posts