• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A old cowman once told me........

Help Support Ranchers.net:

"When you have livestock you have dead stock"

Hardest part of my job

Once he told me, "If you are having trouble moving cattle, sometimes it is best to just stop your horse, stick your leg up over the saddle horn, and roll a smoke. By the time the smoke is over, you will have cooled off and so will the cattle. Everything will just work a lot better after that." He was right.

There are many times I process the calf and come back to move Mom into the fresh cow pen. Dont have to chase her round and round.

Soapweed said:
Cecil Dahlgren was an old-time cowboy from this area who died back in the '80's. He was a legendary roper and great story teller, as well as a walking encyclopedia of area history. I loved spending time listening to him.

Once he told me, "If you are having trouble moving cattle, sometimes it is best to just stop your horse, stick your leg up over the saddle horn, and roll a smoke. By the time the smoke is over, you will have cooled off and so will the cattle. Everything will just work a lot better after that." He was right. :wink: :)

My dad always proclaimed that "the only way to move cattle fast is to move them slow." Patience pays.

Another notable observation is that sometimes persistence gains more results than talent. This was pointed out to me when I was a young man. A ranching neighbor that was going broke was commenting on one of his boyhood classmates. The comment made to me was, " 'So-and-so' wasn't even smart enough to tie his own shoes in grade school, and look at him now." ('So-and-so' became a very successful rancher because he didn't necessarily try to set the world on fire, but he worked slow and steady, day after day.) His persistence paid off.

My good uncle used to be 50 yards behind us boys working the drags. We'd be fussing and worrying the cows through a tight spot and he'd be rolling a smoke sayin' "Let em' string boys, let em' string"!
I'm not sure if we all oughta get some Prince Albert and some Zig Zags or maybe just shift down to the granny gear a lot more often!!!!! :D

"Pay attention to where a cow is looking, that's the direction she's going to go."

This sounds pretty simple, but I've seen people who still have trouble out-thinking a cow when it comes to handling her :lol: . (Not saying I'm always in the right spot :D )

I have felt blessed to have had many Older guys and Gals take time to impart wisdom my direction...

An Old Cowbuyer, "Things are never as Good as tyhey seem and never as Bad as They seem"

Old Horseman, "The only critter you don't want to look in the eye is a rattlesnake" He believed in kind eyes.....He also told me, "There are too many good horses to ride to be wasting your time with the bad ones...

Old Rancher, "you can't starve the profit into a cow"

Old Horseman, "Sell horses that will bring you repeat customers. Anyone can sell a horse once, A bigger feat is to have them come back looking for anpther"

And the best advise..."Be choosy about your cows, horses and wife" I am blessed with the best wife I could ever dream of,

PPRM

Well he wasn't a rancher, but just a farmer with around 40 head of shorthorn stock cows. Grandpa told my dad this then dad passed it to me.

"Your reputation beats you to your destination."

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

I never knew grandpa, but the wisdom in those words speaks volumes.

MN Farm Girl

If it won't make a turd it will push one.

It'll look good on your Auction...

You can drink an ugly girl pretty but you can't drink a fat girl skinny. (I've tried)

This string brought back a lot of memories:

My Mother: "If you tell a kid he is no good - He will be....

My Grandfather: I was 7 and lost a feedlot heifers bucket calf. "Son, the only way not to lose one is not to own one....

Other Grandfather: "Never trust a man that tells you how religious he is; the only one worse is one that tells you how honest he is.....

Other Grandfather: We were at an auction buying stockers: "We won't be bidding on these, his dad was crooked and you don't breed that out of them in one generation....

Other Grandfather: I took him to a purebred auction, about half way through I asked him what he thought: "A lot of nice hats and boots here.....

Succesful rancher in the sandhills: Have your cow's the same size you want your steers when they are fat......

Father: too many to list; the most important; Look em in the eye and read what you see.....whether it be a man, horse, cow or bull........

and; Always judge the man before you judge the cattle......

bjb-iowa said:
This string brought back a lot of memories:

My Mother: "If you tell a kid he is no good - He will be....

My Grandfather: I was 7 and lost a feedlot heifers bucket calf. "Son, the only way not to lose one is not to own one....

Other Grandfather: "Never trust a man that tells you how religious he is; the only one worse is one that tells you how honest he is.....

Other Grandfather: We were at an auction buying stockers: "We won't be bidding on these, his dad was crooked and you don't breed that out of them in one generation....

Other Grandfather: I took him to a purebred auction, about half way through I asked him what he thought: "A lot of nice hats and boots here.....

Succesful rancher in the sandhills: Have your cow's the same size you want your steers when they are fat......

Father: too many to list; the most important; Look em in the eye and read what you see.....whether it be a man, horse, cow or bull........

and; Always judge the man before you judge the cattle......

Just how many Grandfathers did you have :???: :wink: :lol: :p

Latest posts