• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A poem for Northern Rancher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Had a minute to myself today at work. Just wanted to put some thoughts to paper and express my thanks for getting to know Cory. Be Blessed Wilson's.

Northern Rancher
There's an empty saddle hangin' in a barn up north tonight,

And a lonesome feelin' settling in my soul.

A pretty good friend, I never met, finally lost his epic fight.

Now he's heading home like a puck towards the goal.

Heaven's bound to be more lively after Cory plants his feet,

Grinning angels will be seen both far and near.

As they hear about the roadtrips that always were so sweet,

EXT stories will cause some laughter that brings a tear.

The merits of the greatest saddle broncs, with be dissected in great detail,

In between the jokes and lesson's of life,

like which bull is best for heifers and which breed is bound to fail,

Plus the braggin' on his kids and sweetheart wife.

How can a guy make a difference, without even shakin' my hand?

Almost feel like family in'a small way.

Might'a been short in stature, but a giant in his land

Always full of bull with lot's to say!

I can't help but want to miss him, but know he'd be upset,

He'd want me to smile stead' of shedding tears.

He left a great example, true courage most never get.

How to carry on through trial and strife and fears.

I admire how he lived his life and I'm proud to call him friend,

I hope someday we'll meet in a hunting blind up high.

He will always be beside us. He is nowhere near an end.

Still chasing dreams across a western sky!

Cory was simply one of a kind.
Happy trails good friend.
Put in a good word for me with the trailboss. :tiphat:
leanin' H

One of Corys Canadian friends posted this on FB as Corys song- I thought it quite fitting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT0NjGMDYhE

Good one LH, Thank You.

Quit was not in his vocabulary. I was at his place last week, taking him a bull of his I had grassed for him and picking up two of my bulls he had used last summer. He was carrying on like nothing was wrong. Skin and bone and a swollen belly. Knowing him for the last 20 years, chances are he is still talking cattle and making breeding plans.

I have never met a funnier guy.

I will miss him a bunch, for sure.

Thanks again.

Well done!!!! But you made me start crying again. I'm sure going to miss him. I just hope a small part of his courage and attitude have rubbed off on me.

Extemely well done.............if I may, I'd like to send this to a friend of his that's no longer on this board................

Our computer has been on the fritz and just got it back a couple of days ago. I'm sorry to hear we lost Northern Rancher, I wish I could've met him in person. Our loss and the Lord's gain. Fine tribute, 'H.

I "met" Northern Rancher about 4 years ago when Soapweed introduced me to this site. At the time I was questioning what time of year I should be calving. He gave me his insight about how he used to pen calve in the winter and related that he worried how his kids might never want to carry on in the ranching business if they had to do things like he had been doing. It was like he was reading my mind from 1,000 miles away.

Later in that same thread the topic came up of checking cows at night. He quoted an old rancher friend and said "The only ones who should be working at night are whores and thieves." From that point on I was a big Northern Rancher fan. I don't know wheather I should laugh or cry at this point.

Latest posts