• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A real WILD SATURDAY NIGHT!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sw

Reaction score
We had a really WILD time tonight in our area, thought we should share. Nothing else to do out here this time of year except tag calves :lol: since NR and Silver have not put up any wildlife pictures, here are a few from tonight. The Marine, 12 year old daughter and I took off in our camo, armed with bows and arrows and I of course had my purse.

cowcalf.jpg

A cow and her calf with no knowledge of us being there, there were more of them in the trees, just could not get them to do a group photo

cowscalves.jpg

Cows and calves came out of nowhere, could not get all of them in the frame.

bullelk.jpg

And then the herd bull shows up and he even stopped for a pose.

spikes.jpg

Three spikes and a rag horn coming into our cow calls, sorry for the out of focus on the bulls, the camera was on auto and trying to focus on the grass and trees and I did not think those boys at 30 yards would let me reprogram the camera to get them in focus better.

rainbow.jpg

looked back over my shoulder and got this rainbow as the sun was going down.

camo.jpg

Can you see the marine and the 12 year old? guess they have the camo down, 12 year old is still whinning about the elk urine cover scent on her hands. Guess she either has to be prissy or welcome to the world of hunting.

daysend.jpg

The end of another great day in the Bull Mountains

toodark.jpg

Too dark to see much, might as well call it a day and go home.

WhitetailDoe003.jpg

Ty got lucky and filled an anterless tag with his bow tonight-now I'm jealous I'd kill to have elk to hunt in that nice open country. How come your putting urine cover scent on your hands lol. The funniest thing I ever saw was a guy spraying down my old hunting buddy with it-he had it practically dripping off his ears-the old boy thought it was bug spray-he almost killed the guy when he found out it was urine. A little dab will do ya on your pant cuffs.

You must of figured out the picture post thing, good deal. Good job Ty. The 12 year old (lil' Montana Cowgurl, oops) had a scent cover wafer pinned on her camo, only way to do that was to use her hands to do it. I was cow calling those little bulls and turned around and said "you guys stink". I was upwind of them and could smell those wafers. She took them off and put them back into the container then but I could still smell it an hour later. That does go better than Chanel #5 when chasing elk. :lol: :lol:

That should keep the boys at bay-including the 3 standing behind me drooling over that bull elk. What kind of bow are you shooting-I'd like to stop in sometime and check out those elk. Ty and I have gone way beyond hunting fanatics lol.

Were you cow-calling with your own voice? Or is there an elk caller like they use for ducks and such? We'd love to hear that. Wonder if Macon could get some way to include sound on these postings. Along with videos. Those were beautiful pictures.

Once in Yellowstone there was a herd of buffalo, a bull with lots of cows, about to cross the road. I must have done a fair imitation of the bull's grunt out the window because he headed right to our rental car much to hubby's dismay. The buffalo was taller than our car. But I got some really good shots up close and personal :!: One of the trip's highlights.

Nice pictures, sw. Pretty sunset, rainbow and scenery. Graceful elk. Looks like you had a fun afternoon and evening.

Nice shot, Ty. Thank you, sw, and Northern Rancher for posting these photos.

Fishing011.jpg

Speaking of calling here's a big boar bear that Ty called in with a blade of grass-squeeking it. That 'Hoochie Mama squeeze call is a good elk cow call-Ty got in a bit of trouble in a big sports store a couple years ago-he took out an elk bugle tube and let it rip. Wish it worked out for us to hunt them cause he can call them pretty good.

Fantastic pictures guys. Thanks for posting.
Boy sw, thats some great looking elk hunting country. I wish I could post some elk pics but I havent been seeing them until too close to dark. Hopefully soon though. In the mean time keep posting.

we were using mouth calls, a Primos hyper lip cow call and a Quaker boy Herd Master. I think the Hoochie Mama is probably the best, the elk think so too. Too bad we can't put sound on here, we had two other bulls bugling when we were into those spikes, we were hoping that we could start a good fight so we set up on the edge of a clearing so we could take pictures. A small six with real white horns came out for a few seconds but that was it and they all moved off away from us. Nothing like the sound of bugling bulls when you are in the middle of them. I have tried to get a picture of the big bull, he puts that one to shame, but he is not dumb and certainly not photo genic. The elk are great to have around, but if Haymaker complains about the damage whitetails do, you need to see what a couple hundred elk can do, especially when they are in the rut and just looking for something to beat up.

shedhorn.jpg

Found these sheds while out riding. The one has what appears to be a wire gate totally wrapped around it and it is tight. there is a wire stay in the middle of it, and the other horn has three broken tines, this guy is a fighter. And that is Corky, Hanta Yo and her daughter were helping me gather that day. :lol:

Super great pictures everyone! Thanks for sharing them with us.

And to think, at one time we were hesitant about the change Macon made for us. Gosh, we'd never get to see all these neat photos if he hadn't done it.

And the picture of Corky, the Corgi~what a beautiful dog! His personality just leaps out at you!! I might have to have one of those. Do you plan to breed him?

MuleDeerArchery074.jpg

We saw this big old boy last week when bowhunting-he was hauling the mail but I gave a cowcall and he whipped around on top of that ridge and posed for us. I hope the tag gods draw us into that zone next year.

You men ,"got it going on" with that picture taking.Sure nice to see all that wild life in the "high country" I will try to post some pic's this winter of hunters and deer,we dont do any bow hunting around here,to much like work LOL .gonna be interesting to see who posts the first "bull elk" my money's on Silver :D maybe "SW" he is on that bull pretty good.....................good luck PS I believe you are right about those elk causing damage SW,ILL bet they are hell on fences :mad:

An elk we saw in Estes Park posing kindly as we sat in the car.
estesparkaug292005032.jpg

Estes and Rocky Mountain National parks are always good places to see elk. There is this one lil backroad up to the top of the mountain that is always full of elk. That is where you always see the idiots getting about 5 feet from a great big bull though, then they wonder why they get injured.... :roll:

Latest posts