• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Revelation!!!! Market Based of course

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
Got to thinking.......Under my philosophy, it allows SH and myself to both participate. If a group comes to me and says, "We feel like we want to buy tested beef," well I can provide it to them. Note, I make no claims other than it is tested. I'm having a hard time seeing the Snake Oil Deal on that, but whatever.

Yet, under this same system, SH can choose NOT TO have his product tested. He can even provide a ton of advertising and information to show these folks are wasting money paying for the premium I charge.

The next group comes along and wants product under Natural or even Organic guidelines. I never made these standards but folks, some very edducated, have decided they will pay more for this. Well, it is at that point I can choose if I want to provide it. I am not holding a gun to anyones head. Sh can look at the data and choose to market his product anyway he wants....

The basic premise is under market based options, participants choose both how they want to buy and how they want to sell. Hmmmmmm........Seems some decendents of some Pilgrims liked philosophies similar to this.....Maybe it is too radical??????

PPRM

PPRM said:
Got to thinking.......Under my philosophy, it allows SH and myself to both participate. If a group comes to me and says, "We feel like we want to buy tested beef," well I can provide it to them. Note, I make no claims other than it is tested. I'm having a hard time seeing the Snake Oil Deal on that, but whatever.

Yet, under this same system, SH can choose NOT TO have his product tested. He can even provide a ton of advertising and information to show these folks are wasting money paying for the premium I charge.

The next group comes along and wants product under Natural or even Organic guidelines. I never made these standards but folks, some very edducated, have decided they will pay more for this. Well, it is at that point I can choose if I want to provide it. I am not holding a gun to anyones head. Sh can look at the data and choose to market his product anyway he wants....

The basic premise is under market based options, participants choose both how they want to buy and how they want to sell. Hmmmmmm........Seems some decendents of some Pilgrims liked philosophies similar to this.....Maybe it is too radical??????

PPRM

Doesn't government set standards and rules with which one must comply to sell a private label of beef?

Do you know what those are, or where to find them? I'm presuming you do know about that question, because you have commented about selling to individuals some of the beef you produce. Can one be a small enough operator to not have to comply with such rules?

Such a confusing industry this is!

MRJ

Nope,

Definetly have to comply. Some sell locker beef and kinda skirt it a bit, but mine is USDA inspected. You can label organic andcomply with those standards, Label natural and comply with those or Just represent how you raise yours...

I find it interesting that those labeling it Natural sometimes get attacked. Meanwhile, I read where the Buffalo people are taking lots of market share on the perception that thier product is less fat and healthier.... I saw a local hospital switched. I went to a grocery where buffalo meat is sold. hamburger was 17% Fat....So, which is better or leaner, burger that is 15% fat or Buffalo Burger at 17%??? My point is we offer a wide variety of Beef, but it all gets grouped together in the minds of many.

My customers ask for Beef raised a certain way and I provide it,

PPRM

PPRM said:
Nope,

Definetly have to comply. Some sell locker beef and kinda skirt it a bit, but mine is USDA inspected. You can label organic andcomply with those standards, Label natural and comply with those or Just represent how you raise yours...

I find it interesting that those labeling it Natural sometimes get attacked. Meanwhile, I read where the Buffalo people are taking lots of market share on the perception that thier product is less fat and healthier.... I saw a local hospital switched. I went to a grocery where buffalo meat is sold. hamburger was 17% Fat....So, which is better or leaner, burger that is 15% fat or Buffalo Burger at 17%??? My point is we offer a wide variety of Beef, but it all gets grouped together in the minds of many.

My customers ask for Beef raised a certain way and I provide it,

PPRM

You know, they do the same thing with chicken when they compare it with beef. They normally compare the breast meat with beef. Kind of skews things if you buy a whole chicken and cut it up.

PPRM said:

PPRM

What you are describing is indeed radical and dangerous. It is called business meeting a consumer's needs via private enterprise. It also has shades of value addition, another rebel's cause.

There is only one "LEGITIMATE" reason to BSE test beef or carcasses and that is to detect BSE prions in that beef or those carcasses. If you are testing beef and carcasses from cattle less 24 months of age and using a bse test that will not detect prions in cattle under 24 months of age, you are committing fraud by creating a "PERCEPTION" of food safety.

If the tests will not detect BSE prions, there is no reason to test other than to create the PERCEPTION to consumers that your product is safer than it really is.

BSE testing cattle less than 24 months of age by using a BSE test that will not detect BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age is fraud, pure and simple!

~SH~

Just wondering?????????????

Who said anything about using a test that doesn't work?

Only the USDA would do that.

There are tests out there that find "Pre-Clinical" cases.

People also assume that beef is "E-Coli-Free" too, but the tests don't always reveal it. Is that fraud too?

~SH~ said:
There is only one "LEGITIMATE" reason to BSE test beef or carcasses and that is to detect BSE prions in that beef or those carcasses. If you are testing beef and carcasses from cattle less 24 months of age and using a bse test that will not detect prions in cattle under 24 months of age, you are committing fraud by creating a "PERCEPTION" of food safety.

If the tests will not detect BSE prions, there is no reason to test other than to create the PERCEPTION to consumers that your product is safer than it really is.

BSE testing cattle less than 24 months of age by using a BSE test that will not detect BSE prions in cattle under 24 months of age is fraud, pure and simple!

~SH~

Legitimate or not is your OPINION. There are also other ways to measure legitimacy. It may or may not be scientificly legitimate to test young cattle, but it may very well be legitimate for a consumer's peace of mind.

Either way, what is it to you? If PPRM's customers want tested beef, knows what they're getting, and he is willing to meet their needs, who are you to say anything? Both PPRM and his customer are happy, no damage was done, and you weren't effected in the least. Again, who are you?

For someone who lampoons Democrats and their platform, you sure have embraced big brother's intrusion in commerce.

Since this "Fraud" is already occurring in Japan and other parts of the world SH. Maybe you should be the join the USDA as the ambassador of truth, and go tell the citizens of Japan all about how they are being conned.

You're losing ground on this arguement every day SH. Maybe it's time to cut and run, rather than cut and paste.

No one is saying that we should tell the Japanese or whoever how and which animals to test. We are simply advocating asking and the following their rules.

~SH~ said:

~SH~

Are you arguing that only you can determine what is a legitimate test, SH? If the tests the Japanese want is not legitimate and they eventually find that out, don't you think they will stop testing with that test?

Should we just trust the USDA in their overwhelming ability to tell the "truth"? The Japanese do not. They probably have good reason. If they are testing all their beef in Japan, why should they not require that test on imported meat, whatever the test is that they want?

Does testing for BSE hurt the meat or cause ANY damage to its use as a food product? Why are you arguing this point then?

Latest posts