• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A River Runs Through It (or at least a small creek)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT (or at least a small creek)

"If I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have come"

words spoken by Will Moreland, age seven

It was a beautiful January Sunday morning in the northern Sandhills of Nebraska. The sun was shining, there was no wind, and the temperature was well above freezing, which is a rarity for this time of year. Normally, going to church is an important part of our Sunday activities, but on this fine day I decided to play hooky and take my young son on a horseback ride through the north hills of our ranch. There was a horse sale coming up the following Wednesday, and I had a wild little molly mule that needed a new home. If she went along on our trip with a pack saddle on her back, it might help her salability. At least I would be able to say in all honesty that she had been packed.

My seven-year-old son Will was excited about the prospect of going for a ride on his good little pony Joker. Having quite a few saddle horses on hand at the time, my recollection of which one I rode that day is rather hazy. We got saddled up after having to tie up a hind leg on the wonder mule, Cherry, to get the pack saddle on. We put our lunch and some extra coats in the pack, but it was a real light load. We headed north, with our destination being Elm Creek, about five miles from our house. It has its beginning in a big gully not far from the north boundary of our ranch, on land that belonged to Ray Gardiner at the time. Several small springs emerge from a steep sandy side hill and come together to form Elm Creek. Right away, quite a bit of water flows down a small canyon. Trees line the waterway, and it is a scenic piece of countryside.

We rode down the creek for half a mile before coming to a nice grassy spot that looked like it would be a good place to tie our horses and mule to trees, and have our picnic. It was on the other side of the stream, so I urged my horse into the water and the mule followed along. Will started Joker across. Joker got right out in the middle and started pawing and splashing. Before I had a chance to tell Will to kick the pony and keep him going, Joker lay down in the water to roll. Of course my young partner fell off into the babbling brook and got soaked. As he emerged from the creek, his first words were, "If I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't have come."

Though the day was nice and sunny, it was still January, known for short days and not an over abundance of heat. Will was wet enough that he was getting chilly. We ate our dinner fast, then mounted up to ride a little further north to the home of Ray and Virginia Gardiner. We tied our horses and mule to their yard fence, and walked up the sidewalk to knock at their door. They were surprised to see us, as they hadn't heard anyone drive up.

Ray and Virginia were kind gracious people, and invited us into their home. We explained that we were out for a Sunday ride and told of the water incident. Virginia had a wonderful idea. She came out with a blanket for Will to wrap himself in, and then took his wet apparel to her electric clothes dryer. We had a pleasant visit for half an hour, and then Will enjoyed dressing in nice warm dry clothes. Our six-mile ride home was uneventful, except for finding an arrowhead in a sandy blowout by a windmill. Will thought that made up for getting wet, and he was glad he had come after all.

gcreekrch said:
Good story Soapweed, how did the mule sell?

The mule came into the ring loose still showing sweat marks from the pack saddle, even though her 12-mile "pack trip" had occurred four days previous. The auctioneer read the mail card, which gave her young age and said, "has been packed," which was the honest truth. I think "Cherry" the mule brought $160. I do remember the phone call from the buyer a few days later. He asked, "Can that mule do anything but eat nails and kick?" My reply was, "That pretty much sums up her talents."

What is the story on the mule that last graced the Spearhead with his presence? Soap used to post pics of that magnificent beast, but hasn't in a while.

Dad used to say that it was OK to go to the horse sale, but if a mule came in the ring, you'd better keep your damn hands DOWN!

When the mosquito wrecked my gettin' on ability, I sold the mules. No one else on this outfit liked them very much, and I wanted to get rid of them before calving that year. They will kill calves if given half a chance.

If you want to see prime mules in action, the place to be is Jake Clark's Mule Days in Ralston, Wyoming (17 miles northeast of Cody, Wyoming) this coming week-end, June 17 - 21, 2015. Every Father's Day, Jake has a saddle mule auction at his ranch. Some of the best mules in the world are for sale at this event, and consignments are highly screened for quality. There are several days of mule events, with a big parade and all-mule rodeo on Saturday. Sunday there is cowboy church in the morning, and the sale starts at about noon. I'd love to be going myself, but won't make it out this year. Peach and I have been there three different years, and it is always fine entertainment and great fun. Here is a link to the events: http://www.saddlemule.com/schedule.html

My grandfather raised mules in Missouri. I thought they were beautiful until he bred the draft mare he gave me to a Jack... :(
'He really did have some good ones. (of course he really didn't give me the mare but his telling me that made me really happy.)

Latest posts