• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Time-Share Dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
Some friends took me out for a birthday dinner tonight which was delightful- a fondu restaurant (For the cooks here: we cooked our dipped meats in broth at the table and dipped bread and vegies in seasoned melted cheese and dessert was fruits and pieces of cake dipped in Bailey's flavored warm chocolate.)
Back to dogs:
During dinner when we weren't teasing our waiter (For the ex-Sheriffs here:an ex-LosAngeles citycop wounded in service who plans to go back to police work when he finishes his degree) we talked about sharing a dog. Any of you ever hear of sharing a dog successfully? How do you think a dog would adapt if he got used to two homes simultaneously as a puppy if we moved his bed back and forth with him? We have meals in each others homes frequently, almost weekly, so there would be a lot of interaction with pooch. I really miss having a dog and this was the only way we could think might work with our schedules. But I wouldn't want to turn him into a misfit doggy.

Hi nr,

Our Bichon Frise had her second batch of pups about 7 weeks ago, and once again they sold like hotcakes. I was thinking of you and wondering what condition one would arrive in if I mailed it to you. :wink:

nr, this is strictly a guess on my part, but I would think it would be okay to time-share a dog. You would have to talk it over well, of course, to make sure you both gave the same commands, feeding schedule, etc. They say, and I don't buy into this, that dogs cannot tell time. TDogs don't know if you are away an hour or three days. I questioned this theory because how many dogs meet a school bus at the right time? When I asked this question, the answer was that the situations were different and that dogs cannot 'measure' time. So perhaps they can't.

We owned a horse once with the good old buddy I mention here from time to time. (He passed away a few years ago and his name was Bob.) My husbands name is Jack. Bob kept the horse for 6 months out of the year. He went to New Mexico in the winter and took the horse along. We used the horse in the summer for tthose 6 months.. Everything was fine, until we all decided to sell the horse. That is when we found out that while we called the horse, "Bob"; Bob called the horse, "Jack." LOL!!!!

So if you time share the dog, make sure it ALWAYS has the same name!!!

Faster horses said:
My husbands name is Jack. Bob kept the horse for 6 months out of the year. He went to New Mexico in the winter and took the horse along. We used the horse in the summer for tthose 6 months.. Everything was fine, until we all decided to sell the horse. That is when we found out that while we called the horse, "Bob"; Bob called the horse, "Jack." LOL!!!!

So if you time share the dog, make sure it ALWAYS has the same name!!!

Reminds me of an international couple we know. She (Mexican) only spoke in Spanish to their children and her husband (Greek) only spoke in Greek. The children went to a school taught in English. They ended up tri-lingual and knew in which language to reply to the parent. So I guess any intelligent horse could adjust to two names!

Latest posts