• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A whole swack of pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
It fall gatherin' time so I have been working getting cattle gathered up for fall gather. This is me and the dogs bringing home 30 pairs of PB's about 8 miles .
FallRoundup2009028.jpg

The dogs were helping bring another bunch along and I was driving our ranch Pathfinder :oops: (Our version of a Japanese quarter horse)
FallRoundup2009005.jpg

We had a dump of snow on the yard but the hills all around were bare. :?
FallRoundup2009007.jpg

We had some great help for the fall gather on Saturday. These guys were turning the herd as they went thru the gate on the trail home.
FallRoundup2009009.jpg

This couple came about 150 miles to help. Her Grandpa used to have the next ranch to us.
FallRoundup2009010.jpg

A grandma and her grand daughter helping out.
FallRoundup2009011.jpg

Tam was bringing cows down to the barn for preg checking. When I was busy doing other things my horse helped with out me. :D
FallRoundup2009012.jpg

FallRoundup2009013.jpg

FallRoundup2009014.jpg

FallRoundup2009015.jpg

We set up inside and really enjoy it.
FallRoundup2009017.jpg

My son didn't mind working the chute next to this vet.Even if she is married. :D A real nice young lady and a very competent vet.
FallRoundup2009019.jpg

Thank you Short grass for the brain wave. Your folding gate gave me and idea and it worked great. We used to run to the doors and change gates when a dry came thru. With your inspiration we set up this panel and gate to sort two way. Saved lots of steps.
FallRoundup2009016.jpg

FallRoundup2009020.jpg

You've been pretty quiet for a week. Did you drive those home from Soapweeds? :p

Those cows had a good summer on the lone prairie and the coulees. All weaned, sorted and empties shipped now?

In the first picture you would be able to see your dogs running away 8 times on the first day. :wink:

quite a horse that doesn't need a rider to bring cows up the alley...maybe he'd rather work alone? :eek: :p

quite a horse that doesn't need a rider to bring cows up the alley...maybe he'd rather work alone?

.......just shows ya who's the smarter of the two :lol: :wink:

thats not fair, having the option to set up inside :wink: around here it is do it outside or do it outside. i agree with Yanuck, that palimino looks kinda handy :D

Nice picture tour. Is that travelling crew available next week? Will the cows be going back to where they came from in the hills or will they stay close to home now?

You've been busy! Doesn't it feel good to get your fall work wrapped up? :D Your cattle look nice.

Yep, it looks like between your yellow horse, and dogs, you probably only have to go along to open gates...that's really the way it should be :wink: :lol: .

What's a 'swack'?

What is the white dog? Looks like he has a bob-tail. That makes
him 'my kind,' I like bob-tailed dogs.

That yella horse even has his ears pinned back at the cows!!!

We work inside too, and we have that same type 'sorting' panel...

Thanks for the pictures. Now what?

Faster horses said:
What's a 'swack'?

a swack is the same as "a whole whack"

BMR, what do those two tanks contain that are located on top of the squeeze chute?

Thanks for the pics BMR, looks like you've got a pretty handy setup there. I like the idea of doing it inside. How do you like the hydraulic chute?

Nice set up. Up your way inside working conditions are about necessary, they would be nice here. Looks like your gate set up works fine. I have had opportunity to use my new pens 3 times. If the cattle tell you its set up wrong, everything they have told me is I have a good "floor plan". Sorting works great. Loading both alleys works good, and the loadout works good. The front end load on the loading chute pen was great. The calves were ready to go back to the chute end, and climbed on the truck. By the way, I like the yella horse too!

The dogs is a long tail FH . His grand daddy belonged to Paul Schultes from Pierre S D. I think. The horse trader/ auction guy. We got him from his brother. He is turning out to be a pretty good dog.

The white jug atop the chute is a 20 liter Ivomec jug that we refill so we can do a bunch of cattle. The rest is the oil res and motor for the hydraulics. I really like the chute and would hate to go back to a manual.

Yes the birds like the set up but we close the doors and go pigeon jigging at night if we get any.

Faster horses said:
What's a 'swack'?

That yella horse pinned her ears in warning and nipped at anything that she thought was moving to slow or was going to try turn around and run by her. We were to bring 6 cows at a time and when we only had five cut out I would say that wasn't enough and she would follow me back to cut out another one. When we have enough all I said was we got them lets go and she would turn and push them to the barn and stand there while I closed the gate. She even kept the cows from coming into the barn when we didn't have the gates set. She would turn and nip at them as if to say get out we're not ready for you yet. We lost a few but all in all we kept the barn guys supplied with what they could handle. She sure surprised me the first time but at the last she was part of the team with or without a rider. :wink:

Tam said:
Faster horses said:
What's a 'swack'?

That yella horse pinned her ears in warning and nipped at anything that she thought was moving to slow or was going to try turn around and run by her. We were to bring 6 cows at a time and when we only had five cut out I would say that wasn't enough and she would follow me back to cut out another one. When we have enough all I said was we got them lets go and she would turn and push them to the barn and stand there while I closed the gate. She even kept the cows from coming into the barn when we didn't have the gates set. She would turn and nip at them as if to say get out we're not ready for you yet. We lost a few but all in all we kept the barn guys supplied with what they could handle. She sure surprised me the first time but at the last she was part of the team with or without a rider. :wink:

That's a great story Tam :D . So am I guessing you preferred working alone with your two nice ponies??? :wink: Sounds like you made a good team :D .

Latest posts