• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Abandon Buildings - Contest

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Vote

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
I'm posting this a lil early tonight because we are decorating for Christmas......and I didn't wanna forget ...if you have an entry go ahead and send it, I'll get it posted in the mornin along with the one's I already have. Thanks

1. Clarencen
StoreBuildingCarter.jpg

2. Jassy
D227Old-Schoolhouse_edited--1.jpg

3. Martin Jr.
KeyaPahaStore.jpg

4. Ms Sage
dbf7a63b.jpg

5. Lilly
2009-11-17-012.jpg

6. Jigger Boss
IMG_1439.jpg

Fascinating to look at, even if they are sad. Any chance of getting the story behind each of these buildings after the contest ends?

The House With Nobody In It - by Joyce Kilmer

Whenever I walk to Suffern along the Erie track
I go by a poor old farmhouse with it's shingles broken and black,
I suppose I've passed it a hundred times, but I always stop for a minute
and look at the house, the tragic house, the house with nobody in it.

I never have seen a haunted house, but I hear there are such things;
That they hold the talk of spirits, their mirth and sorrowings.
I know this house isn't haunted, and I wish it were, I do;
For it wouldn't be so lonely if it had a ghost or two.

This house on the road to Suffern needs a dozen panes of glass,
and somebody ought to weed the walk and take a scythe to the grass.
It needs new paint and shingles, and the vines shoud be trimmed and tied;
But what it needs the most of all is some people living inside.

If I had a lot of money and all my debts were paid;
I'd put a gang of men to work with brush and saw and spade.
I'd buy that place and fix it up the way it used to be,
And I'd find some people who wanted a home and give it to them free.

Now, a new house standing empty, with staring window and door,
Looks idle, perhaps, and foolish, like a hat on it's block in the store.
But there's nothing mournful about it; it cannot be sad and lone
For the lack of something within it that it has never known.

But a house that has done what a house should do, a house that has sheltered life,
That has put it's loving wooden arms around a man and wife,
A house that has echoed a baby's laugh and held up his stumbling feet,
Is the saddest sight when it's left alone, that ever your eyes could meet.

So whenever I go to Suffern along the Erie track,
I never go by the empty house without stopping and looking back.
Yet it hurts me to look at the crumbling roof and the shutters fallen apart,
For I can't help thinking the poor old house is a house with a broken heart.

By chance there are two pictures from Tripp County, South Dakota here.
The old building that Clarence took a picture of many years ago is gone now I believe, but was located at the site of Carter, SD along Highway 18.
I think it was a hotel. I believe there were two banks there at one time.

Keya Paha, SD is located about 20 miles south of Carter. This picture was taken maybe 15 years ago of so. The family that ran it retired, and closed up shop I think. Keya Paha is Lakota for "Turtle Hills" named after the flat top hills along the Keya Paha river just to the north of the Keya Paha store.

Maybe Katrina can come up with a bit more history on these places.

the church I took a few years ago on I40 west of Amarillo. I have thought about driving to see if I could find it again...I am SURE shoer knows right where it is ....this time stop and get up close to it instead of going 70 mph

My picture was taken a few year ago, the townsite of the old town Carter, South Dakota. I believe a bar is all that is left there today. Back when Tripp County was organized Carter and Winner were in a contest to see which would be the county seat. I believe it was still a thriving town about 1920.

I first set eyes on this town in 1948. It is about 50 miles from my home. My family had just bought a new car. The county I live in was unorganized at that time. The courthouse in Winner handled our county's affairs. I don't remember much about the town then, I think it was nearly a ghost town even then, but there were more buildings then, some may have been in use then. I was not interested in pictures of this town until 40 years later.

I
OldbankvaultSteps.jpg

believe good water was a problem in that area. In 1953, my brother went by bus to Sioux falls for his Army physical. There was only three day bus service from Winner west. When he came back, he got a ride with the mail carrier. There was a post office in Carter then. The mail carrier brought two cream cans of drinking water to them from Winner

I didn't get the above post the way I wanted it. The picture is where the bank once stood. What you see in the center is what is left of the vault. I have an earlier picture of it also.

CarterHotel.jpg

this was the old hotel, it was a block or so south of the store building.

ScannedImage-2-7.jpg

ScannedImage-36.jpg

This hill is close by, years back probably before the town of Carter, freighters hauled freight from the Missouri River to the Rosebud Indian agency. this was one of their landmarks. A girl friend of one of my hired men was looking through my pictures one time, she asked what that was. I told her what the freighters called it, then she laughted.

Clarencen said:
ScannedImage-36.jpg

This hill is close by, years back probably before the town of Carter, freighters hauled freight from the Missouri River to the Rosebud Indian agency. this was one of their landmarks. A girl friend of one of my hired men was looking through my pictures one time, she asked what that was. I told her what the freighters called it, then she laughted.

Yep- Clarence we have a few of those old named type landmarks around...I remember when the kids were really little, we came back from hunting and when the wife asked where we went the kids blurted out the name of the location- to which my wife chastised me for teaching them those names...Like I told her- thats the name its been forever- and I wasn't about to PC it to Indian Womans Breasts... :wink:

We have a Squaw *** Mountain in Texas too.....

My pictures is a recent one. Think a week or so ago I posted pictures of a lil house that I'd dearly love to fix up.

The family that lived there back in the day was a ranching family. Some of their decendants still live around here. But unlike other places this one now goes by "The Town Place" because it's the closest piece of land that he owns, towards town.

Latest posts