• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Adios my wonderful friend

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I had the privilege of working for the Olson family from the time I turned 14 through my 22 year. They are salt of the earth folks who have ranched successfully here on the desert for lots of generations. Cal Olson was my mentor/friend/neighbor for my entire life. He passed away a few years ago. Today his wonderful wife joined him in heaven. Ruth was 99 and such an amazing lady. She cooked the most amazing meals for the ranch hands. She made us feel like we were part of their family. She served so many people in our valley and was such an inspiration to us all in how to be a Christian woman. She loves to play cards and we spent many nights waiting for a heifer to calve playing cards. Ruth is from a generation we simply cannot replace. She has gone to be with her Beloved Cal. I shall miss visiting her and her sweet smile and the sparkle in her eyes. Rest in piece my dear sweet friend!!! ❤️
Working for the Olson family was one of the highest honors of my life. I will forever treasure those days and nights cowboying for the Lazy H ranch.

It's hard to not be happy for her being together with her husband again. And 99 is a wonderfully long life. But this old planet is a little worse tonight losing a lady like Ruth Olson. I went out this evening and walked around the corrals and looked at some weaned calves. The family that had all come to bid her farewell were all on the lawn reminiscing and remembering their matriarch. I didn't want disturb them and my intent was to just check the calves so my good friends could mourn and visit in peace. But my good friend who is their son and manages the ranch now came down and we talked. I was sure touched to know that Cal and Ruth loved me as much as they did their own kids. It's people like the Olson's who truly make life enjoyable and worth the other crap that happens.

I spent a few minutes last night and wrote down a few words. I sent them to their kids as a little way to let them all know how critically important their amazing parents were to me and our valley. Thought I'd share with y'all

There is a red brick home, just west of town, that I see each night as the sun goes down.

It's not really big and kinda nondescript,

But a whole bunch of love has sure lived in it.

It was built by a couple of wonderful people, who made that little brick home, as sacred as a house with a steeple.

And they didn't even built it with a hammer or nail, they built it through example and love without fail.

They welcomed you in and made ya feel right at home. Ya went in by yourself, but ya didn't ever, go out alone.

A little piece of them always stayed in your soul, and the light that they shared, could even brighten coal.

They were humble and kind and taught lessons that stuck, from a plain little red home or an old pickup truck.

They loved and they served and did it all so low key. They made such an impact, to you and to me.

Wether family or friend or a man kinda lost, they just welcomed you in and never thought about cost.

They cared for the grandkids and they cared for the strays, that happened to wander in, with a job to haul hay.

And for Cal and for Ruth it came natural as air, to make ya feel

Better for just stopping by there.

I grew up a lot in the time that I spent and I look back now as the time has just went,

And I treasure each second that I was inside their door. As I sit here this evening and my tears hit the floor.

I'm so happy the two of them are finally back together, and I'm grateful God made it possible, for families and forever.

But those bricks and those walls and the roof and the lawn

Have become kinda sacred, now that both have passed on.

I love you Cal and and how we all love you Ruth. Thanks for the meals and the lessons of my youth.

Just one little humble home and a little nondescript,

But there's no way to measure the love inside it.

Darrell August 21

Latest posts