• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Adios my wonderful friend

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Gus was our dog. We got him when he was just a pup. The kids were little and they grew up together. It's been 13 years and he's been the best dog ever. He'd ride the four wheeler with me wherever I went. He barrel raced with my daughter as part of a talent show when she was still in elementary school. He was loyal and kind and protective and we all loved him. Today the kids loaded their horses and headed up to the mountain just to go for a ride since the November weather has been so mild. Gus went along like he has a hundred other times. Somehow he fell off the truck and the trailer got him. It was quick and I pray he didn't feel anything. I'm asking for your prayers for my kids. They were alone and it's just destroyed them both. Please keep them in your prayers for next few days and weeks. We will never replace Ol Gus. He damn sure better be waiting for me in heaven or I am not going. I will miss ya my great dog. Thanks for all the things we did together and for all the times you made me laugh. I'll never stack hay or ride the wheeler without thinking of you. Rest easy Augustus. Love ya pal
6FC81315-E44A-4E73-8BA8-5FE9F204A825.jpeg

Attachments

• 2B1C565D-BBCE-4CEB-B850-64F50D8D4D13.jpeg
    2B1C565D-BBCE-4CEB-B850-64F50D8D4D13.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 39
That is a tough one especially for your kids. I will keep them in my prayers. I had a similar one happen nearly 20 years ago. The youngest was first driving. She started out too slow the dog ran across in front of her just as she hit the gas. He was the dog the kids all grew up with. It was bitter sweet for me. I knew that he had cancer and wasn't looking forward to the day I knew was coming. This was a lot quicker for him. But still pretty hard. Especially for the daughter who was driving.
I have put down half a dozen dogs myself. It has never been an easy thing to do. But last March I had to have the best dog I ever had down. I couldn't do it myself. When the time came I couldn't even be the one to take her into the vet's office. I must be getting old or something.
But now I have a 100 mph pup who has the signs of becoming a great dog. If I walk anywhere near where the quad is parked she jumps on it ready to go. Life does go on. My advise is don't wait too long before getting a new pup. It will never be Gus but treat it the way I know you will and it will be a good dog and companion for you and yours.

Dang, I just saw this. What a bummer. I had that happen to a dog several years ago. Now everyone is tied on. Hugs to all of you.

It brought tears to me. So sorry and I will say prayers for your kids. My old boy can barely get on the 4 wheeler now and prefers the ranger so he can crawl intothe seat. Had him 10 years now. He still can smell a new calf hid in some of the craziest places. He also can put a cow or sheep in the pen if really needed. Since wehave no children he is our child. Sleeps next to the bed every night.

It brought tears to me. So sorry and I will say prayers for your kids. My old boy can barely get on the 4 wheeler now and prefers the ranger so he can crawl intothe seat. Had him 10 years now. He still can smell a new calf hid in some of the craziest places. He also can put a cow or sheep in the pen if really needed. Since wehave no children he is our child. Sleeps next to the bed every night.
There are things available to help old dogs feel and do better. Glad you love your old dog. They are special for sure.

There are things available to help old dogs feel and do better. Glad you love your old dog. They are special for sure.
Yes there are. Petlab joint formula makes a big difference in his movement. We give him Hemp Chews, Petlab, and Movoflex daily. About $75/month, but he is worth it. I am sure he would do it for me if he could!!!! Pets/animals are a gift to us...

Patty got her stitches out yesterday. Of course that meant that she lost the cone head too. Back to her old self. I was over by the feed bunk getting some hay to take over to the calves I bought today. Patty jumped in to chase the calves by the feed bunk. Get out you little monster. I get to the pen where the new calves are. Start to open the gate and she bail in that pen. GET OUT. I get the mail and my coat out of the pickup and take it to the house. The dogs are with me. I am not in the house for 5 seconds. and both dogs are 100 yards down the driveway in the pen with the calves. This is going to be a trying year or two getting her trained.

But I took some calves to the sale this morning for B. After we loaded them we were standing there solving the worlds problems. His dogs jumped in with some calves 4 or 5 times in the 15 minutes we were talking. I told him I have the same problem. He said better to have that problem than to have a dog who couldn't care less about a cow.

Latest posts