• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Advice for a first time wrangler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cows

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a young city guy taking on a job with a working ranch this summer starting in April. Most of the work involved will be breaking in young horses (did this for the first time last year) and herding ~1,000 head of cattle, plus the less routine day to day tasks - fixing fence, etc. I've only done this in one to two week periods of time in the past, then last summer for two months, so I still consider myself relatively new to the experience. Thought I'd ask for any advice while I can before I leave, which I know is a very general question.

Maybe you can share your first-time experiences, similar situations, or lessons learned while you were learning the ropes, even if you were a kid.

I will give you some advice.
1. Keep calm leave the whips and spurs home
2. Listen to you boss watch your boss and how he handles cattle.
3. Don't try and be a hero if you have a question don't be afraid to ask it. The only stupid question is one that was not asked.
4. Don't get hurt if you are not comfortable doing something ask for advice and help. Life is to short to get all busted up.
5. Have fun and wish you the best of luck

I will give you some advice.
1. Keep calm leave the whips and spurs home
2. Listen to you boss watch your boss and how he handles cattle.
3. Don't try and be a hero if you have a question don't be afraid to ask it. The only stupid question is one that was not asked.
4. Don't get hurt if you are not comfortable doing something ask for advice and help. Life is to short to get all busted up.
5. Have fun and wish you the best of luck

When you are working around cattle, walk...don't run. You will never win a foot race with a cow. It is easier to let them run off a ways and bring them back than to try to run them down.

Work hard - it's actually the path of least resistance. Slackers get extra work and the crappy jobs.

Working cattle is an art and not everyone knows how to do it no matter their position or how many cows they've worked. Be willing to learn, ask for explanations, and learn to recognize it done right and why it's right.

Recognize that if you're working with idiots, sometimes it doesn't matter how quiet you try to handle the cattle, and it's not your fault.

Realize that sometimes it is your fault.

There is a place everyone working belongs in relation to that herd. If you don't know where you belong - ask - and find out why so you don't have to ask again.

Watch The Cowboys with John Wayne. Maybe some places are gentler trainers - but most of the time learning to work cattle right is a painful crash course.

Learn to accept constructive criticism with a good attitude. If you're at the bottom of the ladder you'll get a lot of it.

If you're working a job with more people than just your boss - find the people who know what they're doing and learn from them, not the ones who think they know what they're doing.

You can usually learn something from everyone - usually.

Every operation runs things a little differently - different is neither good nor bad.

Doing things right the first time equals more time for other things.

Fixing fence is an art form too. If you're lucky enough to have a job where they know how to do it well and care about it - put the effort in to get good at it. You'll begin to appreciate a good fencing job when you see it - regardless of whether it's yours or not.

Figure out what you don't know and make an effort to pick up some skills that will make you a better candidate for the next job.

The work ethic and communication skills to work for minimum wage at the bottom of the team are not the same as those expected from the good hands - or those who lead the team. Unless you plan on being at the bottom forever, work on more than just your cow/horse skills.

Lastly, have fun. It's a learning opportunity that people who have families, houses, pets, kids, etc can't do - so enjoy it.

milkmaid said:
Work hard - it's actually the path of least resistance. Slackers get extra work and the crappy jobs.

Working cattle is an art and not everyone knows how to do it no matter their position or how many cows they've worked. Be willing to learn, ask for explanations, and learn to recognize it done right and why it's right.

Recognize that if you're working with idiots, sometimes it doesn't matter how quiet you try to handle the cattle, and it's not your fault.

Realize that sometimes it is your fault.

There is a place everyone working belongs in relation to that herd. If you don't know where you belong - ask - and find out why so you don't have to ask again.

Watch The Cowboys with John Wayne. Maybe some places are gentler trainers - but most of the time learning to work cattle right is a painful crash course.

Learn to accept constructive criticism with a good attitude. If you're at the bottom of the ladder you'll get a lot of it.

If you're working a job with more people than just your boss - find the people who know what they're doing and learn from them, not the ones who think they know what they're doing.

You can usually learn something from everyone - usually.

Every operation runs things a little differently - different is neither good nor bad.

Doing things right the first time equals more time for other things.

Fixing fence is an art form too. If you're lucky enough to have a job where they know how to do it well and care about it - put the effort in to get good at it. You'll begin to appreciate a good fencing job when you see it - regardless of whether it's yours or not.

Figure out what you don't know and make an effort to pick up some skills that will make you a better candidate for the next job.

The work ethic and communication skills to work for minimum wage at the bottom of the team are not the same as those expected from the good hands - or those who lead the team. Unless you plan on being at the bottom forever, work on more than just your cow/horse skills.

Lastly, have fun. It's a learning opportunity that people who have families, houses, pets, kids, etc can't do - so enjoy it.

Man, you just nailed life!!!!!!! :tiphat: :clap:

Latest posts