• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Age Verification?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Not a big deal. Keep track of your calving dates. I age & source verify through Angus Association's program: Angus Source. It requires Angus bulls registered in your name. It's painless, if you keep records of your calf crop. Don't know if it makes much difference in the sale of my calves, but every little bit helps. There are a lot of different programs available. You have to choose which one fits your operation. Some are very expensive for the initial audit. Angus Source costs $50 for the audit to qualify for the tags. They also have a new program, Gateway, which allows producers to qualify without sourcing the genetics. Clear as mud, right?????

What does your buyers need or want for verification? My two major buyers I list tag number and birthdate and sign the their form certifying the data is correct to the best of my knowledge.

good topic, i've wondered about this aswell.

how much of a premium does age and source put in a producers pocket?

Justin said:
good topic, i've wondered about this aswell.

how much of a premium does age and source put in a producers pocket?

Here it would have paid better if we had sold them at the salebarn the 2 years we did it..

I've been told the best pay back is obtained when there are "numbers" of age & source verified cattle. I sold my calves the first week of January. The market jumped up the next week because of the USDA crop reports that tanked grains. At that sale, there were approximately 450 source verified calves. Part of our export problem is the lack of age & sourced cattle, so I've been told. I believe it adds anywhere from $2-4 a hundred on a calf. On January 5,2010, I had a group of 600 lb steers, age & source verified with health records, bring $1.05. I've age & sourced for years and have had no reason to regret doing it.

It's a good deal and will determine if some of the feedlots will bid on your calves or not. The first calf born is the key. The rest of the calves within the season will be aged as old as that first calf. Just keep your calving records as you normally do in your daybook or wherever you would normally write such a thing. Call the Angus Association to check out their program, Angus bulls or not. It's fairly cheap and several tag options. You can tag with the official source/age tags at preconditioning time or other working occassion for the programs that require a unique I.D. besides your ranch tag. IMI Global doesn't require a different tag besides your ranch tag, provided you tag your calves already. It's a bit pricier but also a solid program. There are others such as AgInfoLink, Cattlelog, Samson, etc.

Buyers will factor that age/source money into their breakeven when they purchase calves. When selling fats it's worth from $15 to $35 per head to the seller, more in those really off times of the year. Just my outlook and experience, no absolutes here.

HP

Thanks for the info it was really helpfull. We use all simmental so i've been looking at there program. Also wondering if any of you south dakota guys have used the south dakota certified enrolled program?

Latest posts