• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Agman, the Economy is Doing Great

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cowpuncher

Reaction score
Every week, usually on the same day, I travel on highway 40/287 and I-70 on the way to our ranch.

I started noting the truck traffic and eventually noticed that it seemed to be a leading economic indicator for the economy.

A few years back, I had a flat trailer tire and only one truck went by in the time it took me to change tires. I predicted a recession and it happened a few month later.

The traffic yesterday was fierce. Trucks almost bumper to bumper.

Looks like this would be a fairly easy way to figure which way the ecomony is headed. huh?

Cowpuncher said:
Every week, usually on the same day, I travel on highway 40/287 and I-70 on the way to our ranch.

I started noting the truck traffic and eventually noticed that it seemed to be a leading economic indicator for the economy.

A few years back, I had a flat trailer tire and only one truck went by in the time it took me to change tires. I predicted a recession and it happened a few month later.

Looks like this would be a fairly easy way to figure which way the ecomony is headed. huh?

You might be right about being able to figure out which way the economy is headed cowpuncher. I used to haul a lot of freight from the coast to Colorado. Trouble was most of it came off of ships and was made in China. So what do you think that means for the economy long term?

Tumbleweed,

I guess it means truckers are working, Walmart is doing well and the oil companies are selling fuel.

For the rest of us, it means a lot of traffic.

Cowpuncher said:
Tumbleweed,

I guess it means truckers are working, Walmart is doing well and the oil companies are selling fuel.

For the rest of us, it means a lot of traffic.

Cowpuncher I think you're right. But I also think that it means that in the words of Warren Buffet we are living in squanderville and in the future we are going to pay dearly for that.

Reading these interesting posts, a strange question came to mind.......I wonder if anyone attempts to figure out how much money is spent by people in the USA on legal and illegal "feel good" drugs.

They may give pleasure for a few moments to a few hours, produce absolutely nothing else, often cause varying degrees of detrimental effects, and result in many people dependent upon government finances to support themselves and their families.

Contrast that with the "squanderville" theory which does feed and clothe families and leaves behind some re-saleable goods, and creates legal jobs for many people.

There should be ways to quantify the benefits of legal spending for products however useful, necessary, or unecessary upon our economy and quality of life for families. Does anyone do so?

MRJ

MRJ said:
Reading these interesting posts, a strange question came to mind.......I wonder if anyone attempts to figure out how much money is spent by people in the USA on legal and illegal "feel good" drugs.

They may give pleasure for a few moments to a few hours, produce absolutely nothing else, often cause varying degrees of detrimental effects, and result in many people dependent upon government finances to support themselves and their families.

Contrast that with the "squanderville" theory which does feed and clothe families and leaves behind some re-saleable goods, and creates legal jobs for many people.

There should be ways to quantify the benefits of legal spending for products however useful, necessary, or unecessary upon our economy and quality of life for families. Does anyone do so?

MRJ

MRJ, can you relate squanderville with the very wealthy in our economy?

Cowpuncher said:

You are right with your observation. You an also check and monitor truck sales. Freight rates, train and cargo ship rates etcetra also confirm the economic growth in the U.S which is now taking hold in other countries.

agman said:
Cowpuncher said:

You are right with your observation. You an also check and monitor truck sales. Freight rates, train and cargo ship rates etcetra also confirm the economic growth in the U.S which is now taking hold in other countries.

The transportation sector has always been an indicator of a part of our economy's strength.

I guess thats all good news- the next generation can all get jobs as truck drivers or stevedores :???: Except if we sell the rest of our US ports to the Arabs you may have to wear a sheet around your head to be a stevedore :wink: :cry:

Latest posts