• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Agman, were you mis-informed?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
You stated earlier that the traceback was previously performed. The below ad shows that it was not.
The bungling by the USDA, i.e. mislabeling samples, etc. has me worried that the USDA don't know WHAT THE HELL is going on.
Do you have CREDIBLE "inside info" that might give us a little more confidence in these whackos?

DNA testing to find herd where diseased animal came from

06/25/2005

Associated Press

The government is conducting D-N-A tests to find the herd where an animal with mad cow disease came from -- and, hopefully, the source of the infection.

Mike, I don't want to answer for Agman, but my understanding is that they know where she came from, they are confirming with DNA, so they are 100% sure.

Murgen said:
Mike, I don't want to answer for Agman, but my understanding is that they know where she came from, they are confirming with DNA, so they are 100% sure.

"DNA testing to find herd where diseased animal came from"

That ain't what the article says Murg. Read the title again.
Besides, the two original rapid tests that tested positive had a 1 in 100,000 chance to be negative. They should have done ALL of the traceback months ago. Confirmation with DNA included.

Mike said:
You stated earlier that the traceback was previously performed. The below ad shows that it was not.
The bungling by the USDA, i.e. mislabeling samples, etc. has me worried that the USDA don't know WHAT THE HELL is going on.
Do you have CREDIBLE "inside info" that might give us a little more confidence in these whackos?

DNA testing to find herd where diseased animal came from

06/25/2005

Associated Press

The government is conducting D-N-A tests to find the herd where an animal with mad cow disease came from -- and, hopefully, the source of the infection.

Traceback on this animal was performed. That does not suggest that traceback on the entire herd was performed. I am as disappointed as you are that the USDA cannot get their protocol to yield the most accurate results.

I have heard, not absolutely certain, that the retest completed in England also yielded a weak positive. My concern with the way the Western Blot test was conducted was the 20X oversampling done to yield the positive result.

I will be with some people late next week who know alot more about this than I and I hope to get a thorough explanation of that process. That procedure concerns me more than any other.

What worries me just as much reader is the fact that the USDA only approved rapid screening tests in April of last year! How many cattle were tested and showed negative on IHC but would have been positive in the more sensitive Rapids? Or better yet, how many were not tested with any means because they were only testing animals with CNS problems. I understand, that there would have been some false positives, but that's a heckuva lot better than false negatives.
But then again, some are not so sure this last episode WAS a "False Negative".

:???:

Latest posts