• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ahead of the game, Maybe

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
I shipped a package of hfr calves out to the sale today. Since they needed some hay earlier as they were leaving on the truck at noon I fed up all the calves but forgot to put a bales in for some young horses we are working on. Well since it was Sunday, cold and chores were done early I watched the rodeo this afternoon and ran some parts up to the neighbors then decided I had better start up the payloader and put that bale it. It was cold and windy still so I drove the payloader up along the feed bunk to open a gate for some other calves and grab a bale for the ponies. Well i looked over into a pen of bred hfrs I have been keeping up in case somebody with lots of money shows up and I see a little black lump laying in front of a hfr. Well she had a full term calf and it wasn't very cold yet but it wouldn't have survived the night. Got to get lucky some time. The calf is in the tack room with the heater on and the hfr. is in the barn. More winter chores. :roll:

Now do you remember which day the bull calves escaped last March? :lol:

The question is..... How many more are there? :shock:

Maybe one of those steers in the corral last winter didn't get 2 below the band :shock:
Ah well, that's one sure way of getting a black calf to wean over 800lbs in the fall :lol: :p

Faster horses said:
gcreekrch said:

My thought exactly!! You know those heifers that get bred early
are like seeing a mouse in your house. If you see one, you can bet
there are TEN more. :shock: :? :p

Going to be some chilly calving weather for a while...Temp here is plummeting the last couple of hours- is 2 Below now- and predicted to go to 10 Below...
But at least the snowing/drifting and 40 mph wind quit...

gcreekrch said:

There are only 40 in the corral, and a 100 more in the hills. :shock:

Funny thing they were preg checked September 19 and no mention was made of any that early. :?

The ones in the hills will have to fend for themselves I guess. Will have to walk the others pretty close tomorrow.
I put the cow and calf together just a few minutes ago in a pen in the barn. She went right back to licking on it. :D

Latest posts