• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ai heifer bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

AngusCowBoy

Reaction score
We are going yo keep about 30 angus heifers this year and are going to Ai them, so we are wondering what are some good angus heifer bulls to Ai to, we would like grassfed genetics with some growth and moderate frame size and mature weight.

katrina said:
Or Nolletts/Dalys from the Cody/Kilgore Ne. area.. Soap might know more.. I've been to their bull sale and they have really nice grass fed bulls

They have nice grassfed cattle. Another option might be Art Risse and his sons from Martin, South Dakota. This is where Big Swede and I get our heifer bulls.

The bulls I'd use right now for heifer AI are Sinclair Extra 4x13 we used 25 straws this year and have cows in production and yearling heifers. Very broody females of moderate size with great udders. The next would be OCC Homer females are pretty close in type to the 4x13 with as good if not better udders. Temperment on both are the same and thats about average meaning none stand out as hostile a few are stand offish but you'll have that with any genetics. Another bul lthat I really like is Bennett Total he's a 6595 son out of an EXT bred cow the calves I have off of him are very fancy in type but are going to be a knotch bigger mature but man do they grow.That bull got used again here. All 3 of these buls got used here a few years ago then once the evaluation of offspring is done we decide how they fit all 3 fit well in our program you just need to know where you really want to go with you cattle.

We're a little too far away with the herd of native Angus here at Laverstoke, isn't Kit Pharo one of the top breeders of easy care Angus in the USA?

AngusCowBoy said:
We are going yo keep about 30 angus heifers this year and are going to Ai them, so we are wondering what are some good angus heifer bulls to Ai to, we would like grassfed genetics with some growth and moderate frame size and mature weight.

Two bulls come to mind almost immediately... If you want a bull that is highly proven for sleep all night heifer calving that is a momma cow maker with good grassfed genetics I'd go with N Bar Prime Time D806---12557724 .....

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/angus.asp?CodTouro=29AN1520

My second choice would be Bannon of Wye UMF 8420-- 14261703 ...And the only reason he is second choice is because he is not as well proven...He and his progeny have received high ratings under some of the grassfed programs- is very easy calving and sires very docile progeny that are also very high in maternal qualities...

http://sustainablegenetics.com/black_angus.html

Both bulls add a little fat on their progeny which if you live in ND- just like here in MT with the 30-40 below temps helps them thrive thru the winters more efficiently in my opinion....

I have no skin in the game with either bull- just bulls I've used over the last few years that impressed me..

But if you need a herd bull or cleanup bull- I do have a Bannon son--Whitney Creek Bannon 730T # 15800329 that I've used succesfully for the last 3 years on cows and heifers (and are getting too many daughters/granddaughters of I've kept) and will be selling.... Cowmaker pedigree- He is a coming 5 year old and is barely a 5 frame...Gentle disposition (that he throws to his progeny) and will walk up on the prairie to get his head or back scratched...

100_0172.jpg

After being with the cows 2 months- definitely an easy keeper...

andybob said:
We're a little too far away with the herd of native Angus here at Laverstoke, isn't Kit Pharo one of the top breeders of easy care Angus in the USA?

Kit Pharo is a Top marketer but top breeder I highly doubt.

Latest posts