• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

AI Sires?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Denny

Reaction score
I am going to sync my heifers starting monday I have chosen these sires

1.BCC Bushwacker use on heifers

2. Bando 9074 for heifers

3.Glacier Chateau (red angus) for heifrs

4.Sitz alliance 6595 on cows

5.Sitz Value on cows

6.Conneally Freightliner on cows

any pros and cons on my picks

the heifers are mainly sired by a whitestone fly traveler son

the cows are of Viking Shoshone GD60 bloodlines for the most part.

Denny,
my choices would be Elk Creek Bronco for the cows, GKT Bud for the hiefers, you would be amazed at what those Gelbvieh bulls will do for those Angus cows :D :D

I don't know the black pedigrees very well so I can't help you much with that. As far as the red side goes. I would use OHRR Dakota Copper 29K. He is a 6 frame bull with explosive growth, calving ease, and very easy to look at. His dam is one of the bigger bodied cows out there and this guys daughters have near perfect udders. You will be very happy with them. Chateau is a good bull to, but he has some structural problems. Not near enough muscle, and I had to sell our son because of feet problems.

Hi Denny:

Not that I really have any business being in this discussion as my knowledge of AN pedigrees isn't the best (it seems Faster Horses and Northern Rancher might be more well suited to this discussion)--but for what it's worth----

I have seen over a hundred Alliance calves out of 9074 sired females and they were awesome!!!! I guess looking ahead, I would breed Alliance back to 9074 daughters....

Do you AN guys ever worry about milk!!!! We too have been thinking about using 9074 but we aren't dairy farmers either, and are concerned about the high milk EPD. Once a wise old cattleman told me that the two things in cattle that would silently make you go broke the fastest were high milking big framed cows....I don't want to get into BRG's fight about frame, but without a doubt the milk is true. A female will put energy into milk production before anything else---fertility included.

Sorry for the rant---my "two cents" worth--but then again, you get what you pay for too.

Watch the Glacier Chateaus for feet problems-they've become notorious for bad feet!!!---I've heard as the critters age (both bulls and cows) their feet really fall apart, so much so that Mel Leland is concerned about his heavy use of his star sire--if you're looking for a heifer bull on the RA side, why not look at a couple of bulls Big Red Genetics has - a Logan bull and a Copper Rob (Dakota Copper I think) bull (he's a little high on the milk too)-I've heard Joe Deans of SD (semen peddler, heifer development/AIing guru) highly recommend both, or maybe Brown Vacation (Genex), Bieber Make Mimi (Accelerated I think), or Messmer Judge (ABS). A note about Vacation-he's recently died, so semen will be getting more rare to get.

Have a grandslam of a day (it sounds like the Twins could use a couple of those!)

TTB :D

I have been quizing the people in our area we tend to get plenty of rain most of them arent a bit afraid of milk most of my cows epds currently have between 8 and 15 for milk and tend to run a mature weight of 1000 to 1200 with the exception of some larger cows i bought as bred heifers.I think you can tweak mature cow size just by the feed in front of the cattle as the are matureing.I would like to sell bulls someday but mainly am just building a good cowherd and will keep some bulls out for my own use.

I put sons with projected bw of 74 & 76 on my hfrs and the calves have been 80-86#'s. Nice calves, just larger than I planned.

Kate/wy said:
I put sons with projected bw of 74 & 76 on my hfrs and the calves have been 80-86#'s. Nice calves, just larger than I planned.

Kate. could you explain "projected" bw to me. I have never heard of that.
Or do you mean EPD's? I think 80 - 86 is the perfect calf size unless someone has dwarfs. Thanks

I think a bull that will come to the tops of the black angus breed in the next couple of years will be H A Image Maker- have been hearing that he is really proving up on the commercial herds- moderate size with a good weaning weight and makes good moderate cows........

Sorry, OT. I saw one HA Imagemaker son and I didn't like him at ALL. Looked like a real hard-doer and was the worse bull in the bunch~this was after one breeding season. Probably shouldn't make your mind up on seeing just one, but first impressions are everything.

Denny, where in the world did you get an Angus herd built on Viking GD60? Those are AWESOME cattle!! I would sure be interested in a bull out of your deal.

I know Bushwacker is popular, and one of the purebred breeders here used him and says he will use him again. I do like his pedigree, but for us, he is not a heifer bull. The outfit here that used him got 88 lb. bw, 87 lb. bw, 94# and 80# out of cows.
I like 6595, actually saw the bull at Hawkeye in Billings. We have used him too. I would choose something else from Conneally besides Freightliner. I just can't tolerate 598. Our experience with a Traveler 416 son out of a 598 daughter was not good. Hard fleshing and BIG. Nothing like 416's. We used him until he got so big and narrow. We were going to pound him out and a neighbor begged us to let him buy him as he was in a wreck and needed a bull bad, so we did. On that grass, the bull fell totally apart. The heifers we kept out of him were tall, narrow and hard doing. We got rid of all of them. In talking to the bull breeder we got him from, he confirmed the problem was 598. They had several daughters they got rid of because of the same thing. So there might be a little heads up on Freightliner. The Frontlines are supposedly good, as are the Datelines and Timelines. In our area, I hear resistance to Freightliner. If I had what you have, I would look into OCC Emblazon and stay away from anything with 598's. FWIW~

But looks like you've done okay so far!!! VIKING GD60's. WOW!!!!

Faster horses said:
Sorry, OT. I saw one HA Imagemaker son and I didn't like him at ALL. Looked like a real hard-doer and was the worse bull in the bunch~this was after one breeding season. Probably shouldn't make your mind up on seeing just one, but first impressions are everything.

Denny, where in the world did you get an Angus herd built on Viking GD60? Those are AWESOME cattle!! I would sure be interested in a bull out of your deal.

I know Bushwacker is popular, and one of the purebred breeders here used him and says he will use him again. I do like his pedigree, but for us, he is not a heifer bull. The outfit here that used him got 88 lb. bw, 87 lb. bw, 94# and 80# out of cows.
I like 6595, actually saw the bull at Hawkeye in Billings. We have used him too. I would choose something else from Conneally besides Freightliner. I just can't tolerate 598. Our experience with a Traveler 416 son out of a 598 daughter was not good. Hard fleshing and BIG. Nothing like 416's. We used him until he got so big and narrow. We were going to pound him out and a neighbor begged us to let him buy him as he was in a wreck and needed a bull bad, so we did. On that grass, the bull fell totally apart. The heifers we kept out of him were tall, narrow and hard doing. We got rid of all of them. In talking to the bull breeder we got him from, he confirmed the problem was 598. They had several daughters they got rid of because of the same thing. So there might be a little heads up on Freightliner. The Frontlines are supposedly good, as are the Datelines and Timelines. In our area, I hear resistance to Freightliner. If I had what you have, I would look into OCC Emblazon and stay away from anything with 598's. FWIW~

I had bought a son of him in 98 and have close to 50 daughters of that bull I bought him at the Flying W Ranch Peqout Lakes Mn.

Today I went to WR Bar Ranch sale I bought 2 bulls one is a grandson of GD60 maternal grand sire is Marriot also bought 4 heifers 3 are granddaughters of GD60 went to watch the sale and spent quite a little cash my wife was'nt pleased but I have smoothed it over now..

WR BAR Ranch, that is the breeders of Marriot, is that right?

I saw that bull in the flesh also. He was pretty impressive. I have noticed our heifers that go back to Marriot have a problem in shedding their hair. They are always the last to shed. I have wondered if that is because he has so much hair. Hair is a desired thing here in the cold winters, but I sure don't like them hanging on to it in the spring like they seem to do.

Can you shed any light on that for me?

There is someone in Montana with GD60 cattle and the people we buy our bulls from are going to see them about breeding as close to GD60 as possible. I'm all for it!!!

Faster horses said:
WR BAR Ranch, that is the breeders of Marriot, is that right?

I saw that bull in the flesh also. He was pretty impressive. I have noticed our heifers that go back to Marriot have a problem in shedding their hair. They are always the last to shed. I have wondered if that is because he has so much hair. Hair is a desired thing here in the cold winters, but I sure don't like them hanging on to it in the spring like they seem to do.

Can you shed any light on that for me?

There is someone in Montana with GD60 cattle and the people we buy our bulls from are going to see them about breeding as close to GD60 as possible. I'm all for it!!!

Yes they are the Breeders of Marriot.The marriot daughters I have seem to have alot of hair even in the summer as you have noticed.A friend of mine has a dirct son of GD60. I know a fellow with 3 straws of gd60 but there not for sale I have tried to buy them..one of these heifers i bought has gd60 and 6807 on her papers I have a dozen straws of bushwacker that i am going to use on my heifers.I used him last year only 2 straws I got 2 heifer calves they look pretty good so far.I ve got 6 bulls for sale now but none have Viking in them..

I found the place in Montana that is using GD60 genetics. It is Saddle Butte Ranch, Harrison O'Connor. Geyser, MT.

The ad reads " Octoraro Delia 603 is a good example of our program. Her pedigree reads 6807 x Shoshone Intent x Viking x Emulation 31. Her calf by Carpenter of Wickwire brings foundation Scottish bloodlines to the mix. Carpenter is a son of Prince of Malpas, the bull Wye Plantantion used to start their herd.

Octoraro Viking, Fabron of Wye, F0203, Emulation 31, Bax Elite, 6807, Pied Piper, Echo, Carpenter of Wickwire (son of Prince of Malpas), and Cameron of Wickwire.

The program is now at the point where daughters of these great. proven maternal sires are all about to come into production. Half the herd was time-bred to Octoraro Viking 527 and then turned out with three other Viking GD60 sons.

We have gone our own way concentrating exclusively upon maternal function. Come see goodness in the making."

You may be right about my raising dwarfs, however some of us don't have to challenge a heifer to get good production. I just believe the EPD's should be closer in reality than what they turned out to be. :lol:

Kate/wy said:
You may be right about my raising dwarfs, however some of us don't have to challenge a heifer to get good production. I just believe the EPD's should be closer in reality than what they turned out to be. :lol:

Kate , that was a Charolais guy talking, The only thing they think of is size. As we get older these trouble free cows are much nicer to raise. My back can't take carring around those big Char calves trying to get them to suck. Much rather have those bouncy little black calves still wet trying to suck.

Faster horses said:

Interesting about the Image Maker son-- I'd heard his heifers were looking good....I see he was one of the top sellers at the Performance Breeders sale ( which doesn't mean anything)...I looked and see where AAA does give him a low efficiency rating... some of the bulls I was looking at this spring that were already sold were sons of his grandfather R R Hero 6727.....who has a pretty good efficiency rating...Just like me to find what I like two generations ago.......

Many of the cattle promoted now days have made there mark in the show world not the real world.I've got a little viking bred cow ugliest thing you'll ever see maybe weighs 1000#s her heifer calf weighed of her last fall at 695#s she has a bull calf this year so we will see how he does.

ugly produces. I've had several small cows that can out perform some of my larger cows. I love them little girlies.

Latest posts