• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

akbash pyreness pup

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
Sunrise this morning before going to feed the pup.
PIC_0018.jpg

PIC_0009.jpg

PIC_0027.jpg

New pup in bonding pen with ewe lambs.
PIC_0043.jpg

Excited about breakfast.
PIC_0061.jpg

PIC_0110.jpg

PIC_0096.jpg

Hopefully she grows into an effective predator controller. :)

Adorable! I don't know much about the breed...but I do hope she grows up to be a great dog...if not..she's still cute enuff to keep!

Jassy the Akbash originated in Turkey as a livestock gaurdian dog and has been used successfully in North America as such, they have a reputation for being fearless. The pup is already showing interest in the sheep, I am going to put a calf in with them when we wean and hope to try some multi species grazing.

FH, thanks yes it was a spectacular sunrise, glad you enjoyed the photos! :D

Wow, that is one of the best sunrise pictures ever!!! Good job :)

So with those kind of guard dogs...do you pretty much leave them alone, or can you pet/play with them? Like Jassy I don't know too much about them. Have seen a few but don't know much how the work.

Nicky said:
Wow, that is one of the best sunrise pictures ever!!! Good job :)

So with those kind of guard dogs...do you pretty much leave them alone, or can you pet/play with them? Like Jassy I don't know too much about them. Have seen a few but don't know much how the work.

Nicky the critical thing with these guardian dogs is that their primary post weaning bond is with the stock then secondarily with the handler. So a couple of minutes a day of positive interaction with people and the remaining time with the stock. You want just enough of a bond with the dog that they trust you to be touched and a few basic commands and that is it.

Those dogs are smart enough to resist letting you teach them more than a few basic commands. What predators are you protecting them from? Anything other than coyotes?

Per, Coyotes are really my only concern, but a couple of days ago their was a claim of a wolf sighting just 8 to 10 miles away, I am skeptical though. Their have been sightings of wolves in the Neutral Hills and south around Patricia so I guess it may not be entirely out of the realm of possibility! Time will tell.

I was talking to some cattlemen who run cattle west of the 22 and they have had significant death loss and ADG loss on their yearlings this year that they attribute to wolves, doesn't sound like a problem I want to be acquainted with. :shock: :???:

Ya, our ranch is west of 22 but we have not had any issues yet this year. There are 3 known packs from west of Turner Valley south to Pincher Creek. They have caused some real havoc in the Bobs Creek area. I have a friend that presold yearlings a month and a half ago to move out 2 weeks ago. On move out day he was still missing 140 head after a two week round up in different ranges that weren't his allotment. I talked to him the other day and he is still missing 40 head. Some for sure will be wolf feed and the rest will show up somewhere eventually. Cattle that are harassed by wolves don't tend to gain well. I hope they avoid me this year, at least my calves are weaned and at home now.

Boy I would have hard time only spending a few minutes a day with it! Wolves are getting close here, we haven't seen one but there is a pack not too far away (as the crow flies...or the wolf travels :???: ) that is causing havoc with the cattle in that area. Sure don't want to deal with that problem. We are out five calves and 3 cows as it is...

They'd eat him more than likely-my friends run around 300 ewes up on the river and have wolves in the yard-they shot a big black one in the stackyard one day- but haven't suffered too many losees from them. They run guard dogs so maybe they help some. They seem to bother yearlings more up here in the open country in late summer-pups are getting trained I suppose. They are a funny animal you can run amongst them for years with no trouble then have a real jackpot of a year. Where Ty rides he said a big wolf was right up by headquarters the other day-track the size of his hand.

Nicky said:
Another question - how would a guard dog do with wolves?

Just depends, there are outfits that have had success with dogs when it comes to wolves and those that haven't, if you were going up against wolves I would outfit my dogs with this kind of collar.

Might help a little, you would probably want more than 1 dog also.

How ironic that this breed of dog is on these posts...we have 2 gals here this weekend from North Dakota and they raise sheep and have this pyrnees gaurd dog..and they told me the same thing, their dog lives with the sheep year around, they don't mess with him at all..just take food out to him. They haven't had any problems with preditors and it just amazes me that the dog NEVER leaves the sheep, he just goes from pasture to pasture with them. The gals said their dad also has a donkey and a llma out with the sheep. The llama will kick a coyote then lay on it to smother it...I didn't know that either...Very educational weekend for me!

I saw my Pyreness bitch kill a coyote right in front of me once. The yote got in under a willow and she drug him out and in about ten seconds her and her pup had him dead.

I was amazed at the speed and strength of our Pyrenees. I would have expected the strength more than the agility from a dog that big.She got a cat or two around here and it was over before I could say boo.

As gentle as she was with friendlys, she was not a dog to mess with, for sure. She never hurt anyone, but people sure backed off when she sat up and silently stared at them . . . :lol:

Our former neighbors had a Komondor male with their sheep. I was their to butcher some lambs once and Mrs. needed help to get them sorted off the rest of the flock.
Neither of us thought of the dog until a lamb she wanted tried to get by me and I hooked my arm under it's neck. "Serious", as that was how he took his job, had my upper arm in his mouth instantly. Never broke any skin, just enough grip to let me know that I was messing with HIS sheep.
Neither the dog or I moved until Mrs. got a lead on him and tied him up.

gcreekrch said:
Our former neighbors had a Komondor male with their sheep. I was their to butcher some lambs once and Mrs. needed help to get them sorted off the rest of the flock.
Neither of us thought of the dog until a lamb she wanted tried to get by me and I hooked my arm under it's neck. "Serious", as that was how he took his job, had my upper arm in his mouth instantly. Never broke any skin, just enough grip to let me know that I was messing with HIS sheep.
Neither the dog or I moved until Mrs. got a lead on him and tied him up.

That was a little exciting I bet, nice of the dog not to actually! :D :D

Did he sport the long dreadlocks the breed is known for?

Latest posts