• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Alabama and his Peanuts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
I went by Alabama's house today and returned a good angus bull that he generously loaned me to breed some angus heifers.

He and his girlfriend had been pulling truckloads of peanut vines and nuts, bringing them to the shade tree and pulling the green nuts for boiling, freezing, etc.
They were filling five gallon buckets with peanuts and throwing the vines over the fence for the cows.

I went back in time a few years today and enjoyed it. Not many people do these kinds of things today. Not enough time. :???:

Mike said:
I went by Alabama's house today and returned a good angus bull that he generously loaned me to breed some angus heifers.

He and his girlfriend had been pulling truckloads of peanut vines and nuts, bringing them to the shade tree and pulling the green nuts for boiling, freezing, etc.
They were filling five gallon buckets with peanuts and throwing the vines over the fence for the cows.

I went back in time a few years today and enjoyed it. Not many people do these kinds of things today. Not enough time. :???:

You bring up an interesting point, all stated in the last row of question marks. Do we really not have enough time? Or is it lack of forethought? Or is it a lack of desire? Or is it that we have so many choices today of how to spend time? Have you ever done a llittle time study on how much is spent before the computer? I'm afraid to :? :!: :wink: :roll:

We don't have time either, but growing your own is the only way to get fresh boiled goobers anymore. Peanuts are now days harvested by plowing and allowed to dry inverted in the field. They are then picked by some sort of peanut combine and further dried in wagons before being sold. A dried peanut just don't make a boiled goober worth eating. So we grow our own because we like goobers.
You know growing peanuts ain't much trouble. I run the disk over the ground and spray a little "Trefland" (sp). It just takes a minute to dump some seed in the planter with some fertilizer and plant with the tractor. Then just wait 3 months and pull em up. Well I did run the cultivator through them a time or two. You can pull a truckload in about 15 minutes then you have a good excuse to sit on your ass under the shade with a tall glass of ice with a little tea in it and pick em off. So when it is all said and done it is more sittin, tea drinkin and gossipin than work and they sure eat good in December watchin them Auburn tigers kick butt in the SEC championship.

Alabama said:
We don't have time either, but growing your own is the only way to get fresh boiled goobers anymore. Peanuts are now days harvested by plowing and allowed to dry inverted in the field. They are then picked by some sort of peanut combine and further dried in wagons before being sold. A dried peanut just don't make a boiled goober worth eating. So we grow our own because we like goobers.
You know growing peanuts ain't much trouble. I run the disk over the ground and spray a little "Trefland" (sp). It just takes a minute to dump some seed in the planter with some fertilizer and plant with the tractor. Then just wait 3 months and pull em up. Well I did run the cultivator through them a time or two. You can pull a truckload in about 15 minutes then you have a good excuse to sit on your ass under the shade with a tall glass of ice with a little tea in it and pick em off. So when it is all said and done it is more sittin, tea drinkin and gossipin than work and they sure eat good in December watchin them Auburn tigers kick butt in the SEC championship.

3 months is a long time taking up room but I'd like to try growing a few peanuts just to learn what they're like sometime if space permitted. Let's see, I haven't planted on the roof yet... think they'd grow hanging from a windowbox? :!:

I only plant a small patch. Eight rows on 36-inch centers 250 feet long. No N required just plenty of P and K. You should be able to grow 5 gallons in a patch about 10 by 20.
Or you could just stop by my place and pull up a load and rest in the shade with us. I planted way more than I needed in case it gets dry and I have a small yield. We had a very wet year so I have called several friends to pull a load. I am planting brown top behind it as well as the rest of the garden. I thought my girlfriend was going to explode when she saw me turn the tractor down through her butter bean rows she was picking. Twenty-two rows 250 feet long of butter beans and she weeded them by hand. I just went over them with the spreader and some brown top yesterday so I will have a late season cover when I bush hog em.

Alabama said:
I only plant a small patch. Eight rows on 36-inch centers 250 feet long. No N required just plenty of P and K. You should be able to grow 5 gallons in a patch about 10 by 20.
Or you could just stop by my place and pull up a load and rest in the shade with us. I planted way more than I needed in case it gets dry and I have a small yield. We had a very wet year so I have called several friends to pull a load. I am planting brown top behind it as well as the rest of the garden. I thought my girlfriend was going to explode when she saw me turn the tractor down through her butter bean rows she was picking. Twenty-two rows 250 feet long of butter beans and she weeded them by hand. I just went over them with the spreader and some brown top yesterday so I will have a late season cover when I bush hog em.
How deep does the soil have to be loosened and how many hrs of sunlight? Bet its full sun, isn't it? :(
I bet your girl was upset after handweeding those rows! You must like living on the thin edge, 'Bama. :lol:

Latest posts