• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Alan Geubert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Clarence

Reaction score
I just read an artical by Geubert in the Lincoln Journal Star.
I am not a fan of Geubert but the headlines caught my attention. He may have just hit the nail on the head.

You Canadians allway accuse us US producers of not keeping our word. We never agreed to step aside and give a part of our domestic market to outsiders. (I won't take any part in argueing the merits for or against this; to many unproven facts). The trade decesions were made by people above us, and by those who have more clout, and mostly over our objections. Now I never agreed with R-Calf, mostly because the means they are useing will acomplish little if anything. On the other hand, when you think about it, this is the reason so many US producers support them, and refuse to look at the ugly side of their face

Clarence said:
I am not a fan of Geubert but the headlines caught my attention. He may have just hit the nail on the head.

I'm with you Clarence b ut I don't know if he hit the nail on the head but he is sure talking out of the other side of his mouth!

Clarence said:

You Canadians allway accuse us US producers of not keeping our word. We never agreed to step aside and give a part of our domestic market to outsiders. (I won't take any part in argueing the merits for or against this; to many unproven facts). The trade decesions were made by people above us, and by those who have more clout, and mostly over our objections. Now I never agreed with R-Calf, mostly because the means they are useing will acomplish little if anything. On the other hand, when you think about it, this is the reason so many US producers support them, and refuse to look at the ugly side of their face

We have heard many times that the Canadian beef industry is being treated this way because Canada didn't side with the U.S. in the war on Iraq and Canada didn't agree with the U.S. on missile defence. Do you think Canadian ranchers agreed with those decisions made by the people with clout? Do you think we will have to pay the price for those decisions? We didn't elect those people with clout the urban people did and their is little we can do about some of the decisions they make. Trying to destroy the Canadian cattle industry and ranchers that make their living in that indusrty just so you can get back for decisions our government made is not right. I realize that you may not have agreed with the decisions that your government made on your behalf but like us you may have to live with them.

You said it Tam. I look at like kicking a little crippled child because you don't like what his dad did to you.

I do not see it as a screw you for not siding with us in the war.....we are AMERICA for Pete's sake! we don't need help kickin' butt, we invented it.

I like the border closed, I would like to see the southern one closed as well. I would like to see the USA become more isolationist and let the people back in control of the govt. I would like to see the American companies suffer after going to South America and cutting the throat of American Agriculture. I would like to see less concrete and more trees, I would like to see Green Peace, PETA, and the Nature Conservancy all force fed meat while wearing fur coats and breaking sod for farm ground. I want new episodes of "the Dukes of Hazzard", I want more twins and less breach births, I want NCBA to fold and R-calf to mellow out. I want my wife to act more like she did on our honeymoon.

my point is, crap in one hand and want in the other..........the courts will have that border shut for a long time. want it open???? shoot one liberal and two lawyers for every cow you own.......then it may open up sooner.

I don't much like to get into this discussion but I must relate that now what is being said in the US is that our fuel prices are high because Canada is mad over the border closure and won't send us any fuel from up there.

Whether either your story or mine is true or not, it speaks of spitefulness. I never did know anyone who won much of anything by cutting off their nose to spite their face.

We, as US producers, are in the same boat as Canada producers in having to live with decisions made that are out of our control. It stinks for all of us. But the 'blame game' is not the game winners play.

But the 'blame game' is not the game winners play.

Do you really think oil companies that work in Canada care about the beef indusrty enough to cut supplies to their largest customer? I happen to live close to a 24 hour port and the only thing I have noticed is an increase in fuel trucks. I was talking to one U.S. trucker that said the pipe line he unloads into can't handle the extra that is being shipped into the U.S. right now. So blaming Canada for your fuel prices because we are mad about the border being closed is bull.

If you think it was a Canadian that said we are being punished for not supporting the US war efforts you are wrong. I have repeatedly heard it from one of the writers from Cow Calf weekly

It has been all over the U.S. News that the Canadian Government is being punished because of the Missile defence.

And even though the US producers don't want to admit to the situation that over one hundred years of mutually trading livestock with Canada has caused they are blameing Canada for their lost export markets.

jigs said:
shoot one liberal and two lawyers for every cow you own.......then it may open up sooner.

Be careful now, you might get knicked. Don't think the isolationist thing is a good deal.

Faster horses said:
I don't much like to get into this discussion but I must relate that now what is being said in the US is that our fuel prices are high because Canada is mad over the border closure and won't send us any fuel from up there.

Kinda of reminds me of South Parks ..Blame Canada song that my kids showed me.. :lol:

Please don't take my post out of context. I did not say I believed it, nor that it was true. I was trying to make a point that no one wins in a "blame game."

Tam, I will certainly pass along what you posted to the person who made the remark. Thanks for letting me know. I agree that no oil company cares enough about the cattle industry to even enter the playing field, let alone get in the game.

just to let you good folks down south know that most of the big oil companys in canada are owned by americians. So it is not canadians slowing the flow ( which i doubt is happining anyways) but the big US companys.

les: just to let you good folks down south know that most of the big oil companys in canada are owned by americians.

that's right but now that china is buying into the canadian oil patch it might slow the flow a little. but then you can try to intimidate china. lol.

Tam:

We are not trying to destroy the Canadian beef industry. We are importing more dressed beef from Canada today than we did in 2002. This beef is raised, fed, and processed in Canada. This benifits your country's economy.

WE, the US producer, has fought and worked for our markets. You have to do more than voice your concerns to work for your markets too. We do not owe you a market.

You have had 3 cases of BSE, we have had one, that was originaly from Canada. You (we) have never found the source. I don't know if anyone is even looking for it. Just ignore it, maybe it will go away. But what if it doesn't just go away?

Even though some may ave mentioned it, the missle defence system and the war in Iraq has nothing to do with the beef thing. Every country has their own opinions an that and has a right to these opinions and how they might effect their people. Canada has nothing to do with fuel prices, Crude prices in the Middle East has raised these costs. We are all just trying to compete here, and are useing what ever means we have to do so.

Trade balances are difficult to understand, and difficult to try to be fair. What you export to us puts US dollars in your economy, what we export to you put your dollars in our economy. When all is said and done some are gainers, some losers.

Let's face the facts, the problem is BSE, not what the US cattle producers think or say. It is not just the US it is the world over. Don't forget we have lost the Japanese and other world markets. To get them back we need some good sound reasoning, just opening the border to you will do nothing.

Well, if it helps you at all, I saw a poll today showing that our current Liberal government is way down in popularity and a big part of that is their lack of good relations with the US as well as quite a bit of internal corruption.

We are not trying to destroy the Canadian beef industry. We are importing more dressed beef from Canada today than we did in 2002. This beef is raised, fed, and processed in Canada. This benifits your country's economy.
You say you are not trying to destroy the Canadian beef industry but your consumers are being told daily that our beef is unsafe and a risk to their health by a US beef organization, your Senate, and a US Federal Court Judge. Just what do you think that is doing to consumer confidence in our product? You say you import more now than you did in 2002 but according to what we hear R-CALF is trying to get the UTM boxed beef shut down too. What do you think that will do to the World market of UTM beef if the US say ours is not safe to eat. Will the rest of the WORLD still think UTM meat is safe, even yours, if we are ban from exporting it to the US.
WE, the US producer, has fought and worked for our markets. You have to do more than voice your concerns to work for your markets too. We do not owe you a market.
And if it wasn't for the beef you have imported from Canada over the years where do you think you would have got the beef to supply those markets? Clarence the US does not produce enough to cover their own domestic markets and that was proved by the 22% increase in imports to cover the domestic demand while you had 83% less export markets.
If you do not import you will not be able to compete with anyone in the World market. You say you don't owe us a market but Clarence you NEED OUR BEEF to supply your markets.

You have had 3 cases of BSE, we have had one, that was originaly from Canada. You (we) have never found the source. I don't know if anyone is even looking for it. Just ignore it, maybe it will go away. But what if it doesn't just go away?
According to the completed investigation done by the CFIA all four cows were fed pre feed ban feed that was contaminated by the remains of a UK cow so why do you keep saying we never found the source and that we are ingoring it. The testing that Canada is doing is more likely to find any more cases. It looks to me as if the US isn't look and ignoring and hoping it will just go away. But what if it doesn't just go away Clarence?

Even though some may ave mentioned it, the missle defence system and the war in Iraq has nothing to do with the beef thing. Every country has their own opinions an that and has a right to these opinions and how they might effect their people. Canada has nothing to do with fuel prices, Crude prices in the Middle East has raised these costs.
Again these are things the US is saying not Canada.

We are all just trying to compete here, and are useing what ever means we have to do so
Yes and that is all we want to do to but it is just to bad that a U.S. beef organization thinks that what ever means means lieing about the safety of our product and you think that is just fine as long as you recieve your calf check. Do you really want to compete or do you want to keep Canadian beef out so you don't have to compete.

Trade balances are difficult to understand, and difficult to try to be fair. What you export to us puts US dollars in your economy, what we export to you put your dollars in our economy. When all is said and done some are gainers, some losers.
Yes I agree but you are the ones that want to isolate the US and cut out the beneficial trade we both once had.

Let's face the facts, the problem is BSE, not what the US cattle producers think or say. It is not just the US it is the world over. Don't forget we have lost the Japanese and other world markets. To get them back we need some good sound reasoning, just opening the border to you will do nothing.
Yes you do need to do some sound reasoning to get back into your export market. Do you think putting the science that the rest of the WORLD believes is protecting them from BSE on trial to be ruled on by one MONTANA judge is a smart move. This Judge was put in his seat by the nomination from two anti Canadian trade supporting Senators. Why don't you leave that judgement up to the expert scienists that have been studing the disease for over 20 years? Or are you betting on the one judge being smarter than all the OIE experts that recommend safeguards for all countries to live by?

You know this oil thing is funny, one day it's the reason for going to war in Iraq, (which is total bunk, spewed by pacifists))

And then it's because Canada is cutting supply because of the closure of the border to Beef. Meanwhile we as Canadians are paying more for gas than US citizens.

It used to be the "name game", I agree, it now seems to be the "blame game"

Latest posts