• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Alanta just can't go with the flow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The mayors of the cities and the governor of Georgia are taking flack because they weren't prepared and didn't handle the situation properly. Had they shut things down, and the storm didn't materialize, they would have also taken flack. Any resident of Georgia could have watched the same weather report that the mayors and governor had available, and they could have made their own decisions. Why do so many people have the "victim mentality" anymore? What is wrong with taking a little personal responsibility for watching the weather themselves, and then making personal judgment decisions?

Back when our kids were in school, one school principal would often call me first thing on any stormy morning. We were about the furthest to the northwest of any family in the district, so the weather usually hit us first before moving on twenty miles to affect the school. I felt like kind of a big shot :roll: , because the principal would sometimes let me make the decision on whether or not to hold school. This was kind of a big responsibility, because I was never even a member of the school board. :wink: :)

Our kids always left in the dark in the winter. many times they broke trail for the Hiway Dept. snowplow. :? I don't miss those days, don't know who worried more on bad weather days, Tammy or the little Australian Shepard that lived in the house with us. She would sit at the window waiting for the bus to get home. When they did get storm stayed in town the poor dog paced between their bedrooms all night.

Our state road and county roads have a sign stating they only get winter maintenance from 10am to 6pm mon-thursday. :???: Really helpful when the bus leaves to take kids to high school at 6:30 am. :mad: Buts its only 45 miles, right? :roll:

I am amazed how some many folks do not prepare for ANYTHING! They arent ready for cold, heat, snow, floods or any natural or man-made disaster. I am thankful to live and have been raised where if you don't or can't do it yourself, waiting for the government isnt much of an option. I value that self-reliance and independence. Most folks in big cities have lost that. MOST. And it's funny how people used to degrade "Preppers" as fringe freaks and now tv and social media is full of preperation and survival stuff. :D They should'a met my Grand-dad!

leanin' H said:
Our state road and county roads have a sign stating they only get winter maintenance from 10am to 6pm mon-thursday. :???: Really helpful when the bus leaves to take kids to high school at 6:30 am. :mad: Buts its only 45 miles, right? :roll:

I am amazed how some many folks do not prepare for ANYTHING! They arent ready for cold, heat, snow, floods or any natural or man-made disaster. I am thankful to live and have been raised where if you don't or can't do it yourself, waiting for the government isnt much of an option. I value that self-reliance and independence. Most folks in big cities have lost that. MOST. And it's funny how people used to degrade "Preppers" as fringe freaks and now tv and social media is full of preperation and survival stuff. :D They should'a met my Grand-dad!

And mine.......

Well said, 'H. :tiphat:

I am amazed how some many folks do not prepare for ANYTHING! They arent ready for cold, heat, snow, floods or any natural or man-made disaster. I am thankful to live and have been raised where if you don't or can't do it yourself, waiting for the government isnt much of an option. I value that self-reliance and independence. Most folks in big cities have lost that. MOST. And it's funny how people used to degrade "Preppers" as fringe freaks and now tv and social media is full of preperation and survival stuff. They should'a met my Grand-dad!

Not sure about you H but I was in High School in 1984 and people were talking about the book. Some thought George Orwell to be a modern day prophet. Little did they know that the big brother they were so scared of would come from the grassroots of their grandchildren demanding someone to look after them.

Latest posts