• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Alberta cow tests positive for mad cow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

frenchie said:
-

I think I was asking you if I spelled se la vi (that is life) in french, frenchie. That is all. I am not up on my french spelling and I thought you might know enough french to answer. You might not even be french. I know my cajun friends are too far gone from the mother tounge to know the answer.

the following you quoted as from me is not my statement econ.101...It is Mikes

.I take back my last post :roll: :roll: Although Tam's post was very reasonable in tone and content, it wasn't entirely factual BUT I assume they put it in place in response to their 1993 case and I say good for them

I think I was asking you if I spelled se la vi (that is life) in french, frenchie. That is all. I am not up on my french spelling and I thought you might know enough french to answer. You might not even be french. I know my cajun friends are too far gone from the mother tounge to know the answer. Sorry if I got anything mixed up. I didn't mean any harm.

I fixed it. Thanks for the heads up. Everyone makes mistakes. The people who don't correct them are the ones in trouble.

Tam said:
Econ101 said:
frenchie said:
I take back my last post :roll: :roll: Although Tam's post was very reasonable in tone and content, it wasn't entirely factual BUT I assume they put it in place in response to their 1993 case and I say good for them.

Which happened to be a imported cow from The U.K

The key here was to take quick action on eliminating a health threat to the cattle population. It should not have been so dramatized or even tried to be covered up (as it seems the U.S. is trying to do with their control over the BSE tests).
In early 1994, Agriculture Canada officials rounded up the remaining British imports, then slaughtered, tested and incinerated them. The same was done to the offspring of the infected Red Deer cow, along with other cows from the Red Deer herd. A storm of protest blew up, mainly from Canadian ranchers who owned prized British breeding cattle. Their bulls were worth $40,000 to $50,000, but the Canadian government had placed a maximum $2,500 payout for any lost animal. Some ranchers resisted. In Morinville, Agriculture Canada officials had to raid a farm at dawn in September 1994 to truck away a purebred Charolais bull which was under a death sentence. "They've proved to me they're dictators," the bull owner, Walter Jerram, said than of Agriculture Canada. I'm not going to put up with what they did. I've never been screwed like this before in my life." " It was not a happy time, Willis now says. "We were accused of being a little draconian in our approach. The charges were obviously troublesome. We felt we were taking the responible action to the best of our knowledge. We knew it was causing hardship." No further cases of BSE were found in the Red Deer herd or in any of the slaughtered imports. Canadian cattlemen could breathe again. Canada's BSE-free status was intact. "the belief was that we had one animal, that's all," Willis says. At the time, Willis himself believe that his department had been pushed to take overzealous action. "Actions were taken out of sheer paranoia with people significantly hyped by the media, he told the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association's convention in 1996. "We took actions that went way beyond ones that were scientifically justified"
Who covered up anything in Canada we have been up front about BSE and as I can see The CFIA did what they thought was needed even under protest of the industry which kept our BSE FREE STATUS INTACT until May 2003 Maybe you would like to discuss this without bringing in the Pickett case and the Captive Supply destroying our markets.[/quote]

Tam, now I really don't understand Canada. Why would Canada pay Tyson and Cargill big money and skimp on Cattlemen? They should have at least paid what the cattleman's cost in the animal was. If they get these economics wrong, cattlemen are liable to hide some of those investments in those bulls. You always have to get the economics right or you pay for it later.

Tam, maybe you could ask Jason if he imported any cattle around that time. Royalty often gets around things common folk can't.

Most governments have set rates for compensation when something like this happens. Maybe it didn't keep up with the cattle market. When the exotics came to North America prices we had never see became more common.

rkaiser said:
So, cowsense, has the U.S. followed the OIE guidelines and tested the numbers of 4D cattle set out for a country with a domestic case of BSE?

Love that "Opinion Only" thing cowsense. BSE is full of opinion. What is yours? Does it follow the opinion of others concerning feed transmission?

Not looking for a fight; just always interesting when folks with names like "cowsense" like to use my whole name "RANDY KAISER" when pointing out my inability to follow the FACTS.

Hey Kaiser!

It just shows you have the gonads to stand up and speak your piece.

Right, wrong or indifferent - gotta' respect that.

B.C.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Most governments have set rates for compensation when something like this happens. Maybe it didn't keep up with the cattle market. When the exotics came to North America prices we had never see became more common.

Couple of million on the front end might have been a better return on investment.

The compensation for condemed cattle. That is cattle condemned from a Reportable disease has been going on for a long time. Even back in the '53 Foot and mouth outbreak. Econ you should work for the government or something because you have incredible HIND SIGHT. :cowboy: Looking back you could correct most of the worlds problems.

Big Muddy rancher said:
The compensation for condemed cattle. That is cattle condemned from a Reportable disease has been going on for a long time. Even back in the '53 Foot and mouth outbreak. Econ you should work for the government or something because you have incredible HIND SIGHT. :cowboy: Looking back you could correct most of the worlds problems.

There is a heck of a difference between regular cattle on the range and the high dollar cattle you were talking about. Keeping good economic sense on solving problems usually prevents bigger ones later. Every problem should be looked at with an eye to economics. Economics rules the world (that and a little love).

Econ101 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

There is a heck of a difference between regular cattle on the range and the high dollar cattle you were talking about. Keeping good economic sense on solving problems usually prevents bigger ones later. Every problem should be looked at with an eye to economics. Economics rules the world (that and a little love).

That's why high dollar cattle should be insured.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Econ101 said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

That's why high dollar cattle should be insured.
Insurance doesn't pay for this. None of them do.
Here's what my policy says:

"This policy does not cover death direct or indirectly caused by happening through or in consequence of any confiscation or nationalization or requisition or destruction or quarantine of any animal or animals having contracted or been exposed to any conditions or communicable diseases whether by order of any Government or public or local authority of any person or body having jurisdiction."

Hi Reader the Second. I thought I was fairly clear when I mentioned "Feed." I also used the term "feed" in the sentence regarding food ban and so on. I never mentioned human food chain - only feed and feed ban. It was odd that they would continue to reference the fact that none of the animal made it into the animal feed and this disturbs me inthat there are two known companies in Northern Alberta that openly stated last year at a ranchers meeting that they still use animal protein taken from ruminants and literally everyone at that meeting heard them admit it. Strange that the ban "appears" to be working and yet the BSE cluster is located in the same area. Go figure. I also heard that a Montana judge is now reviewing the R-Calf application recently submitted and that this latest case of BSE would only strengthen their thrust. Any thoughts on this?

The key here was to take quick action on eliminating a health threat to the cattle population. It should not have been so dramatized or even tried to be covered up (as it seems the U.S. is trying to do with their control over the BSE tests).
Quote:
In early 1994, Agriculture Canada officials rounded up the remaining British imports, then slaughtered, tested and incinerated them. The same was done to the offspring of the infected Red Deer cow, along with other cows from the Red Deer herd. A storm of protest blew up, mainly from Canadian ranchers who owned prized British breeding cattle. Their bulls were worth $40,000 to $50,000, but the Canadian government had placed a maximum $2,500 payout for any lost animal. Some ranchers resisted. In Morinville, Agriculture Canada officials had to raid a farm at dawn in September 1994 to truck away a purebred Charolais bull which was under a death sentence. "They've proved to me they're dictators," the bull owner, Walter Jerram, said than of Agriculture Canada. I'm not going to put up with what they did. I've never been screwed like this before in my life." " It was not a happy time, Willis now says. "We were accused of being a little draconian in our approach. The charges were obviously troublesome. We felt we were taking the responible action to the best of our knowledge. We knew it was causing hardship." No further cases of BSE were found in the Red Deer herd or in any of the slaughtered imports. Canadian cattlemen could breathe again. Canada's BSE-free status was intact. "the belief was that we had one animal, that's all," Willis says. At the time, Willis himself believe that his department had been pushed to take overzealous action. "Actions were taken out of sheer paranoia with people significantly hyped by the media, he told the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association's convention in 1996. "We took actions that went way beyond ones that were scientifically justified"
Who covered up anything in Canada we have been up front about BSE and as I can see The CFIA did what they thought was needed even under protest of the industry which kept our BSE FREE STATUS INTACT until May 2003 Maybe you would like to discuss this without bringing in the Pickett case and the Captive Supply destroying our markets.[/quote]

So why is it that between 12 and 16 animals of the original number were and still are not accounted for??? They simply disappeared and were then subject to being erased from the leger. one could ask those questions to the CFIA and see how far you would get. Red tape and smokey mirrors can hide an awful lot of facts these days.

for you folks quoting the OIE guidelines on mathematical figures and numbers and bse testing.
all one has to do is look at all those countries that DID go by those OIE BSE guidelines, most
all, if not everyone, came down with BSE, while at the same time boasting exactly what you folks are boasting. FACT IS about the OIE;

Greetings,

SO, the already terribly flawed OIE BSE surveillance system is too burdensome for trade.
Aint that just too bad. SO, they decide to make it even weaker. The damn thing never worked
anyway. ALL one has to do is look at the documented BSE Countries that went by it. Did them
a lot of good.

TO think that a sample survey of 400 or so cattle in a population of 100 million, to think this will find anything, especially after seeing how many TSE tests it took Italy and other Countries to find 1 case of BSE (1 million rapid TSE test in less than 2 years, to find 102 BSE cases), should be proof enough to make drastic changes of this system. the OIE criteria for BSE Country classification and it's interpretation is very problematic. a text that is suppose to give guidelines, but is not understandable, cannot be considered satisfactory...

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/03n0312/03N-0312_emc-000001.txt

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-54550.html

THE OIE has now shown they are nothing more than a National Trading Brokerage for all strains of animal TSE.
AS i said before, OIE should hang up there jock strap now, since it appears they will buckle every time a country makes some political hay about trade protocol, commodities and futures. IF they are not going to be science based, they should do everyone a favor and dissolve there organization. With Science like this, Japan would be fully justified in declining to be a member. ...

Terry S. Singeltary Sr. P.O. BOX 42 Bacliff, TEXAS USA

a.. BSE OIE

#################### https://lists.aegee.org/bse-l.html ####################

C H A P T E R 2 . 3 . 1 3 .

BOVINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY

Article 2.3.13.1.

The recommendations in this Chapter are intended to manage the human and animal health risks

associated with the presence of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) agent in cattle (Bos taurus

and B. indicus) only.

1) When authorising import or transit of the following commodities and any products made from these

commodities and containing no other tissues from cattle, Veterinary Administrations should not

require any BSE related conditions, regardless of the BSE risk status of the cattle population of the

exporting country, zone or compartment:

snip...

2005 OIE Terrestrial Animal Health Code

http://www.oie.int/downld/SC/2005/bse_2005.pdf

TSS

READER 2ND WRITES;

>>The other thing about the feed ban loopholes is that it just takes one rancher using cheap pet food or hog food to thwart attempts to eradicate BSE. I just read that they have found another suspected case of BSE in the same herd (2 cows) in the UK. Second in a matter of months. So much for the "no cases of BSE in the same herd."<<<

INDEED, and funny thing is, i have not seen anything from maff/defra, but;

##################### Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy #####################

Subject: CATTLE QUARANTINED IN BSE OUTBREAK THREAT (Defra) imposed movement restrictions on the herd at two sites
Date: January 24, 2006 at 4:26 pm PST

CATTLE QUARANTINED IN BSE OUTBREAK THREAT

18:00 - 21 January 2006 A herd of dairy cattle from a farm near Cheddar has been quarantined after a suspected outbreak of BSE, more commonly known as mad cow disease.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) imposed movement restrictions on the herd at two sites, Draycott and Rodney Stoke, after two cows which had been slaughtered showed possible signs of BSE.

Further tests are now being carried out on the carcasses to establish whether or not the animals had the disease.

The outbreak was discovered after the cattle's owner, Bryan Churches, was banned from keeping cattle for three years after being convicted of causing pain and suffering to animals on his farm.

He was given three months to dispose of the cattle and it was while he was doing this signs of BSE were discovered.

Mr Churches, who farms at Bridge Farm, in Draycott, and Yew Tree Farm, in Rodney Stoke, had 36 cattle which didn't have cattle passports. These are needed so the source and history of the cattle can be traced and because of this, the 36 animals were slaughtered.

A spokesman for Defra said: "We can confirm that in order to comply with a court order which prevents him from keeping livestock, that needs to be complied with by January 23, Mr Churches removed 36 unpassported cattle from his farms.

"These were slaughtered and tested for BSE. Two animals showed possible signs of BSE. Further checks are required to check that these animals did in fact have the disease.

"Movement restrictions have now been applied to the remainder of the herd."

The cattle suspected of having BSE were born after a ban on the animal feed, thought to be the cause of the disease, was introduced in 1996.

Despite the ban, at the moment, there are around 200 suspected cases of BSE in the UK.

But, according to Defra, one possible explanation of cases which have occurred since the ban was introduced is that the infection may have lingered in feed stores.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=150476&command=displayContent&sourceNode=150471&contentPK=13870231&folderPk=84913

TSS

and before kathy brings up her op theory, she should first answer my question from previous postings;

Greetings Ranchers and board members,

Kathy wrote in another thread, but yet never documented;

> didn't say that OPs caused prion disease, but that they contributed greatly
> to the UK experience,

and again, could your please reference this materials with scientific data, instead
of hearsay please ???

you can argue the origin of TSE until all the mad cows on earth come home to roost.

i.e. ;

Phosmet induces up-regulation of surface levels of the cellular prion protein.
Neuroreport. 9(7):1391-1395, May 11, 1998.
Gordon, Irit 1; Abdulla, Elizabeth M. 1; Campbell, Iain C. 1; Whatley, Stephen A. 1,2
Abstract:
CHRONIC (2 day) exposure of human neuroblastoma cells to the organophosphate pesticide phosmet induced a marked concentration-dependent increase in the levels of PrP present on the cell surface as assessed by biotin labelling and immunoprecipitation. Levels of both phospholipase C (PIPLC)-releasable and non-releasable forms of PrP were increased on the plasma membrane. These increases appear to be due to post-transcriptional mechanisms, since PrP mRNA levels as assessed by Northern blotting were unaffected by phosmet treatment. These data raise the possibility that phosmet exposure could increase the susceptibility to the prion agent by altering the levels of accessible PrP.

(C) Lippincott-Raven Publishers.

http://www.neuroreport.com/pt/re/neuroreport/abstract.00001756-199805110-00026.htm;jsessionid=DOEcw0d3vPau1LEbPM42DrGrWVZnF06cF115hTGLe07ro2BZx8d3!586698740!-949856144!9001!-1

BUT, amplification and transmission is the most important factor in stopping the

spread of the TSE agent. WE have known for decades what factors involve the amplification

and transmission, yet the industries involved CHOSE to ignore this science until the incubation

period in humans and animals started to catch up with society.

would it not have been more easy and very much less expensive for MAFF/USDA et al to jump on the OP
bandwagon and save the industry, if OP theory had any credence to it at all? and why did they not?

transmission studies DO NOT LIE !

show me the data that ops are in all the primate/mouse transmission studies?

EUROPEAN COMMISSION
HEALTH & CONSUMER PROTECTION DIRECTORATE-GENERAL
Scientific Steering Committee
OPINION ON
ORGANOPHOSPHATE (OP) POISONING AND
HYPOTHETICAL INVOLVEMENT IN THE ORIGIN OF BSE
Background
In its opinion on possible links between BSE and Organophosphates adopted on 25-26 June
1998 and in its opinion on Hypotheses on the origin and transmission of BSE adopted on 29-
30 November 2001 the SSC concluded that there is no scientific evidence in support of the
hypothesis of an OP origin of BSE.
The issue of organophosphate poisoning has not been dealt with by the SSC so far. The
concerns expressed in the enquiries cover mainly intoxication by occupational exposure of
shepherds and farmers to OPs upon use against ecto-parasites, especially in sheep dipping and
treatment of cattle against Warble Fly infestation. Risks from residues are addressed to a
lesser extend.
In early 2003, a large number of additional enquiries on the issue have been addressed to
European Commission's Health and Consumer Directorate General. Four of these with
substantial enclosures were by one person. Most of them are addressing both issues: chronic
organophosphate (OP) poisoning and the origin of BSE.
Information provided with the enquiries
In addition to numerous newspaper and magazine articles the enclosures to the enquiries
provide the Material Safety Data Sheet on diazinon, the OHSA Occupational Safety and
Health Guideline for Tetraethylpyrophosphate (TEPP), an US agency Hazardous Substances
Fact Sheet on crufomate, company safety information sheets, some correspondence with UK
authorities including their activities to improve safe use of these chemicals. The information
regarding claimed OP chronic poisoning of cases presented does not provide evidence, neither
for OPs being the cause for diseases nor for their exclusion (i.e., "very low" bloodcholinesterase
levels, provided without data or comparison with the normal distribution of
values; successful treatment of a patient for OP clearance without giving any OP data). It
C:\WINNT\Temporary Internet Files\SSC_Last_OP_Final.doc 2
seems however, that due to insufficient, non-prudent use of the safety requirements undue
exposures of shepherds and farmers have occurred.
There is no additional information on the claimed involvement of OPs in the origin of BSE.
This applies for both, the hypotheses on the direct effect of OPs as well as on their
hypothetical role for Cu-deficiency to be involved in the origin of BSE (Cu binding of prion
protein is known). New publications are mentioned in one enquiry but they have not yet been
provided. In an Internet search no recent scientifically valid publications were traceable. The
SSC had been informed that research would be launched on this hypothesis, but no
information has been provided so far on its status or on results.
Conclusions
a) As regards the involvement of organophosphates in the origin of BSE, no new scientific
information providing evidence or supporting the hypothesis by valid data became
available after the adoption of the last opinion of the SSC on this issue. Consequently
there is no reason for modifying the existing opinions.
b) Regarding the possibility of OP poisoning, the European legislation for registration of
plant protection products and veterinary medicines – addressed in the enquiries – provide
the basis for safe use of registered compounds and their formulations. Regarding the
alleged intoxication cases reported and OP exposure it must be concluded that safety
measures may not have been strictly followed.
References
Brown, D.R., Qin, K., Herms, J.W., Madlung, A., Manson, J., Strome, R., Fraser, P.E., Kruck, T., von
Bohlen, A., Schulz- Schaeffer, W., Giese, A., Westaway, D. and Kretzschmar, H. (1997) The Cellular
Prion Protein Binds Copper In Vivo, Nature, 390, 684-7.
Purdey, M. (2000) Ecosystems Supporting Clusters of Sporadic TSEs Demonstrate Excesses of the Radical-
Generating Divalent Cation Manganese and Deficiencies of Antioxidant Co-Factors Cu, Se, Fe, Zn Medical
Hypotheses, 54, 278-306.
Scientific Steering Committee, 1998. Opinion on possible links between BSE and Organophosphates. Adopted
on 25-26 June 1998
Scientific Steering Committee, 2001. Opinion on Hypotheses on the origin and transmission of BSE. Adopted
on 29-30 November 2001.

http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/fs/sc/ssc/out356_en.pdf

Studies on the Putative Interactions between the Organophosphorus Insecticide Phosmet and Recombinant Mouse PrP and its Implication in the BSE Epidemic
I. Shaw1, C. Berry2, E. Lane1, P. Fitzmaurice1, D. Clarke3 and A. Holden1

(1) Centre for Toxicology, University of Central Lancashire, Preston, UK
(2) Department of Morbid Anatomy, The Royal London Hospital, London, UK
(3) CLRC Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, UK

Abstract It has been suggested that exposure of cattle to the ectoparasiticide Phosmet in the 1980s caused a conformational change in the cellular prion protein (PrPC) to form the BSE prion (PrPSC), which initiated the epidemic of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).
Recombinant mouse cellular prion (r[mouse]PrPC) was exposed to the organophosphorus pesticide Phosmet in vitro and the conformation of the prion before and after exposure was monitored using circular dichroism (CD) spectroscopy, utilizing synchrotron radiation at the Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils (CLRC) facilities at Daresbury, UK. Metabolites of Phosmet, generated in situ by rat microsomes, were investigated in the same way, to determine whether they might initiate the conformational change due to their high chemical reactivity.
Our studies showed that exposure of r[mouse]PrPC to Phosmet or microsomes-generated metabolites of Phosmet did not result in the conformational change in the protein from -helix to -pleated sheet that is characteristic of the PrPC to PrPSC conversion and, therefore, Phosmet is very unlikely to have initiated the BSE epidemic by a simple direct mechanism of conformational change in the prion protein.
bovine spongiform encephalopathy - circular dichroism spectroscopy - insecticide - organophosphate - Phosmet - prion - protein conformation

http://www.springerlink.com/(bmbpjj55ksv02p2wiismj555)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,3,9;journal,31,74;linkingpublicationresults,1:103009,1

transmission studies do not lie, amplification and transmission!

i see NO properties of high levels of Manganese in the diet, combined with low levels of copper, in any of these primate
transmission studies.

1: J Infect Dis 1980 Aug;142(2):205-8

Oral transmission of kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, and scrapie to
nonhuman primates.

Gibbs CJ Jr, Amyx HL, Bacote A, Masters CL, Gajdusek DC.

Kuru and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease of humans and scrapie disease of
sheep and goats were transmitted to squirrel monkeys (Saimiri
sciureus) that were exposed to the infectious agents only by their
nonforced consumption of known infectious tissues. The asymptomatic
incubation period in the one monkey exposed to the virus of kuru was
36 months; that in the two monkeys exposed to the virus of
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease was 23 and 27 months, respectively; and
that in the two monkeys exposed to the virus of scrapie was 25 and
32 months, respectively. Careful physical examination of the buccal
cavities of all of the monkeys failed to reveal signs or oral
lesions. One additional monkey similarly exposed to kuru has
remained asymptomatic during the 39 months that it has been under
observation.

PMID: 6997404

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=6997404&dopt=Abstract

Oral Transmission And Early Lymphoid Tropism Of Chronic Wasting Disease
Prpres In Mule Deer Fawns

Publication: Journal Of General Virology
Publication Request Approval Date: June 25, 1999

Interpretive Summary: Chronic wasting disease is a transmissible
spongiform encephalopathy or prion disease of deer and elk. CWD is a
member of the family of diseases that includes sheep scrapie and bovine
spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). The natural route of transmission of
these diseases in ruminant animals is unknown but oral exposure to
contaminated feeds, bedding, or tissues is presumed to be a major source
of infection. In this study, mule deer fawns were orally fed an
infectious homogenate and sacrificed at intervals to examine the
lymphoid tissue of the alimentary tract for signs of infection. Prion
protein was detected as early as 42 days and was evident in all fawns
after 53 days. This paper provides an improved procedure for detecting
prions in early infection, establishes a protocol for accelerated study
of transmission routes, and supports the hypothesis that oral exposure
may reflect the initial pathway of CWD infection in deer.

Technical Abstract: Mule deer fawns were inoculated orally with a brain
homogenate prepared from mule deer with naturally occurring chronic
wasting disease (CWD), a prion induced transmissible spongiform
encephalopathy. Fawns were necropsies and examined for PrP-res, a
protein marker for infection, at 10, 42, 53, 77, 78 and 80 days post
inoculation using an immunohistochemistry assay modified to enhance
sensitivity. PrP-res was detected in alimentary-tract- associated
lymphoid tissues as early as 42 days post inoculation and in all fawns
after 53 days. These results indicated that CWD PrP-res can be detected
at least 16 months before clinical signs would be expected to appear and
may reflect the initial pathway of CWD infection in deer.

http://nps.ars.usda.gov/publication...gnum=0000103091

Establishing the transmission of BSE to mink

44. Transmissible mink encephalopathy ("TME") is a rare disease of ranch
reared mink, first recognised in the USA. It had been assumed to be
scrapie in mink and, like BSE, outbreaks have epidemiological
features consistent with a foodborne infection, but it has never been
possible to demonstrate that scrapie infected sheep brain tissue is
pathogenic to mink by oral exposure. In an incident of TME in
Stetsonville, Wisconsin, USA in 1985 Dr Richard Marsh observed that
although the rancher fed 'dead stock', mainly in the form of cattle
carcasses, sheep tissues had never been fed. Studies in the USA of
this incident showed not only that cattle inoculated intracerebrally
with the mink brain developed a fatal spongiform encephalopathy, but
also that the cattle passaged agent remained pathogenic for
mink by either intracerebral inoculation or feeding. In the absence of
reports of a clinical disease homologous to BSE in domestic cattle,
these findings prompted the suggestion that a rare or occult
form of such a disease might exist in the USA. Comparison of the
biological properties of the BSE
pathogen with those of the Stetsonville isolate was therefore of
considerable interest in relation to hypotheses concerning possible
origins of BSE and potential for subclinical infection in cattle.
45. Proposals to carry out studies with mink in the USA were developed
in collaboration with, the United States Department of Agriculture
("USDA") Agricultural Research Service ("ARS") and the
Department of Veterinary Science, University of Wisconsin, Madison,
Wisconsin, USA. On 30th October, 1990 I attended a CVL/NPU BSE R&D
meeting at the NPU in Edinburgh (YB90/10.30/1.1). I reported that brain
material from BSE affected cows and a control cow (not fed meat and
bonemeal) had been sent coded to Mr Mark Robinson (USDA) for
transmission studies in mink. The studies were conducted from February
1991 under the control and principal funding of USDA-ARS. The results,
discussed at the tenth CVL/NPU BSE R&D meeting on 27th April, 1993
(YB93/4.27/1.1) indicated that mink were indeed susceptible to BSE and,
in contrast to previous attempts to transmit scrapie to the species,
were susceptible by the oral route of inoculation. The collaboration
resulted in the publication of a paper: Robinson, M.M. et al (1994)
Experimental infection of mink with bovine spongiform encephalopathy.
Journal of General Virology 75, 2151-2155 (J/JVIR /75/2151).

snip...

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/ws/s065a.pdf

BSE TO MINK CONFIRMED

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1993/04/27001001.pdf

1: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2001 Mar 27;98(7):4142-7

Adaptation of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent to primates and
comparison with Creutzfeldt-- Jakob disease: implications for human health.

Lasmezas CI, Fournier JG, Nouvel V, Boe H, Marce D, Lamoury F, Kopp N,
Hauw JJ, Ironside J, Bruce M, Dormont D, Deslys JP.

Commissariat a l'Energie Atomique, Service de Neurovirologie, Direction
des Sciences du Vivant/Departement de Recherche Medicale, Centre de
Recherches du Service de Sante des Armees 60-68, Fontenay-aux-Roses,
France. [email protected]

There is substantial scientific evidence to support the notion that
bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) has contaminated human beings,
causing variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD). This disease has
raised concerns about the possibility of an iatrogenic secondary
transmission to humans, because the biological properties of the
primate-adapted BSE agent are unknown. We show that (i) BSE can be
transmitted from primate to primate by intravenous route in 25 months,
and (ii) an iatrogenic transmission of vCJD to humans could be readily
recognized pathologically, whether it occurs by the central or
peripheral route. Strain typing in mice demonstrates that the BSE agent
adapts to macaques in the same way as it does to humans and confirms
that the BSE agent is responsible for vCJD not only in the United
Kingdom but also in France. The agent responsible for French iatrogenic
growth hormone-linked CJD taken as a control is very different from vCJD
but is similar to that found in one case of sporadic CJD and one sheep
scrapie isolate. These data will be key in identifying the origin of
human cases of prion disease, including accidental vCJD transmission,
and could provide bases for vCJD risk assessment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...1&dopt=Abstract

this next one frightens me the most, you might want to read
it twice, and really think about it...TSS

1: J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 1994 Jun;57(6):757-8

Transmission of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease to a chimpanzee by electrodes
contaminated during neurosurgery.

Gibbs CJ Jr, Asher DM, Kobrine A, Amyx HL, Sulima MP, Gajdusek DC.

Laboratory of Central Nervous System Studies, National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health,
Bethesda, MD 20892.

Stereotactic multicontact electrodes used to probe the cerebral cortex
of a middle aged woman with progressive dementia were previously
implicated in the accidental transmission of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
(CJD) to two younger patients. The diagnoses of CJD have been confirmed
for all three cases. More than two years after their last use in humans,
after three cleanings and repeated sterilisation in ethanol and
formaldehyde vapour, the electrodes were implanted in the cortex of a
chimpanzee. Eighteen months later the animal became ill with CJD. This
finding serves to re-emphasise the potential danger posed by reuse of
instruments contaminated with the agents of spongiform encephalopathies,
even after scrupulous attempts to clean them.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...4&dopt=Abstract

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1999 Mar 30;96(7):4046-51

Natural and experimental oral infection of nonhuman primates by bovine
spongiform encephalopathy agents.

Bons N, Mestre-Frances N, Belli P, Cathala F, Gajdusek DC, Brown P.

Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Laboratoire de Neuromorphologie
Fonctionnelle, Universite Montpellier II, 34095-Montpellier cedex 5, France.

Experimental lemurs either were infected orally with the agent of bovine
spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) or were maintained as uninfected control
animals. Immunohistochemical examination for proteinase-resistant
protein (prion protein or PrP) was performed on tissues from two
infected but still asymptomatic lemurs, killed 5 months after infection,
and from three uninfected control lemurs. Control tissues showed no
staining, whereas PrP was detected in the infected animals in tonsil,
gastrointestinal tract and associated lymphatic tissues, and spleen. In
addition, PrP was detected in ventral and dorsal roots of the cervical
spinal cord, and within the spinal cord PrP could be traced in nerve
tracts as far as the cerebral cortex. Similar patterns of PrP
immunoreactivity were seen in two symptomatic and 18 apparently healthy
lemurs in three different French primate centers, all of which had been
fed diets supplemented with a beef protein product manufactured by a
British company that has since ceased to include beef in its veterinary
nutritional products. This study of BSE-infected lemurs early in their
incubation period extends previous pathogenesis studies of the
distribution of infectivity and PrP in natural and experimental scrapie.
The similarity of neuropathology and PrP immunostaining patterns in
experimentally infected animals to those observed in both symptomatic
and asymptomatic animals in primate centers suggests that BSE
contamination of zoo animals may have been more widespread than is
generally appreciated.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...0&dopt=Abstract

1: Vet Rec 1993 Apr 17;132(16):403-6

Experimental transmission of BSE and scrapie to the common marmoset.

Baker HF, Ridley RM, Wells GA.

Division of Psychiatry, Clinical Research Centre, Harrow, Middlesex.

Two young male common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus) were injected
intracerebrally and intraperitoneally with a crude brain homogenate
prepared from a cow with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). Two
other marmosets were similarly injected with brain homogenate from a
sheep with natural scrapie. The two animals injected with scrapie
material developed neurological signs 38 and 42 months after injection
and the two animals injected with BSE material developed neurological
signs after 46 and 47 months. Post mortem examination of the brains
revealed spongiform encephalopathy especially in the basal nuclei and
diencephalon of all the animals and, in addition, involvement of the
cerebral cortex of the marmosets injected with scrapie material. The
experiment extends the host range of experimental BSE to include a
primate species.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...8&dopt=Abstract

1: J Gen Virol 1991 Mar;72 ( Pt 3):589-94

Epidemiological and experimental studies on a new incident of
transmissible mink encephalopathy.

Marsh RF, Bessen RA, Lehmann S, Hartsough GR.

Department of Veterinary Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison 53706.

Epidemiological investigation of a new incident of transmissible mink
encephalopathy (TME) in Stetsonville, Wisconsin, U.S.A. in 1985 revealed
that the mink rancher had never fed sheep products to his mink but did
feed them large amounts of products from fallen or sick dairy cattle. To
investigate the possibility that this occurrence of TME may have
resulted from exposure to infected cattle, two Holstein bull calves were
injected intracerebrally with mink brain from the Stetsonville ranch.
Each bull developed a fatal spongiform encephalopathy 18 and 19 months
after inoculation, respectively, and both bovine brains passaged back
into mink were highly pathogenic by either intracerebral or oral
inoculation. These results suggest the presence of a previously
unrecognized scrapie-like infection in cattle in the United States.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...3&dopt=Abstract

1: Ital J Neurol Sci 1983 Apr;4(1):61-4

Creutzfeld-Jakob disease in the province of Siena: two cases transmitted
to monkeys.

Fieschi C, Orzi F, Pocchiari M, Nardini M, Rocchi F, Asher D, Gibbs C,
Gajdusek D.

Two cases of histopathologically documented Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
were observed in the same area of the province of Siena in 1974-1975.
The transmission of the disease was obtained through brain homogenates
and lymphnodes in one of the two cases. This confirms that the agent is
present in other tissues besides the brain and underlines further the
analogies between Creutzfeld-Jakob disease and scrapie.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...0&dopt=Abstract

1: Dev Biol Stand 1993;80:9-13

Transmission of human spongiform encephalopathies to experimental
animals: comparison of the chimpanzee and squirrel monkey.

Asher DM, Gibbs CJ Jr, Sulima MP, Bacote A, Amyx H, Gajdusek DC.

Laboratory of Central Nervous System Studies, National Institute of
Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH, Bethesda, MD 20992.

The agents of kuru and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease have been consistently
transmitted from patients with those diseases to chimpanzees and
squirrel monkeys, as well as to other new-world primates, with average
incubation periods of two or three years. No other animals have been
found so consistently susceptible to the agents in human tissues. More
rapid and convenient assays for the infectious agents would greatly
facilitate research on the spongiform encephalopathies of humans.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...9&dopt=Abstract

1: J Vet Diagn Invest 2001 Jan;13(1):91-6

Preliminary findings on the experimental transmission of chronic wasting
disease agent of mule deer to cattle.

Hamir AN, Cutlip RC, Miller JM, Williams ES, Stack MJ, Miller MW,
O'Rourke KI, Chaplin MJ.

National Animal Disease Center, ARS, USDA, Ames, IA 50010, USA.

To determine the transmissibility of chronic wasting disease (CWD) to
cattle and to provide information about clinical course, lesions, and
suitability of currently used diagnostic procedures for detection of CWD
in cattle, 13 calves were inoculated intracerebrally with brain
suspension from mule deer naturally affected with CWD. Between 24 and 27
months postinoculation, 3 animals became recumbent and were euthanized.
Gross necropsies revealed emaciation in 2 animals and a large pulmonary
abscess in the third. Brains were examined for protease-resistant prion
protein (PrP(res)) by immunohistochemistry and Western blotting and for
scrapie-associated fibrils (SAFs) by negative-stain electron microscopy.
Microscopic lesions in the brain were subtle in 2 animals and absent in
the third case. However, all 3 animals were positive for PrP(res) by
immunohistochemistry and Western blot, and SAFs were detected in 2 of
the animals. An uninoculated control animal euthanized during the same
period did not have PrP(res) in its brain. These are preliminary
observations from a currently in-progress experiment. Three years after
the CWD challenge, the 10 remaining inoculated cattle are alive and
apparently healthy. These preliminary findings demonstrate that
diagnostic techniques currently used for bovine spongiform
encephalopathy (BSE) surveillance would also detect CWD in cattle should
it occur naturally.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...4&dopt=Abstract

P.S. the study above confirmed 5 cows and 1 goat transmission of CWD to cattle,
of the final stages of the study. ...tss

Published online before print March 20, 2001, 10.1073/pnas.041490898
Neurobiology
Adaptation of the bovine spongiform encephalopathy agent to primates and comparison with Creutzfeldt- Jakob disease: Implications for human health
Corinne Ida Lasmézas*,dagger, Jean-Guy Fournier*, Virginie Nouvel*, Hermann Boe*, Domíníque Marcé*, François Lamoury*, Nicolas KoppDagger , Jean-Jacques Hauw§, James Ironside¶, Moira Bruce||, Dominique Dormont*, and Jean-Philippe Deslys*

snip...

Discussion

One aim of this study was to determine the risk of secondary transmission to humans of vCJD, which is caused not by a primarily human strain of TSE agent but by the BSE strain having passed the species barrier to humans. This risk is tightly linked to the capacity of the BSE agent to adapt to primates and harbor enhanced virulence (i.e., induce disease after a short incubation period and provoke disease even if highly diluted) and to its pathogenicity after inoculation by the peripheral route. With respect to the latter, there are huge variations between different TSE agent strains and hosts. For example, the BSE agent is pathogenic to pigs after i.c. inoculation but not after oral administration (23). Thus, we wanted to know to what extent the BSE/vCJD agent is pathogenic to humans by the i.c. and i.v. routes. To achieve this, we used the macaque model. To monitor the evolution of the BSE agent in primates, but also to verify the identity of French vCJD, we conducted parallel transmission to C57BL/6 mice, allowing strain-typing. The experimental scheme is depicted in Fig. 1.

Characterization of the BSE Agent in Primates. The identity of the lesion profiles obtained from the brains of the French patient with vCJD, two British patients with vCJD, and nonhuman primates infected with BSE provides experimental demonstration of the fact that the BSE agent strain has been transmitted to humans both in the U.K. and in France. Further, it lends support to the validity of the macaque model as a powerful tool for the study of vCJD. As far as the evolution of the BSE agent in primates is concerned, we observed an interesting phenomenon: at first passage of BSE in macaques and with vCJD, there was a polymorphism of the lesion profile in mice in the hippocampal region, with about half of them harboring much more severe vacuolation than the mice inoculated with cattle BSE. At second passage, the polymorphism tended to disappear, with all mice showing higher vacuolation scores in the hippocampus than cattle BSE mice. This observation suggests the appearance of a variant of the BSE agent at first passage in primates and its clonal selection during second passage in primates. The lesion profiles showed that it was still the BSE agent, but the progressive appearance of a "hippocampal signature" hallmarked the evolution toward a variant by essence more virulent to primates.

Characterization of the CJD and Scrapie Strains. Controls were set up by transmitting one French and one U.S. scrapie isolate from ruminants as well as French sCJD and iCJD cases from humans. None of these revealed a lesion profile or transmission characteristics similar or close to those of BSE or vCJD, respectively, thus extending to the present French scrapie isolate the previous observation that the BSE agent was different from all known natural scrapie strains (4, 24).
The lesion profiles of sCJD and iCJD differed only slightly in severity of the lesions, but not in shape of the profile, revealing the identity of the causative agents. One of us reported the absence of similarity between sCJD (six cases) and U.K. scrapie (eight cases) in transmission characteristics in mice (4). Herein, we made the striking observation that the French natural scrapie strain (but not the U.S. scrapie strain) has the same lesion profile and transmission times in C57BL/6 mice as do the two human TSE strains studied. This strain "affiliation" was confirmed biochemically. There is no epidemiological evidence for a link between sheep scrapie and the occurrence of CJD in humans (25). However, such a link, if it is not a general rule, would be extremely difficult to establish because of the very low incidence of CJD as well as the existence of different isolates in humans and multiple strains in scrapie. Moreover, scrapie is transmissible to nonhuman primates (26). Thus, there is still a possibility that in some instances TSE strains infecting humans do share a common origin with scrapie, as pointed out by our findings.

Transmission of vCJD and BSE to Nonhuman Primates. vCJD transmitted readily to the cynomolgus macaque after 2 years of incubation, which was comparable to the transmission obtained from first-passaged macaque BSE and much shorter than the interspecies transmission of BSE. Starting with 100 mg of BSE-macaque brain material, dilutions up to 4 µg still provoked disease. These data suggest that the BSE agent rapidly adapts to primates accompanied by enhanced virulence.
Examination of macaque brain inoculated with vCJD revealed a similar pathology to that with second-passage BSE. The distribution of vacuolation and gliosis, as well as the pattern of PrP deposition, including the dense, sometimes florid plaques, were similar to the human vCJD and the BSE hallmarks of the first passage (1, 2). These data show that the phenotype of BSE in primates is conserved over two passages. Moreover, they confirm that the BSE agent behaves similarly in humans and macaques, a precious finding that will prove useful in the near future for the design of pathogenesis or therapeutic studies. Because of the number of macaques examined in this study, we can now reliably state that the pathology, in particular the PrP deposition pattern provoked by BSE, is similar in older and very young animals. However, plaque deposition is greater, and mature florid plaques were more numerous, in the young, which may be correlated with a longer duration of the clinical phase observed in this animal (2). This is important with regard to the fact that vCJD has been diagnosed mainly in teenagers and young adults, which raises the concern that older patients may have been misdiagnosed because of an alternative phenotype of the disease. One should bear in mind, however, that cynomolgus macaques are all homozygotes for methionine at codon 129 of the PrP gene. Thus, our observations may not be relevant to humans carrying one or both valine alleles; however, all patients with vCJD reported to date have been M/M at this position (27).

Intravenous Transmissions to Nonhuman Primates. Brain pathology was identical in macaques inoculated i.c. and i.v. The i.v. route proved to be very efficient for the transmission of BSE, as shown by the 2-year survival of the animals, which is only 5 months longer than that obtained after inoculating the same amount of agent i.c. As the i.v. injection of the infectious agent implies per se a delayed neuroinvasion compared with a direct inoculation in the brain, this slight lengthening of the incubation period cannot, at this stage, be interpreted as a lower efficiency of infection as regards the i.c. route.
These data should be taken into account in the risk assessment of iatrogenic vCJD transmission by i.v. administration of biological products of human origin. They also constitute an incentive for a complete i.v. titration.
Conclusions

From BSE and vCJD transmissions in nonhuman primates, a number of conclusions can be drawn that are of major importance for human health: (i) human-adapted BSE appears to be a variant of the BSE agent that is more virulent for humans than cattle BSE and is efficiently transmitted by the peripheral route; (ii) the detection of vCJD in unusually young patients is probably not because of a lack of diagnosis of cases in older patients, thus raising the question of the source of human contamination with BSE early in life; and (iii) iatrogenic transmissions from patients with vCJD would be readily recognized by using the same diagnostic criteria as those applied to vCJD [clinical and pathological criteria (27) comprising neuronal loss and gliosis in the thalamus correlated with high MRI signal (28, 29)], whether such contaminations had occurred by the central or i.v. route. Primary and iatrogenic cases of vCJD could be distinguished on the basis of the patient's clinical history.

The risk assessment of biological products of human origin, notably those derived from blood, has been deeply modified by the appearance of vCJD. We confirm that the BSE agent has contaminated humans not only in the U.K. and the Republic of Ireland but also in France, and we show that its pathogenic properties for primates are being enhanced by a primary passage in humans. Considering the flow of potentially contaminated bovine-derived products between 1980 and 1996, it is obvious that further vCJD cases may occur outside the U.K. Thus, and in the light of the present study, it is necessary to sustain worldwide CJD surveillance regardless of national BSE incidence and to take all precautionary measures to avoid iatrogenic transmissions from vCJD.

snip...

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/041490898v1

MRC-43-00 [ ] [Text only version of this site] [Print this page]
Issued: Monday, 28 August 2000
NEW EVIDENCE OF SUB-CLINICAL PRION INFECTION: IMPORTANT RESEARCH FINDINGS RELEVANT TO CJD AND BSE

A team of researchers led by Professor John Collinge at the Medical Research Council Prion Unit1 report today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, on new evidence for the existence of a ?sub-clinical? form of BSE in mice which was unknown until now.

The scientists took a closer look at what is known as the ?species barrier? - the main protective factor which limits the ability of prions2 to jump from one species to infect another. They found the mice had a ?sub-clinical? form of disease where they carried high levels of infectivity but did not develop the clinical disease during their normal lifespan. The idea that individuals can carry a disease and show no clinical symptoms is not new. It is commonly seen in conventional infectious diseases.

Researchers tried to infect laboratory mice with hamster prions3 called Sc237 and found that the mice showed no apparent signs of disease. However, on closer inspection they found that the mice had high levels of mouse prions in their brains. This was surprising because it has always been assumed that hamster prions could not cause the disease in mice, even when injected directly into the brain.

In addition the researchers showed that this new sub-clinical infection could be easily passed on when injected into healthy mice and hamsters.

The height of the species barrier varies widely between different combinations of animals and also varies with the type or strain of prions. While some barriers are quite small (for instance BSE easily infects mice), other combinations of strain and species show a seemingly impenetrable barrier. Traditionally, the particular barrier studied here was assumed to be robust.

Professor John Collinge said: "These results have a number of important implications. They suggest that we should re-think how we measure species barriers in the laboratory, and that we should not assume that just because one species appears resistant to a strain of prions they have been exposed to, that they do not silently carry the infection. This research raises the possibility, which has been mentioned before, that apparently healthy cattle could harbour, but never show signs of, BSE.

"This is a timely and unexpected result, increasing what we know about prion disease. These new findings have important implications for those researching prion disease, those responsible for preventing infected material getting into the food chain and for those considering how best to safeguard health and reduce the risk that theoretically, prion disease could be contracted through medical and surgical procedures."

ISSUED FRIDAY 25 AUGUST UNDER EMBARGO. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE EMBARGO IS SET BY THE JOURNAL.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT THE MRC PRESS OFFICE ON 020 7637 6011 (OFFICE HOURS) OR 07818 428297 OR 0385 774357 (OUT-OF-OFFICE-HOURS) OR PROFESSOR JOHN COLLINGE ON 020 7594 3760. PLEASE NOTE THAT OWING TO TRAVEL COMMITMENTS PROFESSOR COLLINGE WILL ONLY BE AVAILABLE UNTIL 16.30 ON FRIDAY 25 AUGUST AND CONTACTABLE AGAIN ON MONDAY 28 AUGUST VIA THE MRC PRESS OFFICE. DR ANDREW HILL (A CO-AUTHOR ON THE PAPER) FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF PATHOLOGY AT THE UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON 00 61 3 8344 3995 (DURING OFFICE HOURS) OR 00 61 3 9443 0009 (OUT-OF-OFFICE HOURS). PLEASE NOTE THAT AUSTRALIA IS TEN HOURS AHEAD OF UK TIME.

NOTES FOR EDITORS

Professor Collinge is a consultant neurologist and Director of the newly formed MRC Prion Unit based at The Imperial College School of Medicine at St Mary?s Hospital. He is also a member of the UK Government?s Spongiform Encephalopathy Advisory Committee (SEAC). The MRC prion unit is was set up in 1999, and its work includes molecular genetic studies of human prion disease and transgenic modelling of human prion diseases.

Prions are unique infectious agents that cause fatal brain diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans and scrapie and BSE (mad cow disease) in animals. In some circumstances prions from one species of animals can infect another and it is clear that BSE has done this to cause the disease variant CJD in the UK and France. It remains unclear how large an epidemic of variant CJD will occur over the years ahead.

The strain of prion used here to infect the mice is the Sc237 strain (also known as 263K) which infects hamsters, and until now was assumed not to infect mice.

This research was funded by the Medical Research Council and Wellcome Trust.

The Medical Research Council (MRC) is a national organisation funded by the UK tax-payer. Its business is medical research aimed at improving human health; everyone stands to benefit from the outputs. The research it supports and the scientists it trains meet the needs of the health services, the pharmaceutical and other health-related industries and the academic world. MRC has funded work which has led to some of the most significant discoveries and achievements in medicine in the UK. About half of the MRC?s expenditure of £345 million is invested in over 50 of its Institutes and Units, where it employs its own research staff. The remaining half goes in the form of grant support and training awards to individuals and teams in universities and medical schools.

The Wellcome Trust is the world's largest medical research charity with a spend of some £600 million in the current financial year 1999/2000. The Wellcome Trust supports more than 5,000 researchers, at 400 locations, in 42 different countries to promote and foster research with the aim of improving human and animal health. As well as funding major initiatives in the public understanding of science, the Wellcome Trust is the country's leading supporter of research into the history of medicine.

©2002 Medical Research Council

http://www.mrc.ac.uk/index/public_interest/public-press_office/public-press_releases_2000/public-mrc-43-00.htm

and for Gods sake, if someone is smearing this cr@p all over there kids
heads for lice and did not come up with a TSE, i would say this is good case study;

1) None of our animals that contracted BSE were treated with OP's, even
in utero.
2) My kids were treated with OP's as infants to control head lice. This
seems to be endemic as infection waves in UK primary schools (and
possibly elsewhere).
3) One might argue if the continued use of british beef in the UK was
ethical, none the less it happened. We have a duty to learn from it, not
least a duty to learn on behalf of those people who died so horribly....

NOPE, greed and money is the name of the game, they have known for decades;

STRICTLY PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL 25, AUGUST 1995

snip...

To minimise the risk of farmers' claims for compensation from feed
compounders.

To minimise the potential damage to compound feed markets through adverse publicity.

To maximise freedom of action for feed compounders, notably by
maintaining the availability of meat and bone meal as a raw
material in animal feeds, and ensuring time is available to make any
changes which may be required.

snip...

THE FUTURE

MAFF remains under pressure in Brussels and is not skilled at
handling potentially explosive issues.

5. Tests _may_ show that ruminant feeds have been sold which
contain illegal traces of ruminant protein. More likely, a few positive
test results will turn up but proof that a particular feed mill knowingly
supplied it to a particular farm will be difficult if not impossible.

6. The threat remains real and it will be some years before feed
compounders are free of it. The longer we can avoid any direct
linkage between feed milling _practices_ and actual BSE cases,
the more likely it is that serious damage can be avoided. ...

SEE full text ;

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/08/24002001.pdf

BUT, i applaud ranchers that understand the TSE science and not the hype that surrounds it such as 'reader the second' ;

>>>Look, Mark Purdey, I applaud you for your perserverance, your bravery in taking on the establishment, and your creativity. It may well be that you were instrumental in bringing the familial and other genetic clusters in Slovenia to the attention of science.

I acknowledge that you suffered but your suffering sir is NOTHING compared to the suffering of the families afflicted with CJD and variant CJD and to the extent that your writings are used to ignore public health threats and to avoid taking public health measures that may well protect humans from CJD, then your writings are being ill used. You should acknowledge that and if you do not, I will pay no further attention to you.

Your supporters use your writings to (1) deny that CJD is transmissable from person to person, e.g., via contaminated surgical instruments or tissue or blood donations; (2) reject totally the strong hypothesis that variant CJD is due to the BSE epidemic in the UK being "pushed" over the species barrier. They claim that all cases of human CJD are due to metal contamination. It is they who are perverting your theories and therefore subjecting you to ridicule. Unless you deny these things as well and in which case, you should be ignored since in the case of (1) you deny fact and in the case of (2) you reject a hypothesis that must be accepted for the time being and must lead our public health measures given its strength.

NO ONE has denied that the ultimate cause of TSEs is unknown. However TSEs ARE transmissable between species, albeit not easily, and they are certainly transmissable among the same species. The suffering of the individual and his/her family who contracts CJD or variant CJD is hideous beyond description. If TSEs are your life work, you had better be taking that into consideration.<<<

>>>This is a danger to ranchers and to all humans<<<

INDEED there is;

CJD FARMERS WIFE 1989

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1989/10/13007001.pdf

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1989/10/13003001.pdf

20 year old died from sCJD in USA in 1980 and a 16 year
old in 1981. A 19 year old died from sCJD in
France in 1985. There is no evidence of an iatrogenic
cause for those cases....

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/10/04004001.pdf

cover-up of 4th farm worker ???

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/10/23006001.pdf

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/10/20006001.pdf

CONFIRMATION OF CJD IN FOURTH FARMER

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/11/03008001.pdf

now story changes from;

SEAC concluded that, if the fourth case were confirmed, it would be
worrying, especially as all four farmers with CJD would have had BSE
cases on their farms.

to;

This is not unexpected...

was another farmer expected?

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/11/13010001.pdf

4th farmer, and 1st teenager

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1996/02/27003001.pdf

2. snip...
Over a 5 year period, which is the time period on which the advice
from Professor Smith and Dr. Gore was based, and assuming a
population of 120,000 dairy farm workers, and an annual incidence
of 1 per million cases of CJD in the general population, a
DAIRY FARM WORKER IS 5 TIMES MORE LIKELY THAN
an individual in the general population to develop CJD. Using the
actual current annual incidence of CJD in the UK of 0.7 per
million, this figure becomes 7.5 TIMES.

3. You will recall that the advice provided by Professor Smith in
1993 and by Dr. Gore this month used the sub-population of dairy
farm workers who had had a case of BSE on their farms -
63,000, which is approximately half the number of dairy farm
workers - as a denominator. If the above sums are repeated using
this denominator population, taking an annual incidence in the general
population of 1 per million the observed rate in this sub-population
is 10 TIMES, and taking an annual incidence of 0.7 per million,
IT IS 15 TIMES (THE ''WORST CASE'' SCENARIO) than
that in the general population...

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1995/01/31004001.pdf

and for those that believe this was a spontaneous event or a happen-stance of bad luck from a spontatneous misfolding PrP, well, dream on. ...TSS

TSS submissions to federal dockets and peer review journals
Importation of Whole Cuts of Boneless Beef from Japan [Docket No. 05-004-1] RIN 0579-AB93 TSS SUBMISSION

http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/EDKStaffItemDetailView?objectId=090007d480993808

http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/EDKStaffAttachDownloadPDF?objectId=090007d480993808

http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/EDKStaffCollectionDetailView?objectId=0b0007d48096b40d

========================================================

========================================================

OLD TSS SUBMISSIONS;

Docket No, 04-047-l Regulatory Identification No. (RIN) 091O-AF46 NEW BSE SAFEGUARDS (comment submission)

https://web01.aphis.usda.gov/regpublic.nsf/0/eff9eff1f7c5cf2b87256ecf000df08d?OpenDocument

Docket No. 03-080-1 -- USDA ISSUES PROPOSED RULE TO ALLOW LIVE ANIMAL
IMPORTS FROM CANADA

https://web01.aphis.usda.gov/BSEcom.nsf/0/b78ba677e2b0c12185256dd300649f9d?OpenDocument&AutoFramed

Docket No. 2003N-0312 Animal Feed Safety System [TSS SUBMISSION]

Docket Management Docket: 02N-0273 - Substances Prohibited From Use in

Animal Food or Feed; Animal Proteins Prohibited in Ruminant Feed

Comment Number: EC -10

Accepted - Volume 2

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012403/8004be07.html

PART 2

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012403/8004be09.html

PDF]Freas, William TSS SUBMISSION

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat -

Page 1. J Freas, William From: Sent: To: Subject: Terry S. Singeltary

Sr. [[email protected]] Monday, January 08,200l 3:03 PM freas ...

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/01/slides/3681s2_09.pdf

Asante/Collinge et al, that BSE transmission to the 129-methionine

genotype can lead to an alternate phenotype that is indistinguishable

from type 2 PrPSc, the commonest _sporadic_ CJD;

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/03/slides/3923s1_OPH.htm

Docket Management Docket: 96N-0417 - Current Good Manufacturing Practice
in Manufacturing, Packing, or Holding Dietary Ingredients a
Comment Number: EC -2
Accepted - Volume 7

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Mar03/031403/96N-0417-EC-2.htm

[PDF] Appendices to PL107-9 Inter-agency Working Group Final Report 1-1
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Agent, Weapons of Mass Destruction Operations Unit Federal Bureau of
those who provided comments in response to Docket No. ...
Meager 8/18/01 Terry S. Singeltary Sr ...

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/pubs/PL107-9_Appen.pdf

Docket No. 2003N-0312 Animal Feed Safety System [TSS SUBMISSION
TO DOCKET 2003N-0312]

# Docket No: 02-088-1 RE-Agricultural Bioterrorism Protection Act of
2002; [TSS SUBMISSION ON POTENTIAL FOR BSE/TSE & FMD 'SUITCASE BOMBS'] -
TSS 1/27/03 (0)

Docket Management

Docket: 02N-0276 - Bioterrorism Preparedness; Registration of Food Facilities, Section 305
Comment Number: EC-254 [TSS SUBMISSION]

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dockets/02n0276/02N-0276-EC-254.htm

Dockets Entered On October 2, 2003 Table of Contents, Docket #,
Title, 1978N-0301,

OTC External Analgesic Drug Products, ... EMC 7, Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
Vol #: 1, ...

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/oct03/100203/100203.htm

Daily Dockets Entered on 02/05/03

DOCKETS ENTERED on 2/5/03. ... EMC 4 Terry S. Singeltary Sr. Vol#: 2.
... Vol#: 1.

03N-0009 Federal Preemption of State & Local Medical Device Requireme. ...

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Feb03/020503/020503.htm

Docket Management

Docket: 02N-0370 - Neurological Devices; Classification of Human Dura Mater

Comment Number: EC -1

Accepted - Volume 1

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012403/8004be11.html

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012403/8004bdfe.html

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jan03/012403/8004bdfc.html

Daily Dockets - 04/10/03

... 00D-1662 Use of Xenotransplantation Products in Humans.
EMC 98 Terry S. Singeltary Sr. Vol#: 3. 01F ...
http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Apr03/041003/041003.htm - 05-20-2003
- Cached

2003D-0186
Guidance for Industry: Use of Material From Deer and Elk In Animal Feed

EMC 1
Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
Vol #:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/Jun03/060903/060903.htm

2003D-0186

EMC 7
Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
Vol #:

2003D-0186

EMC 7
Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
Vol #:

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/oct03/100203/100203.htm

01N-0423 Substances Prohibited from use in animal food/Feed Ruminant

APE 5 National Renderers Association, Inc. Vol#: 2

APE 6 Animal Protein Producers Industry Vol#: 2

APE 7 Darling International Inc. Vol#: 2

EMC 1 Terry S. Singeltary Sr. Vol#: 3

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/01/Oct01/101501/101501.htm

Send Post-Publication Peer Review to journal:

Re: RE-Monitoring the occurrence of emerging forms of Creutzfeldt-Jakob

disease in the United States

Email Terry S. Singeltary:

[email protected]

I lost my mother to hvCJD (Heidenhain Variant CJD). I would like to

comment on the CDC's attempts to monitor the occurrence of emerging

forms of CJD. Asante, Collinge et al [1] have reported that BSE

transmission to the 129-methionine genotype can lead to an alternate

phenotype that is indistinguishable from type 2 PrPSc, the commonest

sporadic CJD. However, CJD and all human TSEs are not reportable

nationally. CJD and all human TSEs must be made reportable in every

state and internationally. I hope that the CDC does not continue to

expect us to still believe that the 85%+ of all CJD cases which are

sporadic are all spontaneous, without route/source. We have many TSEs in

the USA in both animal and man. CWD in deer/elk is spreading rapidly and

CWD does transmit to mink, ferret, cattle, and squirrel monkey by

intracerebral inoculation. With the known incubation periods in other

TSEs, oral transmission studies of CWD may take much longer. Every

victim/family of CJD/TSEs should be asked about route and source of this

agent. To prolong this will only spread the agent and needlessly expose

others. In light of the findings of Asante and Collinge et al, there

should be drastic measures to safeguard the medical and surgical arena

from sporadic CJDs and all human TSEs. I only ponder how many sporadic

CJDs in the USA are type 2 PrPSc?

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/eletters/60/2/176#535

LANCET INFECTIOUS DISEASE JOURNAL

Volume 3, Number 8 01 August 2003

Newsdesk

Tracking spongiform encephalopathies in North America

Xavier Bosch

My name is Terry S Singeltary Sr, and I live in Bacliff, Texas. I lost

my mom to hvCJD (Heidenhain variant CJD) and have been searching for

answers ever since. What I have found is that we have not been told the

truth. CWD in deer and elk is a small portion of a much bigger problem.

49-year-old Singeltary is one of a number of people who have remained

largely unsatisfied after being told that a close relative died from a

rapidly progressive dementia compatible with spontaneous

Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD). So he decided to gather hundreds of

documents on transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSE) and

realised that if Britons could get variant CJD from bovine spongiform

encephalopathy (BSE), Americans might get a similar disorder from

chronic wasting disease (CWD)the relative of mad cow disease seen among

deer and elk in the USA. Although his feverish search did not lead him

to the smoking gun linking CWD to a similar disease in North American

people, it did uncover a largely disappointing situation.

Singeltary was greatly demoralised at the few attempts to monitor the

occurrence of CJD and CWD in the USA. Only a few states have made CJD

reportable. Human and animal TSEs should be reportable nationwide and

internationally, he complained in a letter to the Journal of the

American Medical Association (JAMA 2003; 285: 733). I hope that the CDC

does not continue to expect us to still believe that the 85% plus of all

CJD cases which are sporadic are all spontaneous, without route or source.

Until recently, CWD was thought to be confined to the wild in a small

region in Colorado. But since early 2002, it has been reported in other

areas, including Wisconsin, South Dakota, and the Canadian province of

Saskatchewan. Indeed, the occurrence of CWD in states that were not

endemic previously increased concern about a widespread outbreak and

possible transmission to people and cattle.

To date, experimental studies have proven that the CWD agent can be

transmitted to cattle by intracerebral inoculation and that it can cross

the mucous membranes of the digestive tract to initiate infection in

lymphoid tissue before invasion of the central nervous system. Yet the

plausibility of CWD spreading to people has remained elusive.

Part of the problem seems to stem from the US surveillance system. CJD

is only reported in those areas known to be endemic foci of CWD.

Moreover, US authorities have been criticised for not having performed

enough prionic tests in farm deer and elk.

Although in November last year the US Food and Drug Administration

issued a directive to state public-health and agriculture officials

prohibiting material from CWD-positive animals from being used as an

ingredient in feed for any animal species, epidemiological control and

research in the USA has been quite different from the situation in the

UK and Europe regarding BSE.

Getting data on TSEs in the USA from the government is like pulling

teeth, Singeltary argues. You get it when they want you to have it,

and only what they want you to have.

Norman Foster, director of the Cognitive Disorders Clinic at the

University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, MI, USA), says that current

surveillance of prion disease in people in the USA is inadequate to

detect whether CWD is occurring in human beings; adding that, the

cases that we know about are reassuring, because they do not suggest the

appearance of a new variant of CJD in the USA or atypical features in

patients that might be exposed to CWD. However, until we establish a

system that identifies and analyses a high proportion of suspected prion

disease cases we will not know for sure. The USA should develop a

system modelled on that established in the UK, he points out.

Ali Samii, a neurologist at Seattle VA Medical Center who recently

reported the cases of three hunterstwo of whom were friendswho died

from pathologically confirmed CJD, says that at present there are

insufficient data to claim transmission of CWD into humans; adding that

[only] by asking [the questions of venison consumption and deer/elk

hunting] in every case can we collect suspect cases and look into the

plausibility of transmission further. Samii argues that by making both

doctors and hunters more aware of the possibility of prions spreading

through eating venison, doctors treating hunters with dementia can

consider a possible prion disease, and doctors treating CJD patients

will know to ask whether they ate venison.

CDC spokesman Ermias Belay says that the CDC will not be investigating

the [Samii] cases because there is no evidence that the men ate

CWD-infected meat. He notes that although the likelihood of CWD

jumping the species barrier to infect humans cannot be ruled out 100%

and that [we] cannot be 100% sure that CWD does not exist in humans&

the data seeking evidence of CWD transmission to humans have been very

limited.

http://infection.thelancet.com/journal/journal.isa

he complained in a letter to the Journal of the American Medical

Association (JAMA 2003; 285: 733). I hope that the CDC does not

continue to expect us to still believe that the 85% plus of all CJD

cases which are sporadic are all spontaneous, without route or source.<<<

actually, that quote was from a more recent article in the Journal of

Neurology (see below), not the JAMA article...

Full Text

Diagnosis and Reporting of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease

Singeltary, Sr et al. JAMA.2001; 285: 733-734.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/285/6/733?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=dignosing+and+reporting+creutzfeldt+jakob+disease&searchid=1048865596978_1528&stored_search=&FIRSTINDEX=0&journalcode=jama

BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL

SOMETHING TO CHEW ON

BMJ

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/319/7220/1312/b#EL2

BMJ

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/eletters/320/7226/8/b#EL1

THE PATHOLOGICAL PROTEIN

BY Philip Yam

Yam Philip Yam News Editor Scientific American www.sciam.com
http://www.thepathologicalprotein.com/

IN light of Asante/Collinge et al findings that BSE transmission to the
129-methionine genotype can lead to an alternate phenotype that is
indistinguishable from type 2 PrPSc, the commonest _sporadic_ CJD;

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: re-BSE prions propagate as

either variant CJD-like or sporadic CJD Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:23:43

-0000 From: "Asante, Emmanuel A" To:
"'[email protected]'"

Dear Terry,

I have been asked by Professor Collinge to respond to your request. I am

a Senior Scientist in the MRC Prion Unit and the lead author on the

paper. I have attached a pdf copy of the paper for your attention. Thank

you for your interest in the paper.

In respect of your first question, the simple answer is, yes. As you

will find in the paper, we have managed to associate the alternate

phenotype to type 2 PrPSc, the commonest sporadic CJD.

It is too early to be able to claim any further sub-classification in

respect of Heidenhain variant CJD or Vicky Rimmer's version. It will

take further studies, which are on-going, to establish if there are

sub-types to our initial finding which we

One of the doctors working with the late Dr. Elizabeth Williams (car accident Xmas 2004) is Dr. AN Hamir.

Dr. AN Hamir has an interesting past history. He spent much of the 80s and 90s working on lead toxicity in dogs and raccoons. In 1984 he wrote this paper which showed lead poisoning cause spongioform lesions in various parts of the "dog" brain.

J Comp Pathol. 1984 Apr;94(2):215-31. Related Articles, Links
Neuropathological lesions in experimental lead toxicosis of dogs.

Hamir AN, Sullivan ND, Handson PD.

Light microscopical examinations were carried out on the central and peripheral nervous systems of 9 dogs maintained on a high-fat-low-calcium diet and dosed orally with a mixture of lead chloride, lead bromide and lead sulphate. Microscopic lesions were present in 7 (78 per cent) of the lead-treated dogs. Cerebrocortical lesions comprising spongiosis, vascular hypertrophy and gliosis predominated. These lesions were bilateral, had a predilection for gyri and were located mainly in the parietal and frontal cortex. There were bilaterally symmetrical spongiform changes in the brain stem. The cerebellum had spongiform changes in the roof nuclei and in the lingula there was spongiosis of the Purkinje cell layer and vacuolation of Purkinje cells. Axonal degeneration was evident in a sciatic nerve of one dog. In a second experiment, designed to study the early ultrastructural changes in the brains of dogs with lead intoxication, 2 groups of dogs, one on a commercial balanced diet and the other fed a high-fat-low-calcium diet, were given similar amounts of lead. Cytoplasmic accumulation of lipid was found in the cerebrovascular pericytes of all dogs treated with lead but vascular changes were otherwise not obvious. Quantitative evaluation of numbers of blood vessels by light microscopy revealed an apparent increase in all dogs receiving lead. This increase in vascularity was greatest in the dogs fed the high-fat-low-calcium diet.

PMID: 6736309 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

In 1981, Hamir AN, et. al wrote:

"Clinical Signs, radiology and tissue lead distribution of dogs administered a mixture of lead chloride, lead bromide and lead sulphate"
Eight-month-old dogs maintained on a high-fat-low-calcium diet were administered a mixture of lead chloride, lead bromide and lead sulphate for prolonged periods at 4 different dose levels. Dogs on high levels of leads showed marked weight loss and gastrointestinal symptoms followed by death. Two dogs on low lead levels developed neurological signs. Radiological investigations showed radiopaque particles in 27 per cent of abdominal radiographs and "lead lines' in the distal radius of 3 dogs. Highest tissue lead levels were found in bones followed by liver and kidney, brain and spinal cord.

In 1982 AN Hamir co-wrote: "The effects of age and diet on the absorption of lead from the gastrointestinal tract of dogs." - which found age and dietery factors influenced absorption of lead via the digestive tract.

In 1985 Hamir co-wrote: "An outbreak of lead poisoning in dogs" in which they found "the affected dogs [working dogs on a sheep farm] exhibited neurological signs which appeared to be initiated by strenous physical activity". Also "histological lesions were seen in brain and bone."

By the 90s he had stopped working with long time associates ND Sullivan and PD Handson (in Australia), and moved onto the USA where he studied rabies and raccoons.

In 1992, he co-wrote: "Morphologic and immunoperoxidase study of neurologic lesions in naturally acquired rabies in raccoons" in which he stated, "Extensive morphologic lesions of rabies encephalitis were present in the cerebrum and the brain stem regions." "sites were not associated with any inflammatory cellular filtrate".

Moving on to 1999, Dr. Hamir co-wrote: "Neuronal vacuolation in raccoons in Oregon", in which he stated "Electron microscopic examinatin of the brain stem of selected animals revealed accumulation of electron-dense material within neuronal perikarya. ...examination indicated that the accumulated intracellular material had a high lipid content". Further research was needed on why there was a geographic restriction to animals with these lesions.

In May 2005, a post-humous report by Dr. Elizabeth Williams, et al including Dr. AN Hamir came out, entitled
"Experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease agent from mule deer to cattle by the intracerebral route."

J Vet Diagn Invest. 2005 May;17(3):276-81. Related Articles, Links

Experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease agent from mule deer to cattle by the intracerebral route.

Hamir AN, Kunkle RA, Cutlip RC, Miller JM, O'Rourke KI, Williams ES, Miller MW, Stack MJ, Chaplin MJ, Richt JA.

National Animal Disease Center, ARS, USDA, 2300 Dayton Avenue, PO Box 70, Ames, IA 50010, USA.

This communication reports final observations on experimental transmission of chronic wasting disease (CWD) from mule deer to cattle by the intracerebral route. Thirteen calves were inoculated intracerebrally with brain suspension from mule deer naturally affected with CWD. Three other calves were kept as uninoculated controls. The experiment was terminated 6 years after inoculation. During that time, abnormal prion protein (PrP(res)) was demonstrated in the central nervous system (CNS) of 5 cattle by both immunohistochemistry and Western blot. However, microscopic lesions suggestive of spongiform encephalopathy (SE) in the brains of these PrP(res)-positive animals were subtle in 3 cases and absent in 2 cases. Analysis of the gene encoding bovine PRNP revealed homozygosity for alleles encoding 6 octapeptide repeats, serine (S) at codon 46, and S at codon 146 in all samples. Findings of this study show that although PrP(res) amplification occurred after direct inoculation into the brain, none of the affected animals had classic histopathologic lesions of SE. Furthermore, only 38% of the inoculated cattle demonstrated amplification of PrP(res). Although intracerebral inoculation is an unnatural route of exposure, this experiment shows that CWD transmission in cattle could have long incubation periods (up to 5 years). This finding suggests that oral exposure of cattle to CWD agent, a more natural potential route of exposure, would require not only a much larger dose of inoculum but also may not result in amplification of PrP(res) within CNS tissues during the normal lifespan of cattle.

PMID: 15945388 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

The un-natural method of transmitting the disease [unidentified toxic substance] lead this group to the conclusion that PrP(res) [not necessarily PrPsc] would not significantly amplify with the CNS tissues during the normal lifespan of cattle, if at all. As this experiment utilized all the special procedures including homogenization, etc. and intra-cranial injection.

Dr. Harmin probably was not in agreement with this conclusion so he and a few of the authors from the "Williams" report [note not all of them] went on to do further intra-cranial injection experiments which lead to this report.
J Comp Pathol. 2006 Jan;134(1):67-73. Related Articles, Links

Experimental Second Passage of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD(mule)(deer)) Agent to Cattle.

Hamir AN, Kunkle RA, Miller JM, Greenlee JJ, Richt JA.

Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, National Animal Disease Center, 2300 Dayton Avenue, P.O. Box 70, Ames, IA 50010, USA.

To compare clinicopathological findings in first and second passage chronic wasting disease (CWD(mule)(deer)) in cattle, six calves were inoculated intracerebrally with brain tissue derived from a first-passage CWD-affected calf in an earlier experiment. Two uninoculated calves served as controls. The inoculated animals began to lose both appetite and weight 10-12 months later, and five subsequently developed clinical signs of central nervous system (CNS) abnormality. By 16.5 months, all cattle had been subjected to euthanasia because of poor prognosis. None of the animals showed microscopical lesions of spongiform encephalopathy (SE) but PrP(res) was detected in their CNS tissues by immunohistochemistry (IHC) and rapid Western blot (WB) techniques. Thus, intracerebrally inoculated cattle not only amplified CWD PrP(res) from mule deer but also developed clinical CNS signs in the absence of SE lesions. This situation has also been shown to occur in cattle inoculated with the scrapie agent. The study confirmed that the diagnostic techniques currently used for diagnosis of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in the US would detect CWD in cattle, should it occur naturally. Furthermore, it raised the possibility of distinguishing CWD from BSE in cattle, due to the absence of neuropathological lesions and to a distinctive multifocal distribution of PrP(res), as demonstrated by IHC which, in this study, appeared to be more sensitive than the WB technique.

PMID: 16423572 [PubMed - in process]

Dr. Hamin's newest report tries to paint a sinister picture of CWD crossing over to cattle, than the "E. Williams" study which pointed out the mode of transmission was un-natural.

What amazes me is that almost all of the top USA researchers working on prions diseases in animals, are toxicologists. Yet, none of these toxicologists have provided a breakdown of what metals are contained in the innoculants which they continue to intra-cranially inject into the brains of experimental lab animals.

Rabies vaccines where made from cow brains, [from countries free of BSE]. The potential for iatrogenic transmissin of the toxic metals, some of them potentially radioactive such as lead [210Pb has a half-life of 22.6 years] via injection of vaccines made with brain tissue has been the most likely mode of transmission of an animal disease to humans.

The continued occurrence of BSE after feed bans, cannot be explained forever "by lax feeding practices". Why aren't the ranchers of the world voicing their concerns that this disease is happening spontaneously by environmental contaminants, some naturally occurring and others man-made pollutants?

If you continue to blindly follow the infectious theory because that is what the experts are telling you, you will soon find yourself out of the animal food business. If you're lucky, you'll get a contract with a pharmaceutical company to produce a geneticially engineered cow that produces a specific un-natural protein in its milk, that they can use in human drugs. Those without the GE contracts, will be out of business because by then our "meat protein" will be grown in petri dishes in a lab, under controlled sterile laboratory conditions. Yummy...

Do you like tofu? It is made from soy milk.

U.S. EPA Toxics Release Inventory – 2002 Data Release
Summary of Key Findings U.S. EPA TRI Program

The United States (U.S) Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Toxics Release Inventory
(TRI) program collects information on the disposal or other releases and other waste management activities of over 650 chemicals from industrial sources in all 50 states and U.S. territories. The information has been collected annually since 1987. For 2002, the latest year for which data are available, disposal or other releases of these chemicals reported to EPA totaled over 4.79 billion pounds from 24,379 U.S. facilities submitting 93,380 chemical forms.

The 2002 TRI data are now available online in a searchable, sortable format at http://www.epa.gov/triexplorer.

PERSISTENT BIOACCUMULATIVE TOXIC (PBT) CHEMICALS
2002 is the third year, at reduced reporting thresholds, that the Toxics Release Inventory includes data on persistent bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) chemicals such as dioxins, mercury, and PCBs. For lead and lead compounds, it is the second year of reporting at reduced thresholds.

Why is there particular concern for PBT chemicals?
PBT chemicals are of particular concern not only because they are toxic, but also because they remain in the environment for long periods of time
and are not readily destroyed (they persist) and build up or accumulate in body tissues (they bioaccumulate).

What are the total PBT disposal or other releases for 2002?
Total disposal or other releases of PBT chemicals were 452 million pounds in 2002.
• 91% (411 million pounds) was disposed of or otherwise released on-site, including ► 233 million pounds (52%) in other land disposal (such as waste piles, spills or leaks) ► 129 million pounds (28%) in on-site surface impoundments
• 9% (41 million pounds) were disposed of or otherwise released off-site.
What were the top PBT chemicals released in 2002?
• Lead and lead compounds accounted for 98 percent (442 million pounds) of total disposal or other releases of PBT chemicals in 2002.
• Mercury and mercury compounds accounted for 1 percent (5.3 million pounds) of total disposal or other releases of PBT chemicals in 2002.
• Dioxin and dioxin-like compounds accounted for 141,187 grams of total disposal or other releases of PBT chemicals in 2002.

How do the 2002 PBT data compare to the 2001 PBT data?
Overall, when compared to quantities reported for the previous year (2001), total disposal or other releases of persistent bioaccumulative and toxic (PBT) chemicals increased by 11 million pounds or 3% from 2001 to 2002.Important considerations:

LEAD AND LEAD COMPOUNDS
Total disposal or other releases of lead and lead compounds were 442 million pounds for 2002.
• 91% (404 million pounds) was disposed of or otherwise released on-site, including ► 229 million pounds (52%) of other land disposal (such as waste piles, spills or leaks)► 127 million pounds (29%) to surface impoundments ► 1.5 million pounds (0.3%) of air emissions
• 9% (38 million pounds) were off-site disposal or other releases
How do the 2002 data compare to 2001?
Lead and lead compounds disposal or other releases increased by 14 million pounds or 3% from 2001 to 2002.

I' sure you are beginning to get the picture here. They are not talking about little tiny spills of these chemicals and metals. They are reporting on millions of pounds released into our environment every year.

Link to this site: (Key Findings of EPA Toxic Release Inventory 2002).

http://www.epa.gov/tri/tridata/tri02/TRI_2002_Key_Findings.pdf

amplification and transmission..............tss

Subject: MAD COW FEED BAN WARNING LETTER December 21, 2005
Date: January 10, 2006 at 7:18 am PST
Public Health Service
Food and Drug Administration

Kansas City District
Southwest Region
11630 West 80th Street
Lenexa, Kansas 66214-3340

December 21, 2005

CERTIFIED MAIL
RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED

WARNING LETTER

Ref. KAN 2006-08

Mr. Paul Rasmussen, President
Gold Eagle Cooperative Board of Directors
1145 Birch Ave
Corwith, IA 50430

Dear Mr. Rasmussen:

An investigator from our office conducted two inspections of your animal feed manufacturing operations at 415 N. Locust St., Goldfield, Iowa on August 23 and August 25 -26, 2005. During these inspections, a significant deviation from the requirements set forth in Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 589 .2000 [21 CFR 589 .2000] - Animal Proteins Prohibited in Ruminant Feed, was identified . The regulation is intended to prevent the establishment and amplification of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE). Our investigation found a failure to label one of your products, "ISLACT - IS LACTATION," a swine feed, with the statement "Do Not Feed to Cattle or Other Ruminants," as required by 21 CFR 589 .2000(d) . Although your swine feed is not formulated with protein derived from mammalian tissues as defined in 21 CFR 589 .2000(a)(1), which is prohibited in ruminant feed, your production practices may cause the finished product to contain such material. Our investigator found that your firm does not have a strategy for sequencing feeds and does not flush or otherwise clean shared production equipment between the manufacture of poultry feed formulated with protein derived from mammalian tissues and swine feed formulated without such material . As a result, swine feed may acquire protein derived from mammalian tissue from poultry feed residue remaining on the shared production equipment. Your failure to label your "ISLACT - IS LACTATION" swine feed with the statement "Do Not Feed to Cattle or Other Ruminants" causes it to be misbranded under section 403(a)(1) of the Act.

The above is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of deficiencies at your facility. As a manufacturer of animal feed, you are responsible for ensuring that your overall operation and the products you manufacture and distribute comply with the law.

You should take prompt action to correct this violation and establish a system whereby such violations do not recur. Failure to promptly correct this violation may result in regulatory action, such as seizure and/or injunction, without further notice.

You should notify this office in writing of the steps you have taken to bring your firm into compliance with the law within fifteen (15) working days of receiving this letter. Your response should include an explanation of each step being taken to correct the violation and prevent its recurrence. If corrective action cannot be completed within fifteen (15) working days, state the reason for the delay and the date by which the corrections will be completed. Please include copies of any available documentation demonstrating that corrections have been made.

Please send your reply to the Food and Drug Administration, Attention: Ralph Gray, Compliance Officer, 11630 West 80th Street, Lenexa, KS 66214-3340.

Sincerely,
/s/

C.R. Pendleton for John W. Thorsky
District Director
Kansas City District

http://www.fda.gov/foi/warning_letters/g5668d.htm

Subject: 15,323 TONS OF POTENTIAL TAINTED TSE RUMINANT PROTEIN WITHOUT MAD COW FEED WARNING IN CIRCULATION 4 STATES
Date: November 10, 2005 at 2:05 pm PST

PRODUCT
a) Bulk nonmedicated custom swine and poultry feeds,
Recall # V-006-6;
b) Bulk medicated swine and poultry feeds, Recall # V-007-6
CODE
N/A
RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER
Gold Eagle Cooperative, Goldfield, IA, by telephone or visit beginning August 30, 2005. Firm initiated recall is complete.
REASON
Swine and poultry feeds which may contain prohibited material are not labeled with the warning statement not to feed to cattle or other ruminants.
VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE
Approx. 15,323.68 tons of nonmedicated and medicated feed
DISTRIBUTION
IA, GA, MD, and MN

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2005/ENF00925.html

##################### Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy #####################

Greetings,

> i am still concerned that the FDA et al seems to have stopped posting

> updates on ruminant feed ban violations???

well, seems the GAO answered that question. i knew something was up.
just more of the same old BSeee. ...

Mad Cow Disease: An Evaluation of a Small Feed Testing Program FDA
Implemented in 2003 With Recommendations for Making the Program a Better
Oversight Tool. GAO-06-157R, October 11

http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-06-157R

TSS

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, 50 lb. bags, Recall # V-109-5 "Do not feed
to cattle or other ruminants" USA

##################### Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy
#####################

Subject: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, 50 lb. bags, Recall # V-109-5 "Do not feed
to cattle or other ruminants" USA
Date: October 27, 2005 at 7:33 pm PST

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINE -- CLASS II
Lot number: 11579
Recalling Firm: Griffin Industries, Inc., Cold Springs, KY, by telephone on
September 2, 2005.
Manufacturer: Griffin Industries, Inc., Henderson, KY. Firm initiated recall
is ongoing.
REASON
Product may contain prohibited material and is not identified with the
cautionary statement: "Do not feed to cattle or other ruminants".
863/50 lb. bags
DISTRIBUTION
IN

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR SEPTEMBER 28, 2005

###

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2005/ENF00919.html

RECALLS AND FIELD CORRECTIONS: VETERINARY MEDICINE -- CLASS II
CODE
No product labeling or lot coding
A-C Feed Ltd, Winters, TX, by telephone and by letter beginning June 2,
2005. Firm initiated recall is complete.
REASON
Distribution of a medicated free choice feed block for which there is no New
Animal Drug Application on file.
70.41 tons of Triple Play Blocks and 704.1 pounds of Rumensin 80
DISTRIBUTION
TX

penicillin), 6.0 g/lb., packaged in 50-lb. bags.
Recall # V-107-5;
b) Deccox 10X, Type B Medicated Feed, containing
decoquinate, 2,271 mg/lb., packaged in 10-lb.
and 50-lb. bags. Recall # V-108-5
CODE
a) All product that is not labeled with the warning;
b) All product that does not include sheep (as well as
cows and goats) producing milk for food in the
warning statement
International Nutrition, Inc., Omaha, NB, by telephone on August 3, 2005 and
by fax on August 4, 2005. Firm initiated recall is ongoing.
REASON
a) Labels lacked required warning to not feed to
chickens or turkeys producing eggs for human consumption;
b) Labels lacked required warning to not feed to sheep
producing milk for food. Cows and goats were properly
listed on the label.
111/50-lb. bags Procaine Penicillin -- 10;
19887/50-lb. bags and 3,710/10-lb.s Deccox 10X
DISTRIBUTION
KS, NE, MN, IA, CO, MO, and AZ

END OF ENFORCEMENT REPORT FOR SEPTEMBER 14, 2005

###

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2005/ENF00917.html

Greetings,

i am still concerned that the FDA et al seems to have stopped posting
updates on ruminant feed ban violations??? here are the last ones posted;

BSE -- CVM Updates

June 2005 Update on Feed Enforcement Activities to Limit the Spread of
BSE (June 20, 2005)

March 2005 Update on Feed Enforcement Activities to Limit the Spread
of BSE (March 17, 2005)

November 2004 Update on Ruminant Feed (BSE) Enforcement Activities
(November 23, 2004)

FDA Evaluates Test Kits to Detect Animal Proteins in Animal Feed
(November 4, 2004)

July 2004 Update on Ruminant Feed (BSE) Enforcement Activities (July
29, 2004)

FDA and USDA Request Comments and Scientific Information on Possible
New BSE Safeguards (July 9, 2004)

April 2004 Update on Ruminant Feed (BSE) Enforcement Activities (April
22, 2004)

Update on Ruminant Feed (BSE) Enforcement Activities (February 6,
2004)

Guidance for Investigators on Ruminant Feed (BSE) Inspections
Available (November 10, 2003)

Information about Ruminant Feed (BSE) Inspections Available (October
10, 2003)

Update On Ruminant Feed (BSE) Enforcement Activities (September 30,
2003)

NEW VERSION OF BSE INSPECTION CHECKLIST RELEASED (April 22, 2002)

RUMINANT FEED (BSE) ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES (April 15, 2002)

RUMINANT FEED (BSE) ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES (October 30, 2001)

FDA HOLDING PUBLIC HEARING ON RUMINANT FEED (BSE) RULES (October 10,
2001 )

BSE INSPECTION CHECKLIST AVAILABLE ON THE CVM INTERNET HOME PAGE
(September 25, 2001)

RUMINANT FEED (BSE) ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES (July 7, 2001 )

CVM PROVIDES INFORMATION ABOUT RUMINANT FEED (BSE) INSPECTIONS (April
19, 2001 )

RUMINANT FEED (BSE) ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES (March 23, 2001 )

UPDATE ON RUMINANT FEED (BSE) ENFORCEMENT ACTIVITIES (January 10,
2001 )

BSE FEED REGULATION TEAM TO RECEIVE VICE PRESIDENTIAL AWARD (May 13,
1999 )

FDA GUIDANCE ON BSE FEED REGULATION AVAILABLE (July 14, 1998 )

SATELLITE TELECONFERENCE ON FEED RULES ANNOUNCED (May 15, 1998 )

FDA GUIDANCE ON RUMINANT FEED RULES AVAILABLE (March 26, 1998)

INFORMATION FOR DAIRY AND BEEF PRODUCERS -- PROTEIN FEED RULES
(January 22, 1998)

DEADLINE FOR RUMINANT FEED RULE (October 9, 1997)

REQUEST FOR COMMENT ON RUMINANT FEED DRAFT RULE -- MAMMALIAN PROTEINS
PROHIBITED IN RUMINANT FEED (April 15, 1997)

FDA PROPOSES PRECAUTIONARY BAN AGAINST RUMINANT-TO-RUMINANT FEEDING
(January 2, 1997)

BSE "Fact Sheet"

Web Page Updated by mdt - June 21, 2005, 9:20 AM ET

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/bse_updates.htm

TSS

#################### https://lists.aegee.org/bse-l.html
####################

TSS

Latest posts