• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

All Around Stock/Varmint/Protection Dog

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
Hi folks,

We love our first dog, she's a nice small pup with lots of energy but good manners and easy going around my Mrs and family. She's a mini Aussie x Blue heeler.

She's doing a good job letting us know when strangers are about, but we have a little one on the way, and Colorado legal AND illicit drug trades are booming. I think I'm appropriately concerned about leaving wife and child at home alone during the work week, even with her being comfortable and accurate with a gun.

I'd like to invest in 1 or 2 pups this summer that will be perhaps a little less friendly and aggressive to trespassers but ones that I can trust around my family. Ideally they'd be smart enough to learn the ways of cattle and coyotes for use on the ranch as I'll have more time to dedicate to training this fall. I'm looking at mountain curs, any other suggestions and/or experience?

Thanks.

We had a cur dog that was the best, but I don't know much about Mountain curs. Could you show a picture because I am curious.
She was a super cow dog, super watch dog, but a little too aggressive with people, in other words, she wasn't above biting someone
and that's a whole other can of worms. We found out that you should never put a "Beware of Dog" sign out, that means you know you are harboring a vicious animal. Insurance frowns on that, so be careful.

I hope you can post a picture of a Mountain cur. I would love to see one and see if it is anything like our good dog, Zip.

I think I would like an Idaho Shag mixed with something....like blue heeler....

George will be a good source of info re. good guard dogs for people, I'm sure. Betting he will have some good ideas of what to look for in such a dog, as well as for training, etc.

Sure do sympathize with you living in an area that sounds like it's getting to be a dicey place to live due to deterioration of quality of people coming to the area. We still are awfully blessed in the general safety of 'country living', excepting for rattle snakes.

OTH, maybe it's the rattlers which keep some people away!

mrj

Latest posts