• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

All Texans Have a Wild Hog?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tenbach79

Reaction score
I was out checking sprinklers this morning and caught a glimps of a wild hog running back into the corn field right behind the sprinkler. First time I have seen them in out part of the country, have been seen about 20 miles east of our place.

What would be the best method for catching them? What kind of bait?

If you put out some calf grain would that get them out in the open? A 160 acre corn field thats 8 ft tall is hard to track them in. Need to put a seat on the sprinkler and ride it all day long with a rifle.

Whole corn soaked in Strawberry jello is the best bait. Take a 5 gal. pail fill with corn, pour a couple packs of strawberry jello on and fill about half to 2/3rds with water and let soak a day and it will draw them in.

Thanks for the tip. The grain that I have has molasses in it would that work or is straight whole corn the best? The next thing is early morning the best time to get a good shot to get them or at night? Didn't know if they would come out during the heat of the day. I figured that they are staying cool by staying with the sprinkler around the corn field. Thanks for the input.

It's SOME radical but effective-- a mud hole connected to 220 volts-- these things multiply at the speed of sound so get prepared :mad:

cowman52 said:
It's SOME radical but effective-- a mud hole connected to 220 volts-- these things multiply at the speed of sound so get prepared :mad:

Do you put the beans in before or after you add the pork? :lol:

Don't let them get started or you will never get them under control. I have seen herds of 80 + around here. Farmers in Delta county hired a helicopter hunter, killed them by the hundreds but still a losing battle. Traping them is more effective than hunting. Good luck.

Here's an old thread on the subject:

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27154

You'll never keep up with them if you try to hunt them. Do like efb says and trap, trap, trap. Get your neighbors to trap - this needs to be a group effort. Most people don't realize the seriousness of the situation until it's too late. In fact, if you've already seen one, it's probably already be too late.

Trap, trap, trap and never let a live one get away. Kill every feral hog you get in the trap. Feed out the young ones if you want to, but NEVER let one live after he's been in a trap or nobody will ever be able to catch him again.

The only good hog is a dead hog. Kill every hog you can and if you hear about people turning them back out to hunt or selling them to people to hunt, go ahead and kill them, too.

jodywy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGC1tjHCSVE

sw watched this just this morning, was laughing so hard had to see what he was watching. He actually watched this several times today...looks like so much fun! We have pigs ready to kill and they have totally trashed the calving barn...going to clean it when they leave Aug 15 and hope problem calving cows will even go in. We have our wolf problems, so glad we don't have feral pig problems...

The guy that had them in his corn field east of our place had hunters lined up during harvest a they killed 17 just in one fiield. I am going to try and trap them this week hope I get him.

Whereabouts in colorado are you? My dad has some land we lease out in Kiowa county, might have to bring the dogs up there and catch a few :D

tenbach79 said:
I am going to try and trap them this week hope I get him.
Remember that patience is the key to trapping hogs. You want to get as many in the trap as you can the first time you set it. That will require you to be patient and feed them in the trap for two or three nights before you set your door to trigger.

I like to use the prevailing winds along with the sour corn and put a trail of corn from a known trail going to the trap. Then put more corn inside the trap with a lot of it at the back. If you have a problem with deer or other wildlife, you might have to bury the corn or soak it in diesel. Put more corn toward the back of the trap because you want them to spend a lot of time away from the door so that you can get more of them in there.

I block the door open and go ahead and set my trigger just as if I were trying to catch them. But I just use a simple heavy drop door and a rudimentary type of trigger. My trigger is a forked stick driven into the ground at the back of the trap, with another stick across it and the panel on one side of the trap. That parallel stick is tied to a rope going to the drop door and I use a piece of string from a feed sack to tie the two sticks together. That way, when a hog knocks the parallel stick away from the forked stick, the weight of the door will trap them.

I go ahead and set my sticks up but block the door open. I put plenty of corn at the back of the trap and only when the corn is all gone and the sticks are knocked down am I ready to set my door so that it will fall. Sometimes it takes two or three nights of feeding them in the trap to be sure they're ready.

Remember that you're trying to trap as many as you can - NOT just one of them. Good luck!

We use to have them, but the drought has run them off. The last one I seen put his nose in a crack and turn up a china man. When we did have them we use traps, shot light, 270 and case of bullets.

Here is my question for those of you with experience, are they worth eating? In comparison, does feral hog taste to commercial pork what deer venison tastes to beef? They probably wouldn't taste too bad if they've been eating from cornfields...

Kosmo said:
Here is my question for those of you with experience, are they worth eating? In comparison, does feral hog taste to commercial pork what deer venison tastes to beef? They probably wouldn't taste too bad if they've been eating from cornfields...

I'll put it this way. Older boar meat stinks so bad that if cooked in a cast iron skillet, the smell will ruin the skillet. :lol:

Young ones, not so bad. If caught very young and raised on corn it is tolerable. It's still chewy and stringy though.

Some of the trappers around here will keep the little pigs they catch in a trap and put them on feed for a while. They usually sell them to people who want a little fat pig for a cookout.

Most of the people I know of that try to eat the bigger ones just cut out the backstraps and leave the rest for the buzzards. When I kill one, I leave it all for the buzzards.

Latest posts