• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

All time favorite book..

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nonothing

Reaction score
Some one ask me the other day what was my favorite book....I said"A good walk spoiled" by John Feinstein .....Then I remembered that it was Mark Twain who said about Golf,that it was a good walk spoiled by a little white ball and it reminded of tom sayer..I relly like that book alot as a kid..
So I thought,since it is always hard for me to find a good book,I thought I would ask here about what you folks found to be an outstanding read and why?...So if any of you wish to offer up names of a good read I would really enjoy finding out about other books I may never heard of before.........

I love reading,books are the greatest gift we have!!!! I pretty well will read anything,so many books I've loved for any number of reasons but I've noticed since I read this book I tell anyone and everyone to read it......I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. Its about twin brothers that as Adults one developes schizophrenia.I just hated closing this book. :(

Right now I'm reading four books so if one of them impacts me like this one did...I'll let you know :wink:

I just finished Frontier Fairwell by Garret Wilson. Not maybe my favorite book but a very comprehensive history of the settling on the west during Metis/boundary survey/ NWMP and Sitting Bull time.

I read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry once a winter. Even as good as the movie is (One of my all time favorites), the book is better. I read a ton of non-fiction these days. I love Seabiscut by Laura Hillenbrand. And i have a book about hunting bears, breaking colts, ranching and life in New Mexico at the turn of the century called Meet Mr. Grizzly by Montague Stevens. He lost one arm in an accident and the things he does one-armed is totally amazing. And his methods for training dogs, horses and living life are light years ahead of his time. Probably hard to find his book without lots of lookin. I got mine from my Grandmother before she passed away and it's a treasure.

I have alot of favs but Lonesome Dove is hard to beat-Ivan Doig has written some good ones too. The Ben Green books are good too. I really liked 'Centennial' and 'The Covenant' by James Michener. 'A Garden of Sand' and 'Tattoo' were good also I think the writer was Earl Thompson.

I have alot of favs but Lonesome Dove is hard to beat-Ivan Doig has written some good ones too. The Ben Green books are good too. I really liked 'Centennial' and 'The Covenant' by James Michener. 'A Garden of Sand' and 'Tattoo' were good also I think the writer was Earl Thompson.

Northern Rancher said:
James Michener bar none my fav all time author!!! I loved all his books but Cheasapeak was my fav. It took me about two yrs to get through Chesapeake,but so worth it[My kids were little then so stole time when I could,had to keep referenceing back }

Lonesome Dove was a great book for sure

The Da Vinci Code was a good read, and right now I'm really enjoying Pierre Berton's book 'Vimy'. Well written book about one of the greatest battles ever fought.

While in Fredericksburg, I found a coffee table book of Photographs from Lonesome Dove. I bought it. All of them are in sepia. I can't right off hand remember the man that done it, but he was on set, All of the pictures look like they were taken when the movie was supposed to have been set. Way cool. Not much readin involved, other than the entro and such, but it's still a really neat book, with lots of great shots.

Log of a Cwboy - Andy Adams

Dakota Cowboy - Ike Blasingame

????? - Teddy 'Blue' Abbott, anyone know the name of his book.

They were all good reads and discussed a lot of the cattle business back then.

Can't really say I have a favorite book, I read so many. I would rather read then stare at a tv, so much crap on these days. My authors of choice these days are James Rollins, and Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child who write together, but also write on their own. I have also been known to pick up a few trashy novels just to read something a little different. :oops:

Been There said:
I think Teddy Blue Abbott's book was "Ladder of Rivers."

Teddy Blue Abbott's book was "We Pointed Them North."

"Ladder of Rivers" was written by Harry Chrisman, and it was about the Olive Brothers and their large ranching operation in western Nebraska and northeastern Colorado.

Oh the Places you Will Go - Dr. Seuss

Goodnight Moon - Margert ?

I'll Love you forever and Always - A Children's book also

I think my favorite books are those written by James Herriot. All Creatures Great and Small is probably my favorite, but I really like them all. I would have really liked to meet Dr. Herriot; he really reminded me the Veterinarian we had when I was a kid, Dr. Melchor.

He was the best Vet in the world...he was good with animals, good with people, and an outstanding teacher of animal husbandry :clap: :clap: :clap:. Sadly, Dr. Melchor passed away way too young, after fighting a tough fight with Parkinson's Disease. :cry2:

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Latest posts