• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Alley question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nicky

Reaction score
Our new pens have quite abit of slope to them. How much is too much slope for the alley and squeeze chute?

Nicky, is the slope side to side or front to back in the alley?

I would vote for drainage and some slope with a level squeeze on the end.

Downhill toward the squeeze chute. Also, has anyone made their own adjustable alley out of pipe?

Nicky said:
Downhill toward the squeeze chute. Also, has anyone made their own adjustable alley out of pipe?

I welded on one for a guy. He basically had stationary posts with box tubing welded on then then the side of the alley had tubes and pin holes like a receiver hitch on a pickup seams to work well enough but there are some tubes hanging out to bang your head and shins on.

Ours is a slight downhill to the chute and they flow through it fast. If it was a steep slope I think it work better going uphill, but don't really know.

Nicky said:

Lebanon Livestock Auction. There's more I'd share in a PM.

Nicky, I built one with my brother last spring in my shop. The main frame is built out of 2 3/8 drill stem and 2 7/8 runners, it is fully adjustable using greasable bushings. He wanted only the bottom portion sheeted so you could give shots through the alley and didn't need a cat walk. It's the best way to build them, because if you get a critter that goes down you can easily pop the bar out that holds it to desired width letting the critter get back up. :wink:
We also built a tub out of drill stem that is darn handy. I'm going to see if he will post some pictures for you .

AC Diesel said:
Nicky, I built one with my brother last spring in my shop. The main frame is built out of 2 3/8 drill stem and 2 7/8 runners, it is fully adjustable using greasable bushings. He wanted only the bottom portion sheeted so you could give shots through the alley and didn't need a cat walk. It's the best way to build them, because if you get a critter that goes down you can easily pop the bar out that holds it to desired width letting the critter get back up. :wink:
We also built a tub out of drill stem that is darn handy. I'm going to see if he will post some pictures for you .

Pictures would be awesome! That's exactly what we used for the corral. We'll be waiting anxiously for pictures :)

Here is the tub and alley I got out of my brother on a labor trade deal. It is well built and just the way I wanted it. I only wanted it sheeted part way up so I can work with both feet on firm footing and I can also give shots in the alley and not have to catch every critter. As he said the main frame is drillstem pipe and the square tubing on the alley is 2".

Here the alley is opened up

Now it is closed down

Where it all happens on greaseable bushings

A nice sliding end gate on the alley

Here's the tub

Its a 10' swinging gate made of 2" 10 gauge tubing

All the rest of the tub is 2 3/8 drill stem

I think his welds look better covered by my paint job :lol2:

I would love a set up like that but with the number of animals I run it would never be justified.

The sliding end gate keeps them in the alley. I do not want any no backs hanging in my alley.

George said:
I would love a set up like that but with the number of animals I run it would never be justified.

George I likely can't justify this set up with my numbers either, but my kids love to help with the cattle and I needed safer facilities than what I was using. Maybe someday I will have the numbers to justify it.

To be honest I haven't yet run the herd through it, only doctored a couple critters in it. So I cannot say if it will cause animal hesitation to get on the concrete, it never seemed to bother the couple critters I doctored. My place can get very soft and muddy which is why I wanted it on concrete. I will be preconditioning and preging soon which will be the first real test.

I looks beautifully built for sure. I have never used a straight squeeze alley, in our immediate area they are all curved and solid.

Latest posts