• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Allflex Tags

Help Support Ranchers.net:

http://www.allflexusa.com/visual_id/visual.php

there ya go Northern Rancher

also while we're at it.. has anyone had trouble with the tag backs. We've bought new all flex tags the last two times we've worked calves and have a problem with the tag backs bending and crunching. We've gotten several new needles for the pliers with no luck. Seems to just be how ya hold yer mouth while doing the taggin whether or not it is successful. Aggrivatin none the less. Out of a 25 count bag I bet we loose 5 to 10 backs .

Have you ever tried Temple tags? I got hooked on them about 25 years ago and feel they have a great product at a very reasonable price. templetag.com out of Temple Texas. I have several neighbors that have tags missing or broken so that only the stem is left but I have several cows that are 15 years old and their original calf tag is still intact although after about 8 years you need to reink the numbers.
I have not tried any of their electronic tags but if they follow the same quality I'm sure they will be good.

I've used the original temple tags for a few years as the initial tag at calving-really like the tags but the tagger quite frankly sucks lol.

Have you tried the new tagger that they came out with about three years ago :???: - - - I always got along with the old tagger and keep it as a back-up but the new one is much better :D

Jersey Lilly,

Several years ago Allflex changed the backs, it requires a new pin on the tagger or else you will get lots of broken necks on the tag backs. I think the new ones are designed for the tag back to penetrate the ear rather than the pin on the tagger. Idea was fresh tag back vs pin would be cleaner I believe.

Most stores sell new tagger, but I was able to get "replacement Pins" and put on my old tagger,

PPRM

We changed the pin in the tagger but still seem to have trouble with the bent backs. Bought several of the pins and have changed thinking maybe it was faulty. Still no luck. ?????

If you changed pins, maybe you got some bags of old backs??? The reason I am insitent on this is it IS THE SAME PROBLEM WE HAD......However, it doesn't mean the same source of the problem.

I would try one of two things at this point. Talk to the store where you bought them....Find the number or contact info for All-Flex. The reps in the Northwest are pretty good and I would say they definetly don't want you to continue with the same problems. Before calling, have a resolution in mind. Any time talking to a company this is important. In your case, I would say the resolution would be find the problem and fix and a couple of bags of backs...

Good luck as I remember how frustrating the problem was for me,

PPRM

FWIW, we use the Z-Tags because my husband likes the applicator far and above anything else he has ever used. It has some kind of a break-away so that if the calf jerks his head, it doesn't split his ear.

The tag retention is much better than anything else we have found as well. I believe Farnam makes the Z-tags.

this last workin, two brand new bags of tags and backs and a new needle, still lost a bunch of backs, think I will contact all flex with my problem and see what they suggest

Since we have rectified our problem, I have never had occasion to look at anything else. I'm not sure if these Z-tags are available in the Pacific Northwest, be interested to see some,

PPRM

i have had bad luck with tag retension on z-tags.

On the bent backs on the allflex tags, make sure you have the tag centered to the pin or else the pin won't go through the hole.

We have just finished tagging the calves had a heck of a time with bent pins on 2 bags of tags. Went to looking and found on the 2 bags that were giving us trouble that were giving us trouble the backs were not beveled. So we had to hand bevel each one or it bent the pins.Complained to the allflex rep and he said to send them back not likely to much troublr to get them back.
Adios :mad:

Andy said:
i have had bad luck with tag retension on z-tags.

On the bent backs on the allflex tags, make sure you have the tag centered to the pin or else the pin won't go through the hole.

Andy- Same here...I have been using Y-Tex, but switched this year to the Z-tags...Thought I'd try the one piece - and maybe wouldn't always be losing the buttons or have them sticking me when I forget them in my pocket--But I see I am losing about double what I did with the Y-Tex....Used to lose a few Y-Tex-usually tore the ear out...The Z-tags don't do that- just fall out...... :?

Northern Rancher said:
I was trying to see if they marketed a reader for their E.I.D tags but I can't find one on their site.

Try kane vet supplies for an alflex tag reader, if you are in Canada

OT and Andy, I can't understand why you are having problems with the Z-tags. They are far and away the best we have used. Are you putting them in holes made by prior tags, such as cows? That probably could be part of the problem.

Are you using them in calves ears? My husband really likes the fact that he doesn't have to pack the buttons around either. Gosh, everyone in this area is sold on the Z-tags.

I really am puzzled by your comment. We did get a bag that the end on a few fell off behind the ear, and the tags fell out, but that was a bad batch. Heck, maybe you got into that same batch. We have used them for years with no problem at all. But we did have a little of that this year. You can see that the end isn't quite right before you apply the tag. If you have any left, take a look at the end on the back of the tag.

Let me know what you find, I am curious.

Latest posts