• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Aluminum Trailers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Reaction score
We have always pulled steel trailers since we switched from 2 ton trucks. We live in a moderate climate and road salt isn't a huge issue most of the time. Our old steel trailer is a 91 model and it's best days are way in the past.

A neighbor has a 94 model aluminum trailer for sale. I can't remember the brand. Those of you that pull aluminum do you like them and what should I look for as far as wear and tear? Visually the trailer is in amazing condition.

Any help would be appreciated.

we have a 24ft Wilson, and i wouldn't care to pull anything else. we also have a 18ft steel Circle D 4horse slant that is used mainly for going to rodeos. the Wilson pulls much easier. IMO, Wilson's are at the top in terms of aluminum trailers. i'm sure nobody will disagree with me :roll: :wink:

as far as elvaluating an aluminum, i guess look it over the same as you would a steel one. check the floors, kick the tires, make sure all the gates swing, slide and lock like they are suppose to, etc...

We just switched to an aluminum trailer, and it really pulls nice. However, since the floor is solid, nothing drains, and you have to immediately clean it out or else it turns into a ice skating rink... hopefully you're in a more tropical region than me. So far I do like it though. Good luck with your purchase :) .

We have a aluminum Charmac trailer that tows great, it is a lot lighter that our steel trailer which makes it better on fuel, and a easy-er pull. it is also nicer to clean because you don't have to worry about peeling paint with the pressure washer. Like BMR said, check for oxidation where ever the Aluminum contacts the steel and check for cracked welds.

Check the doors and hinges I pull a 92 featherlite and am starting to have problems with the hinges wearing down so the door sit lower than normal. You will how much lighter it is verses a steel one.

js1234 said:
Justin said:
IMO, Wilson's are at the top in terms of aluminum trailers.

Have a pair of 18' Wilson's and agree completely.

They might be the top trailer, but their dealership in our area sure isn't top in anything :x . We tried ordering a Wilson, but never could get very good follow-up from them, so decided on a Featherlite instead since they were more interested in selling us a trailer.

We don't have many aluminum dealers in our area most guys run steel trailers. Thanks for the suggestions

4Diamond said:
We don't have many aluminum dealers in our area most guys run steel trailers. Thanks for the suggestions

do not know were in Missouri you are....but I live in SEMO bought mine in Mountain Grove 120 miles away

they are worth the drive

here is listings

http://www.equinenow.com/trailers/featherlitemissouri.htm

bought my at the WEHR FORD DEALER

we have a 24 ft. elite and it pulls like a dream. bought it new in 08 and have absolutely no problems with it. we still have 2 steel trailers ( 20 ft. gn stidham brand and a 16 ft. bp stidham) that we pull up and down our old dirt and gravel county roads. i never thought that the aluminum trailers could pull that much easier but they really do. i think that stress cracks would be more of a problem on these trailers in our area than the corrosion.

Thought it might be of interest,the best selling brand of livestock boxes in the UK,made not far from me.We have a dp 120.

Sorry can't get link to work.www.iwt.co.uk/[/url]

Latest posts