• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

AM (Arthrogryposis Multiplex) ??-?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DOC HARRIS

Reaction score
Having been involved in several very in-depth discussions relating to Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM), also known as "Curly Calf Syndrome, and have read with increased interest the concern and anxiety which accompanies these discussions with Angus breeders, I find it curiously interesting that very few (almost NONE) of the contributors to CT and/or Ranchers.net seem to be alarmed regarding the future of their genetics! One of the Forum's with which I relate is HIGHLY involved with how the AAA is handling the problem. But NOT the folks on this Forum.

The lack of interest (understanding?) seems odd to me, inasmuch as the situation involves the entire future of Angus breeders, and how they MUST manage their BU$INE$$ in light of this Genetic apparition which has invaded the beef cattle industry recently.

Burying your head in the sand will not make the problem - or your future genetic decisions - disappear.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS said:
Having been involved in several very in-depth discussions relating to Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM), also known as "Curly Calf Syndrome, and have read with increased interest the concern and anxiety which accompanies these discussions with Angus breeders, I find it curiously interesting that very few (almost NONE) of the contributors to CT and/or Ranchers.net seem to be alarmed regarding the future of their genetics! One of the Forum's with which I relate is HIGHLY involved with how the AAA is handling the problem. But NOT the folks on this Forum.

The lack of interest (understanding?) seems odd to me, inasmuch as the situation involves the entire future of Angus breeders, and how they MUST manage their BU$INE$$ in light of this Genetic apparition which has invaded the beef cattle industry recently.

Burying your head in the sand will not make the problem - or your future genetic decisions - disappear.

DOC HARRIS

DOC,
We have had a few discussions about it in the past, some of the catch phrases are:
bull of the month club
bigger,better,faster EPD chasers
greedy, unethical purebred breeders and semen distibutors
its Bush fault somehow
I doubt you'll find much conversation about it on here as it goes south pretty fast...hope that helps? :)

Doc: You forgot hydro, FCS, long headed dwarf, (different from short-headed dwarf) and short penis syndrome.

If I am not mistaken these are all identified genetic abnormalities that are out there in the Angus breed. Of course other breeds have there own just that most of them havn't been expressed often enough for there to be a real problem.

As a commercial breeder have a plan I think that will allow me to manage around most of the defects but you won't see me investing any of my cash on genetics that are not proven to be free of these problems.
I have a good friend that is a small registered Angus breeder that has his ear to the ground and I a least know what the latest rumors floating around are.

Kola: I am not trying to indict the whole Angus breed as there are plenty of good cattle to go around but anything that prevents my cows from getting pregnant, birthing a healthy calf, and weaning a healthy calf is cost prohibitive. The above mentioned defects are a serious detriment to anyone raising cattle and using Angus genetics its that simple. If you think these matters are something to make fun about then those of us in the commercial cattle business will have to look elsewhere for seedstock and semen.

For those that have registered cattle or commercials that know their pedigrees and have a large number of carriers it would be of great concern. With the few registered cattle I have nothing has shown as an AM carrier and I don't think HD will be a problem for me either. If there is a problem it would only affect a couple animals. (hopefully) I have been avoiding any potential sire that could be a problem. I haven't put alot of thought into whether AAA in handling it correctly. It is important they keep the membership informed and hope they listen to valid concerns. If I did have a concern I hope they would listen.

Right now my concern is finding pedigrees with good teat and udder quality. (with a good disposition) This still ranks as number one concern.

Horseless
You might want to check with Robert Groom, Tulleyfergus angus. I visit his herd in NY saturday and saw some awesome females with great udders and disposition. He had a bunch of daughters by 2 home raised bulls that make some great females. I believe said he was going to custom collect the bulls for insurance sake incase something happens to one. He can be reached at <[email protected]>

Latest posts