• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Amanda's Photo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
Spent today workin with another 4H member that was having trouble gettin her photo's mounted. County round up is comin up along with District and State. Amanda has her's already to turn in tomorrow at the Extention agents office. but she's still clickin, she took this picture this evenin, we'd gone to feed her heifers, and come back home, when she noticed the moon......she made me drive extra fast so she could get in the house and grab the camera. I took her back out to the pasture so she could take this one. She'll probably enter it at the County fair in June.
2006-02-12-006-Amandas.jpg

Jinglebob? Where ARE you?

sw? Where ARE you?

Saddletramp? Where ARE you?

Anyone else? Where ARE you?

We need some more poems to read!!!! :D

some where over the hay rake, way up high,
I see the moon coming up and all I can do is sigh.

Lilly, my husband says those rods that stick out the back, make the BEST branding irons. There is nothing better. Hard to find those old rakes anymore to make irons out of.

So there is another possible project for your kids. Find the rakes and custom make branding irons. Make the letters out the the rake and use a piece of rod for the handle.

There ain't many of them rakes around here either, I don't know why this one has sat in the same spot for the last 20 years I know. Prolly alot longer than that. Most that ya see these days have been drug up into someone's yard for a yard ornament, but the comment about it bein good to make brands out of, got me thankin. Mr Lilly's other set of grandparents place has a old equipment graveyard......I might hafta git out and go pokin around out there n see what I can find. Never know. I do remember the last time drivin by there, there was an old John Deere hay wagon, I'd love to have and restore. But who knows what else might be layin around out there.
Thanks for all the comments on her photo. I'll try to post the one's she's turnin in today for the County, District and State 4-H roundups.

Great picture.
I have seen braning irons made from those rack cleaners. interesting about branding irons. One time my hired man decided to make a new branding iron for me. He got it all made then discovered he had made it backward. so he made another. Then do you know what? He found that if he had just turned it over it would have been right.

Neat photo
That photo brought back memories. I started my long haying career raking scatterns' with a twelve foot rake, pulled by a mismatched team, I was raking behind a power sweep so I learned pretty fast how to rake
scatterns'

Came up with this poem.

Old Rake

Just a picture of an old dump rake,
sitting long on meadow ground.
A rusty worn out old horse rake,
with tall grass grown all around.

Slow but sure, it did the job,
making windrows thick and straight.
Technology and wanting to hurry up,
that was that what sealed its fate.

The family's kids likely rode that rake
Though it seemed to take forever.
Before they each got quite big enough,
so their foot could reach the lever.

No one knows the story of that rake,
and how it came to be left there.
Perhaps they also discarded dreams,
and left that place, in despair.

As I think back along the years.
Back to when that rake was used.
My thinking brings some sadness,
Of how our way has been abused

by corporations and politicians,
corroded and corrupted by greed.
If anything could bring a change,
I figure there's a bunch of folks need

To maybe experience just a bit,
of how it was in those days.
Just maybe they would get to thinking
they'd do well to change their ways.

A lot of good old country values
lie idle there with that rake.
Like sealing a deal with nothing more,
than the spoken word, and a handshake.

Been There

I noticed I had a mistake in the poem I just sent, so will resend it. Just ignore the first. The spelling and grammer checker wouldn't let it send with the verses intact, so I changed it some and made a mistake.

Old Rake

Just a picture of an old dump rake,
sitting long on meadow ground.
A rusty worn out old horse rake,
with tall grass grown all around.

Slow but sure, it did the job,
making windrows thick and straight.
Technology and wanting to hurry up,
It was that what sealed its fate.

The family's kids likely rode that rake
Though it seemed to take forever.
Before they each got quite big enough,
so their foot could reach the lever.

No one knows the story of that rake,
and how it came to be left there.
Perhaps they also discarded dreams,
and left that place, in despair.

As I think back along the years,
Back to when that rake was used.
My thinking brings some sadness,
of how our way has been abused

by corporations and politicians,
corroded and corrupted by greed.
If anything could bring a change,
I figure there's a bunch of folks need

To maybe experience just a bit,
of how it was in those days.
Just maybe they would get to thinking
they'd do well to change their ways.

A lot of good old country values
lie idle there with that rake.
Like sealing a deal with nothing more,
than the spoken word, and a handshake.

Been There

Been There said:
Neat photo
That photo brought back memories. I started my long haying career raking scatterns' with a twelve foot rake"

What are scatterns' ?

Scatterins' are the hay that is left after gathering the windrow with the hay sweep. The skill of the sweeper determined how many scatterins' there were.
Still a few sweeps used, but not many. There isn't much hay stacked with a slide stacker anymore.

Nice picture LIL Lilly,maybe you can talk your mama into useing that rake this summer LOL,I can just see her sittin in that pan seat behind a good mule...............good luck

Latest posts