• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

AMI strongly disagrees with court opinion on R-CALF case

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleAnnie

Reaction score
Yeah, it's me again. Killing time till the next check for new calves with another darn cut and paste news article for your reading pleasure.
~

Legal/Regulatory News
AMI strongly disagrees with court opinion on R-CALF case

by John Gregerson on 3/4/05 for Meatingplace.com

The American Meat Institute expressed "strong disagreement" with an opinion issued yesterday by U.S. District Court Judge Richard Cebull in the case of R-CALF v. USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. (See Canadian border to remain closed, R-CALF's injunction granted, Meatingplace.com, March 2, 2005.) Cebull granted R-CALF a preliminary injunction blocking a USDA rule, slated to go into effect March 7, that would reopen the U.S. beef market to Canadian beef products and cattle under 30 months of age.

"It is regrettable that the court has accepted as fact some of the assertions included in R-CALF's pleadings. We believe that when many of these claims are subjected to full scrutiny, they will ultimately prove wrong," said AMI Senior Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and General Counsel Mark Dopp.

"An irony in this case is that R-CALF considers only its own short-term economic gains," Dopp said. "Long-term, R-CALF's strategy will backfire as Canada expands its slaughter capacity, grows its own beef production and processing capacity and becomes a competitor to the U.S. rather than a partner in what was a highly successfully, integrated North American beef industry. If this unfortunate scenario becomes a reality, R-CALF has only itself to blame."

Dopp said he eagerly awaits a ruling in AMI's separate legal action, initiated December 30, 2004, in U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia. That action challenged the continued enforcement of USDA's ban on imports of Canadian cattle 30 months of age and older. He said AMI's case is a separate and very different case based upon distinctly different issues.

~

Take care.

ps. I've added a link to an interesting page from the AMI site.

http://www.canadianbeef.info/rt.htm

Dont you worry about your cut and paste jobs ANNIE I enjoy reading them,as a matter of fact I believe you to be one of the few canadians that was'nt born and bred into a packer program, those canuckle heads been saleing cattle into packer programs so long they are brain washed.........good luck

Haymaker who harvest your cattle if a packer doesn't? Or are you one of these guys that raises pets and don't like to have your animals thought of as food? :p

Tam said:
Haymaker who harvest your cattle if a packer doesn't? Or are you one of these guys that raises pets and don't like to have your animals thought of as food? :p

You know how I market my cattle.And after I get my check I dont give a tinkers damn what the feeders do with them,they like packer programs I dont..............good luck

Latest posts