• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

And it begins

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Because of hay shortage and expense I waited to start buying the one and done cows. I started yesterday. I picked up 10 cows at the sale. All broken mouth cows that are bred 7 or 7+. They averaged weighing 1,134 and cost $838. The good new of the day was those big fat irrigated pasture cows weighing 1,400 to 1,800 pounds got bought by the kill buyers. They were bred and getting sold by the head. But it worked out to being in the upper 60 cents range. My catch of the day. I need another 34 head.
P2092786.JPG
P2092787.JPG

They look like they are in pretty good shape! A neighbor just sent his April/ May steer calves through the ring. They had been left out with the cows on droughty pasture until three weeks ago. The top end weighed a little over 550 and brought almost $2.00 lb. Around $1100 US dollars a head! They were definitely "green"! Steers over 6 wt sold for at least $100 less per head from what I can decipher from the auction yard report. If the weather and markets cooperate, there could be some serious money to be made off of short term cows!

what does everyone think about Pharo Cattle Co. and their livestock and programs?

what does everyone think about Pharo Cattle Co. and their livestock and programs?
Not for me, you can buy the same bloodline cattle at pretty much any bull sale. Management to create a 1200 lb two year old bull can be done by anyone. Their feet still have problems. Have seen quite a few coming through the local ring here. They generally are thick and deep with not much frame.

Not for me, you can buy the same bloodline cattle at pretty much any bull sale. Management to create a 1200 lb two year old bull can be done by anyone. Their feet still have problems. Have seen quite a few coming through the local ring here. They generally are thick and deep with not much frame.
who do you suggest getting some from and do you think he's right about the smaller frame cows being more economical?

I have been to the Pharo Bull sale. Was not impressed. Bought one bull and he was okay, but he wasn't straight Pharo breeding, he was a Rito 707. A friend bought several for a couple of years. He doesn't go there any more.
At the time I went, the 2 year old bulls looked starved, bad hair, etc. There's no way I could bring one home. But people paid $5000 for those bulls and that was quite a few years ago. I think he has a loyal following.

when you take a blood test for pregnancy, what lab do you use?

who do you suggest getting some from and do you think he's right about the smaller frame cows being more economical?
Moderate frame yes. Small frame, no. Every breeder has moderately framed bulls in a sale. I prefer to choose the middle out of any sale for Angus or Hereford bulls. I want top performers in my Charolais bulls.

The motley crew waiting to go through the chute early this afternoon. That spotted Simme cow was the only one I got bought at a bred cow special last week. The other 20 are ones I got this week at what was billed as "normal" sale. I got 20 BM cows for me and 22 full mouth cows for B. We will work all of them this afternoon. I am glad B is bringing the boys with to work these. Some of these old desert cows from down around Burns appear to be a bit high headed.

P3042793.JPG

That picture was as close as I got this morning. About noon I decided to go get a couple bales for the stocker calves. As I drove by the motley crew I glanced in there. There is a new calf!!! Wait there are two calves. I just bought these girls on Wednesday.
Now we are trying to figure out which one calved. Watched a calf nurse on one cow. The other cows? One possible. A little blood on her and one side of the udder is lower than the other. One who was really wanting a calf was a no. Are they twins? We left both calves, the one for sure cow, and the possible in the corral. We will see.

About two weeks ago one of my fine one and done cows prolapsed. There is a reason these old girls are at the sale. You could see the scars on her where she had been sewed up before. She hadn't calved yet so we had to pin her together. Well this morning there is a chunky looking Char cross calf laying beside her. I am calling this on a victory.

Fantastic.

I've been picking up some for the guy that winters and calves my cows. Been really conservative though as he has his parameters he's given me.

I got two older cows full black I turned to him for $675 out of Roseburg that were just under $1,000 pounds. One had a char calf the next week he described as half her size unassisted.

I feel if a guy can see quality through the age you can hit some home runs

Latest posts