• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

And we think we have troubles.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Boy does that ever bring back memories. Wasn't so many camera's out there in the '80s but I could have been at many of those happenings. I dropped a water truck in one of those same muskeg swamps. Wouldn't want to own the drilling rig that was on its side. Frac trucks and hoes are a fraction of the disaster that would be.

Back in the 1960's, the movie "How the West Was Won" had come out, with it's all-star cast. Several families of us had Sunday dinner together, and we all went into Gordon to watch a matinee performance of this movie. There was quite a long series of train-wreck scenes with lots of action and destruction. My uncle commented while all this was taking place, "This reminds me of some of my haying experiences." He was kind of right. :roll: :)

Unfortunately we lost a few boys on the Cold Lake Air Weapons Range - that muskeg can be bad stuff - even when you think it is frozen - there is a good chance it is not.

BC

Thanks for posting Big Muddy....... I think. Hits pretty close to home for me. Funny though how the frac trucks are such a high percentage of the screw ups. You'd think they could do something about that. I laughed out loud when I got to the picture of that Tri-Can truck with the front ripped off.
Those muskeg pictures are pretty sobering as I still spend much of my winters out in that stuff building roads and oil leases. Bad things generally happen fast.

Big Swede said:
Is most of that operator error or are the roads that slimy?

They can be that slimy and everyone is pressured to get it done faster. Not too many have never has some sort of wreck. Of course only the damaging ones get pictures taken. I laughed out loud at the front end of the truck pulled off as well. Many of the trucks out there have cables running underneath running from back to front to pull on and hold everything together. Silver, stay safe out there, I went through only once and it sure can happen fast. Fortunately help was near and nothing was lost. Always looked forward to driving on the lake ice roads and felt sorry for those that had to make and clear them. I am glad that chapter of my life is over, it is best left to the young folks.

My nephew rolled a truck in that crap right before Xmas last yr.Almost went over an embankment,he says the muskeg is pure slime! Now that I think of it,his job is north of Ft. St John...maybe you've worked with him and a couple other guys from here Silver :???:

And hubby wonders why I worry about him every time he has to go up North for a job. Those logging roads and ice roads are the sh@ts and you always hear of something happening. Bad enough he works with explosives.. :roll:

He is in Rainbow Lake now and I guess they had to get special units in to pull in all the pick ups and line trucks to the lease..I don't know what they are but will try and post pics when he gets back next week.

This oilfield stuff is over my head, I think I will just stick to cattle.. :lol:

hillsdown said:
And hubby wonders why I worry about him every time he has to go up North for a job. Those logging roads and ice roads are the sh@ts and you always hear of something happening. Bad enough he works with explosives.. :roll:

He is in Rainbow Lake now and I guess they had to get special units in to pull in all the pick ups and line trucks to the lease..I don't know what they are but will try and post pics when he gets back next week.

This oilfield stuff is over my head, I think I will just stick to cattle.. :lol:

I stood in a Travel Agency in Perth Australia with another guy I worked with. There were two jobs that needed one of us. Rainbow lake and Rio. We flipped a coin and I lost and got Rainbow, he went to Rio. :cry:

per said:
hillsdown said:

I stood in a Travel Agency in Perth Australia with another guy I worked with. There were two jobs that needed one of us. Rainbow lake and Rio. We flipped a coin and I lost and got Rainbow, he went to Rio. :cry:

Coulda been worse.... you coulda ended up in Zama City :lol:

Mrs.Greg said:
My nephew rolled a truck in that crap right before Xmas last yr.Almost went over an embankment,he says the muskeg is pure slime! Now that I think of it,his job is north of Ft. St John...maybe you've worked with him and a couple other guys from here Silver :???:

I may have worked with them Mrs.G, or at least in the same area. If they run heavy equipment and I haven't worked with them, odds are I will, especially if they ever find themselve in or near a place called Jedney.
Or if they operate wells in that area I may have run across them. Who am I looking for?

I put time in Zama as well. It isn't the end of the world but you can see it from there.

Silver said:
Mrs.Greg said:

I may have worked with them Mrs.G, or at least in the same area. If they run heavy equipment and I haven't worked with them, odds are I will, especially if they ever find themselve in or near a place called Jedney.
Or if they operate wells in that area I may have run across them. Who am I looking for?
They'd be keeping the machines running,machinest's Not sure of the company the boys work for but three weeks in one out. Nick Mcnabb-Murray Thichia{sp}. are the boys names,Nicks my nephew.

My daughter worked in Zama City,her sis in law lives there,sounds like a fun place.... :wink:

Those folks must make awful good money to risk sinking in muskeg and sliding on those icy roads,looks like alot of support crews are needed to get to the actual job site.

Sorry Mrs. G, I haven't knowingly run into them, but there is lots of folks working in the patch around here. I will try to remember the names and keep my eyes and ears open though.

Those folks must make awful good money to risk sinking in muskeg and sliding on those icy roads,looks like alot of support crews are needed to get to the actual job site.

Some guys do alright. The kids driving those frac trucks are only making in the $25/hour range. Those guys hauling drilling rigs do better, usually between $30 and $40 per hour when they are on straight time. Most times the roads don't look like they do in those pictures though, often times dust is the enemy :wink:
[/code]

Latest posts