• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angus Bull sales '07 vs. '06

Help Support Ranchers.net:

efb

Reaction score
There is another topic running on here that sounded like bull prices were in the ditch. So I checked out some sale numbers of 3 breeders you'all might be familiar with.

TC ranch, Franklin, Nebr.
Feb. '07 23 older bulls ...$3.891 . 169 yrl. bulls .... $4,739
Feb. "06 204 bulls, $4,473

TK ranch, Gordon, Nebr.
Feb. '07 58 older bulls $2,882 86 yrl. bulls .... $2,788
Feb. '06 " " $3,435 " " $3,274

Van Dyke, Manhattan, MT
'07 .... $3,298
'06 .... $3,141

Looks like TC and Van Dyke were comparable to last year. TK was down.

Van Dyke had their sale, wow, missed that one..... Wonder if my neighbor bought a bunch of bulls from him again.. Usually buys a few a year from him, bought 20 calving ease bulls one year.. I'll have to ask him tomorrow.

I went back and looked a little more at sales results of yrl. Angus bulls.
2007 vs. 2006

TC ranch, Franklin, Neb. ............. up $266
Van Dyke, Manhattan, MT ............ up $157
TK ranch, Gordon, Neb ............... down $486
Deep Creek/Millar, Newell, SD .... down $719
Rafter U Cross, Quinn, SD ........ down $600
Hart Angus, Frederick SD ......... down $456

I don't know about any of the others, but that average on the Rafter U Cross doesn't count the 20 or so no sales. They are an expanding herd and as such had 30-40 more bulls than last year. They thought they got along real well considering the year. Tim Amdahl had 58 no sales on 102

I have been to a few bull sales this year and the lucky ones are those that sell all their bulls, no matter what the average was. A lot of producers are taking home a lot of their bulls or selling them at pound price. It doesn't even matter the breed.

Around here we are in a severe drought (like a lot of others in the country) and we are taking the wait and see approach. It we can get any spring moisture and some grass we will then buy some bulls. If it doesn't rain then we will be selling more cows and will have plenty of bulls for the few cows we have left. Only one problem, if we get the rain/snow the late bull sales will be so high it will take a big check to buy the bulls we want! :shock:

I think TC had a bull the WK bought for over $100,000. That kinda helps the ole average. I heard TK no saled around 40 bulls, that kinda doesn't.

I have a question for you guys. There is no right or wrong answer I just want your opionion... How many dollars can a person spend on one bull and have the bull pay for it's self?? Any breed...

katrina said:
I have a question for you guys. There is no right or wrong answer I just want your opionion... How many dollars can a person spend on one bull and have the bull pay for it's self?? Any breed...

That depends on several things..........

1- Is he to be covering commercial cows? - Prolly $3,000 to $4,000. But it's hard to put a value on a bull that sires those good daughters for replacements.

2- Is he going in a purebred herd with semen sales a part of his worth? - No telling. Some guys will never recoup their investment on the HIGH DOLLAR ones and some will make a pretty penny....................

Bull buying is always a gamble and it is a shame to me that commercial guys don't spend more time researching a bull purchase.

Most of them walk by the pens 30 minutes before a sale and make their decision solely on his mature phenotype. I would encourage them to go and see the calves they will be buying for bulls at the seedstock breeders'. Get to know the mamas of these calves. See what kind of feeding regimen they are on.

OK, I've rambled enough..................

I think so much depends on what you are going to use the Bull for.. For example, you can say "I really like that lot #4, I could collect him, AI all my cows to him for a few years and clean up with him so that will make him worth X amount of more dollars just because I have 3-4 buck semen (Not including purchase price) instead of 15-25 buck semen. How much that adds on to your bull price would depend but if you were AIing 400 cows or something like that for two years that could be a bit of money added on to the top. Of course, you are taking a risk on a bull that is unproven and you might end up with one heck of a train wreck if your selection was poor.

But if you are strikley going to use him as a pasture bull, perhaps even just a terminal sire I remember the 3 steer calves should equal the price you pay on a bull. I regret not asking the fellow who told me this if he went 3 550 pound weaned steers, 3 feeder steers or 3 fat steers because it would make a difference.. but say around the 3000 area on the outside.. That being said, I have spent a bit more on bulls in the past but no 100,000 or even 10,000 dollar bulls walking around here... Unless someone wants to give me that much for one :lol: :lol:

A good bull that will cover alot of cows is worth more than most commercial guys are willing to pay. If the bull is sub par and not an active breeder he is worth very little. I have bulls that I have spent around 5000 for and have gotten around 300 natual calves out of. Those bulls have paid for themselves.

The most expensive bulls I ever owned didn't cost too much to buy. I pretty much A'I everything and raise my own bulls to clean up with-I only buy 1 or 2 bulls a year at the most.

Latest posts