• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angus Bull to use AI?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WVGenetics

Reaction score
Any thoughts or suggestions on an Angus bull to use AI? I am looking for a bull that I can keep females out of that are going to have some longevity, not one of these huge 100 + YW EPD bulls or with 30 something pounds of milk, but something that is middle of the road. I'd like to stay away from EXT, Precision, New Design, Bando, Traveler 6807, Objective, and In Focus in the pedigree.

Cole Creek Black Cedar 46P AAA# 14496765
or
Cole Creek Cedar Ridge 1V AAA# 16134394

Both bulls have semen available for AI- and/or Cole Creek Angus Ranch is having their production sale March 28th- and have yearling sons of both in their sale.....

Oldtimer said:
or

Both bulls have semen available for AI- and/or Cole Creek Angus Ranch is having their production sale March 28th- and have yearling sons of both in their sale.....

I am aware of Black Cedar and have heard some good things about his calves. Do you know anything about his daughters that are in production now? I know of someone who used him back east here and has some calves coming now but he concerns me with a milk EPD of only 11 pounds.

WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
or

I am aware of Black Cedar and have heard some good things about his calves. Do you know anything about his daughters that are in production now? I know of someone who used him back east here and has some calves coming now but he concerns me with a milk EPD of only 11 pounds.

The closest I have is great granddaughters that are just calving for the first time this year... Everyone I have talked to has spoken highly of the Black Cedar daughters and the cows they make...Even some of those in the corncrib country of the midwest have had good things to say....

Cedars son Cedar Ridge 1V might give you a little more milk...Definitely has a pedigree that traces back several times to some cow makers like C H Quantum 6247 and Shoshone Intent KGEA27, and also Shoshone Encore 6310...Altho he only has daughters just starting into production...He is co-owned by Kevin Dietz of Sentinal Butte ND....

If I was you I'd give Greg Golden a call at 406-962-3743- and discuss your concerns... They have many daughters/granddaughters/and great granddaughters of the Black Cedar bull-- and he will give you a straight answer as to how he thinks both will work for you and your enviroment...

Thanks for the info Oldtimer. For me its just getting really hard to find bulls to use AI that will seperate you from everybody else. I really like what I've seen so far about the CAR Chinook 786 bull. You know anything about him?

WVGenetics said:
Thanks for the info Oldtimer. I have a buddy that did an internship last winter at Midland and is back out there working this winter. His family runs some Angus cows back here and after being out there last winter he decided to use Black Cedar some. I'm looking forward to seeing his calves. Its good for our area because most people have never even heard of him let alone used him. For me its just getting really hard to find bulls to use AI that will seperate you from everybody else. I really like what I've seen so far about the CAR Chinook 786 bull. You know anything about him?

Not really- except for what I read in the ads and what ABS has said in their promotions... I can't remember seeing any of his sons or daughters in any of the local sales I've gone to either...

Probably the reason I didn't look at the bull much is I'm not an Image Maker fan- and the +31 Milk....About +15 is what I call ideal- and I like to stay between +10 and +20---and anything in the 30's scares me as too extreme...

Oldtimer said:
Not really - except for what I read in the ads and what ABS has said in their promotions... I can't remember seeing any of his sons or daughters in any of the local sales I've gone to either...

Probably the reason I didn't look at the bull much is I'm not an Image Maker fan- and the +31 Milk....About +15 is what I call ideal- and I like to stay between +10 and +20---and anything in the 30's scares me as too extreme...

I don't think we're talking about the same bull. It's not the Chinook bull that ABS has. That's why I'm on here asking around. I don't like anything the bull studs are offering. The bull I'm talking about is a Really Windy 1205 out of a CAR Tracker 904 cow (15810174) and he's +26 on milk right now with no daugthers in production yet. I agree on the milk thing. We can handle low to mid 20's out here but I don't think there's a natural environment anywhere that can support milk EPD's in the 30's. Just won't work if you don't want a bunch open cows at preg check time or to feed the heck out of 'em to get them bred back.

WVGenetics said:
Oldtimer said:
Not really - except for what I read in the ads and what ABS has said in their promotions... I can't remember seeing any of his sons or daughters in any of the local sales I've gone to either...

I don't think we're talking about the same bull. It's not the Chinook bull that ABS has. That's why I'm on here asking around. I don't like anything the bull studs are offering. The bull I'm talking about is a Really Windy 1205 out of a CAR Tracker 904 cow (15810174) and he's +26 on milk right now with no daugthers in production yet. I agree on the milk thing. We can handle low to mid 20's out here but I don't think there's a natural environment anywhere that can support milk EPD's in the 30's. Just won't work if you don't want a bunch open cows at preg check time or to feed the heck out of 'em to get them bred back.

I can't help you a bit on that bull... I remember now when he sold for a fairly high price- but haven't really heard anything about him since- or seen any progeny...

If you don't mind using a low EPD bull DDA Fahren 22X should fit the bill for a female producer/calving ease bull that is outcross.

WYO HEELER said:
Mohnen Brushpopper 295, pretty darn good bull. :wink:

Can't use him...He's got New Design in his pedigree along with too much YW and milk and I'm guessing he's a little bigger framed than I'd like.

VLS_GUY said:
If you don't mind using a low EPD bull DDA Fahren 22X should fit the bill for a female producer/calving ease bull that is outcross.

Speaking of Diamond D bulls-and since you mentioned Really Windy- I just got the new Cole Creek Angus sale catalog- and saw an interesting bull they raised that they are using -- Cole Creek Bear 47V # 16152753 ... Sired by DDA Sure Enough 6D and out of Cole Creek Juanada Rita 084 (which happens to be an A A R Windy Ridge 523 daughter...

Its about the first time I've seen where Cole Creek added any OCC bloodlines-- but Tim Ohlde has said several times that the Cole Creek bloodlines work great with and compliment the Ohlde breeding...
Just a 3 year old bull- so unproven-- but he could be interesting to use on some heifers... They say they have used him on heifers and he calved real easy....

Old Timer black ceder goes back to the great cow C H Dixie of Erica 1019 if I am not mistaken, the mother of Emblazon,Great plains, and many more of Tims foundation cattle.

W.T said:
Old Timer black ceder goes back to the great cow C H Dixie of Erica 1019 if I am not mistaken, the mother of Emblazon,Great plains, and many more of Tims foundation cattle.

Yep and those were good old maternal bloodlines of the old Cedar Hills (John Hamiltons) herd.. My son has been able to pick up a few cows with quite a bit of C H Quantum 6247 (Black Cedars sire) in their pedigrees- and they sure are good cows....

I talked to one of 6247's owners a couple months ago- checking to see if their was anymore semen available- which he said as far as he knows their isn't...I'm keeping a bull calf out of a 6247 granddaughter that I'm going to use mostly on heifers this year....Lazy Bar B Juanda Rito 06X # 16741353

When you look thru the bloodlines of many of the "good cow" herds you seem to run into quite a bit of the Cedar Hills bred cattle...

I saw some CAR Chinook two year old bulls at Mike Sitz's sale in Burwell NE and they looked really good . Chinook is owned by Darwin Peckham of South Dakota if you want his phone no. I can get it for you . The Cole Creek bulls have done an out standing job for me but I haven't got any black cedars or cedar ridges yet should have some in a couple weeks

Old timer if my memory serves me correctly you have a daughter out of Cole Creek Seven Son 67T how is she looking?

Black Out said:
I saw some CAR Chinook two year old bulls at Mike Sitz's sale in Burwell NE and they looked really good . Chinook is owned by Darwin Peckham of South Dakota if you want his phone no. I can get it for you .

Mike Sitz's program interests me. I hope to get out there and visit with him. How big were those Chinook bulls frame wise? Were they sound, good on their feet? Do they have enough muscle?

Black Out said:
Old timer if my memory serves me correctly you have a daughter out of Cole Creek Seven Son 67T how is she looking?

Yep a Cole Creek Seven Son 67T out of Juanada Rita 86R 16453096 (mgs HD Dunn High Mountain 2222)...She came thru the winter in good shape- is really quiet (actually a pest at times looking for a cake handout) is all bagged up and looks like she could have her first calf in next few days..

My son bought her and the Lock n Load daughter 16453125 out of Cole Creek Juanada Rain 29T ( G D A R Rainmaker 340 daughter- Black Cedar great granddaughter) last spring at Cole Creeks sale... And both had truly been "roughed" threw the winter- and everyone I talked with agreed that last years heifers were probably in the roughest shape for condition of any previous sale...
But ironically when those heifers got on grass they took right off and shined up fast-- and apparently bred up fast as they both appear to be the first of the heifers that will calve ( bulls went in to make the due date today-- altho the Juanada Rain heifer has had me thinking she would calve for the last week)...

NR- the Cole Creek sale is March 28th at the Midland Bull Test in Columbus... No website-- but I bet if you called Greg at 406-962-3743, he'd throw one in the mail for you...

Latest posts