• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angus Heifer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Breeder

Reaction score
Picture007.jpg

Heifer was pictured at 12 months old. She is a daughter of Bon View New Design 1407 out of GAR Precision 1680 daughter. She is working well in the Embryo Transfer program

I like the ample rib she has .To me fleshing ability is important.We have been using the heck out of New Design 878 plus have added several of his sons this year.

She is a nice heifer. Back in yesteryear or yestercentury, when I was a 4-H member and judging livestock, I would maybe say, "If I was to improve upon this nice beefy and feminine heifer, I would like to see her have a stronger and straighter topline." :? :)

I know what you are saying, Soapweed, but it looks to me like they are holding her head up awfully high and her hip shows that there is a lot of growth left in her. (But I'm not sure, and I wouldn't argue the point. :wink: )

This whole topic has been interesting to me because the New Design cattle I have seen are not thick, but are rather hard-doing cattle. And that would be magnified using Precision. They both excel in carcass traits, however.

OK, BEAT ME UP GUYS. I said I was interested in this thread. One can always learn, can't they? can't they? can't they? :shock: :roll: :!: :???:

I never got her out on the road. She just didn't look right when the opportunities came along. Soapweed you are correct on the topline. The heifer is eighteen months old and fianally filled into her hip structure. Faster Horses, as to the observation you made on the N.D. cattle and the Precisions. We run about 100 New Designs and 50 or 60 Precisions, and the New Design O36's tend to be on the raily side as do the 1680's however the sons (1407, 878, 2V1, E161, and Future Direction) Seem to have the capacity and muscle development to please me. Faster horses you were also correct on the carcass data, the heifer had a very impressive ultrasound. She weighed 1005 on ultrasound day (365 days of age) and had a 12 sq in ribeye, an IMF of 4.6, and only .3 inches of fat on her ribs and .4 inches on her rump.
I would be intrested what you guys think of New Design's as well as Precision's since we have focused our entire breeding and Embryo programs around those 2 bulls and their high accuracy sons.

I've wondered how the disposition were on those cattle as a whole.

How about structure? There has been some structure problems with New Design and very noticable in 1407.

In our commercial herd, we have stayed away from those bloodlines. I have heard the sons are thicker than the parent line. Easy-fleshing is a big deal where we live.

But I'm open to the positives of these cattle, and I do know the carcass is VERY POSITIVE. I just don't want to give up maternal, easy-fleshing, thick cattle for carcass. I want all traits in moderation.

I noticed in ABS, they promoted Magnitude as a good cross on New Design and Precision cattle. We used Magnitude on our heifers and I think he would be a good cross as they recommend.

Faster Horses,

As with all planned matings there are a few types of cattle that just will not work with any of these bulls. We have noticed that if you are going to breed a cow to 1407 then she needs to be very easy fleshing and have a lot of extension through her shoulders. In the case of 1680 the cow needs to have a lot of guts and a pretty good EPD for scrotal size, as 1680 will almost breed the nuts right out of them. We have not had any disposition problems with N.D' or Precision's as a matter of fact they proably halter break easier than any other sire group we deal with(especilly EXT) As far as a good outcross to use on those two lines yo might look at GAR Expectation 4915 (Select Sires) I only bred 5 cows to him and ended up with 4 calves and have been pleased.. The oldest just turned a year old with the 3 remaning just 6 months old. Seem to have a lot of growth. There maybe just a little bit of fire in these calves as Expectation was sired by EXT, but I don't have enough experience with them to tell.

You sound like a very honest breeder. We can use all those we can get!

Appreciate your comments. I didn't think there were dispostion problems in that line of cattle, but just thought I would ask.

I looked at Genex book tonight. There is an interesting sounding 1407 son there,Sitz New Design 349M; out of an 8180 granddaughter. He really shows alot of volume. It says, "349M adds more rib shape and real world value than most 1407 sons."

Mature frame size: 6 (I like that!) Scrotal 40.5@ 1 yr.
74 lb. BW.

Do you know about this bull?

I have used alot of New Design(036 & 878). I like the 036s better i will get some pictures of them. I have some double breed 036's and they are very femine easy keeping cattle, but alot of that comes from the dams side. I raised my own 036 son who is about a frame 4 and weighs 1900lbs. He is the sire of all of my linebred New designs.

Latest posts