• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Angus Heifers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Breeder

Reaction score
These are our 2 leadoff sale heifers for next weekend. The big one is a Midland x 1407, and the little one is a Special Design L309 x 234D. The granddam of the little on is the dam of GAR Precision 1680. What does everyone think?

XXBlackbirdP03.jpg

R02.jpg

Were you holding an ear of corn just out of camera range???

I bought several Angus hiefers this year weighing about 725 @ the first of January. They look so small next to the Charolis - - - what should they weigh at breeding? I don't want to push them to fast and cause problems with fat.

Good call Hay Maker! George, we like ours to weigh 1000-1100 before we breed them at around 13 -14 months old. Having said that I would feel pretty comfratable with breeding an 800 pound heifer if you were going to feed her a little along the way prior to calving.

Ours weigh about 800 lbs in May and we breed in June. They turn into 1200 to 1350 lb. cows. We sure don't want them any bigger. 1150 would be better in our country. We find they breed up really good at that weight, don't take a downturn because of going on grass with no supplement. They are fit but not fat.

If I hold them to 2# per day they should go 1,100 # the first of June - - - So I guess that would work right - - - - they just look so small compared to the Charolis.

I can't get used to how much less they eat as well. It will take me three to four years but I feel I will be able to increase my numbers with Angus females crossed with a Charolis bull - - - I will AI the best cows to Angus for replacements and let the Charolis do clean-up work. Now I'm doing the reverse. Charolis cows AIing the best to good Charolis and then breeding to Angus. I have some great Cahroils bulls and hiefers for sale and the rest smokie calves that bring a preimum

My 1407 4-H heifer a few years ago weighed in over 1200 lbs at 15 months and she had not been fed much at all. She was an awesome heifer with a great disposition. Her heifer off of midland was much the same. Started off a little slow but gained a lot when she was close to a year. Definitely my favorite heifer on the place.... now if only dad would let me say she was mine!

Goerge, don't let the looks of the Black beauties fool you. They may look smaller than the whiteies, but the weight is what counts.

If you had straight Angus and straight char calves side by side exactly the same visual size, the Angus would outweight the char by a far sight. At weaning it can be 100-150 pounds, at mature it can be 300-400 pounds.

I had a veteran buyer in the yard last week and he missed my black steers by over 100 pounds. A huge miss for this guys experience. The scale doesn't lie.

Wound up with $800 per head on them... turned it back into some older bred cows at $600 each. Gotta love increasing the inventory levels like that.

Latest posts